Curalin

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It obviously works coz no one has come back to say it doesn't/. The Success and Testimonial sub thread tells us that
- in that I have not seen any entries for curalin in it.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have previously wondered about this too - any takers?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I personally think that if a drug works I'd want to see some medical studies that both demonstrate that and also that check out any possible side effects. I'm not a believer that just because it's herbal it's safe. (Fancy some deadly nightshade anyone?). Having said that, I am probably biased in favour of scientifically tested medications.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another that is sceptical of it's herbal so must be safe let alone must help. I prefer things that hav been tested and that we know how it interacts with other medications etc. Something relatively innocuous on its own can be unpleasant when it reacts with something else. A friend of mine is a doctor and until retirement worked dealing with interactions between medications.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin is probably the weakest diabetes drug made commercialy for blood sugar control. If Curalin did what is claimed for it then you can bet your bottom dollar thst Big Pharma would snap it up and market it. But it would have to be as good as or better than Metformin. Since they have not made any medications based on any of the plant ingredients, then clearly any hypoglycemic effect from them is weak. Or there are safety issues.

Alternatively, if NICE or the FDA licenced the ingredients as suitble supplements, then that too would indicate some efficacy. But so far none of the ingredients is recognised as a suitable treatment.

Personally I am using Bitter Melon supplements since I find they have small benefit in terms of insulin resistance reduction, but it seems to do nothing for my glucose levels.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Or there are safety issues.

To be fair, it could be that metformin is much cheaper than curalin? But I agree, if the ingredients work, you'd expect big pharma to have been all over it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To be fair, it could be that metformin is much cheaper than curalin? But I agree, if the ingredients work, you'd expect big pharma to have been all over it.
Actually, if it is produced under patent, they can charge what they want for it. It then becomes an issue for the CCG's to decide if they will fund it. You can bet your bottom dollor that it will be processed into a glossy pill and the actual ingredients will all have scientific names (same with Metformin or aspirin).

If it is available on prescription then price to the genersl public is immaterial. If it remains a supplement then it is in competition with Curalin, which is expensive.

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I showed the contents of Curalin to my consultant. He said it would be okay to take. Some of the ingredients are helpful in lowering blood glucose. It’s worth a try if you can afford it and works for a lot of people but I would say you still have to stay low carb.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin is probably the weakest diabetes drug made commercialy for blood sugar control.
@Oldvatr, Given that research suggests people with diabetes taking metformin are less prone to dying than pwd not so doing, and that before the pandemic non diabetic GPs were said to be taking metformin under the impression that it would prolong their lifespans, I'm surprised there is not more of a run on the stuff.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I showed the contents of Curalin to my consultant. He said it would be okay to take. Some of the ingredients are helpful in lowering blood glucose. It’s worth a try if you can afford it and works for a lot of people but I would say you still have to stay low carb.
@Speedbird, I strongly agree that low carb is what counts. Cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, linseed etc etc (Disclosure: I devotedly take 3 of the above myself) are useful to give a much needed morale boost but how much can any of them really reduce one's A1c or fasting bg? So far only severe carb restriction has made any dent in my A1c, and even that not at all to the extent I would like.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr, Given that research suggests people with diabetes taking metformin are less prone to dying than pwd not so doing, and that before the pandemic non diabetic GPs were said to be taking metformin under the impression that it would prolong their lifespans, I'm surprised there is not more of a run on the stuff.
Do you have any evidence to share that GP's were self prescribing Metfartin? Its not a statin, nor an opiod. It is dirt cheap, off licence, and weak in terms of blood sugar level effects. I do see GP's prescribing Dapagliflozin for CVD protection, which is what I believe is the aspect of Metformin that is applicable, and is the reason why Met is prescribed to T1D.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have any evidence to share that GP's were self prescribing Metfartin?
@Oldvatr, no evidence, but even my own GP may have mentioned this idea in passing, thinking it rather a joke. Neither he nor I is promoting the idea that taking Metformin makes you live longer. However a number of health gurus in America are taking Metformin for this purpose and blogging / podcasting about it. The research on the possible protective effect of Metformin against death from Covid is certainly a thing. Google it if you are interested.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr, no evidence, but even my own GP may have mentioned this idea in passing, thinking it rather a joke. Neither he nor I is promoting the idea that taking Metformin makes you live longer. However a number of health gurus in America are taking Metformin for this purpose and blogging / podcasting about it. The research on the possible protective effect of Metformin against death from Covid is certainly a thing. Google it if you are interested.
You may wish to reconsider
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(13)70152-9/fulltext

And here is the science bit
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/labs/pmc/articles/PMC8416892/

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Can we get back on topic. "Experience with Curalin"

Thanx in advance..

Reactions: gowest12

gowest12

@Speedbird, I strongly agree that low carb is what counts. Cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, linseed etc etc (Disclosure: I devotedly take 3 of the above myself) are useful to give a much needed morale boost but how much can any of them really reduce one's A1c or fasting bg? So far only severe carb restriction has made any dent in my A1c, and even that not at all to the extent I would like.
I’m finding that even severe carb restriction doesn’t do much either like you said not as much as I would like. I do wonder if any of these can help lower A1C???

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m finding that even severe carb restriction doesn’t do much either like you said not as much as I would like. I do wonder if any of these can help lower A1C???
I think that if you browse through the Success Stories and Testimonial sub threqd on this site, yuu would fimd very few entries associating these alternative treatments being associated or even mentioned. There is however, a load of entries that ascribe low carb to being successful.

• Agree
Reactions: Antje77