Why do some people not take T2 serious

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got to admit. Back in 1979 approaching a chrismas break at school in an English class. A teacher who I once respected waltzed around the room offering a tin of quality street.. I respectfully declined. Then was barracked & shown up as a diabetic when she was turned down.. "WEll. If you expect me to give sweets to a DIABETIC!"
Edit; she didn't last that long in the job a short while later..

As an adult , touring with a rock band in Europe .. A fan offered to buy me a beer after a gig.. (Call it a gift.) Not only did I not need to have the hassle of bolusing for one. I was also "designated driver" back to the hotel for the rest of the band.. I was happy to drink with this guy. But requested it was a "Diet Coke." Or "Coke light" in that part of the world....

The response.. "Coke light???! Are you gay??!! Yes, I replied.. Just to avoid explaining the carb content & related other stuff injecting & driving on the right. Late at night. "Customer service" as a musician. Still on the "clock."

There are a lot of misunderstanding of the differences... Lucky for me. I managed to shrug these fools off from an early age.. :)
I've seen far more than can be documented here...

It not about understanding the differences.. Just accept the difference. :)
Yes. Acceptance. I dont like to drink alcohol. My metabolism has me nauseous after even half a small glass of light wine. Yet people still wont/cant accept my choice to not drink alcohol. There is so much of this type of thinking about. Even in this day and age there is a lot of unenlightened people around.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
Yes. Acceptance. I dont like to drink alcohol. My metabolism has me nauseous after even half a small glass of light wine. Yet people still wont/cant accept my choice to not drink alcohol. There is so much of this type of thinking about. Even in this day and age there is a lot of unenlightened people around.
@lucylocket61 I have only had two occasions where I felt it best to accept alcohol (that I knew I wouldn't drink) One was being introduced to all the Fire Service team at a xmas get together where they were all bringing me glasses of wine to my table. I graciously accepted, took a small sip from each as they arrived, and then just left them. No one noticed since they were all celebrating :) The other was a similar situation in a pub. I hope this helps anyone in that situation as everyone is happy then x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I've found that "I'm a recovering alcoholic" works quite well with most people.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@lucylocket61 I have only had two occasions where I felt it best to accept alcohol (that I knew I wouldn't drink) One was being introduced to all the Fire Service team at a xmas get together where they were all bringing me glasses of wine to my table. I graciously accepted, took a small sip from each as they arrived, and then just left them. No one noticed since they were all celebrating :) The other was a similar situation in a pub. I hope this helps anyone in that situation as everyone is happy then x
I do the same.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And remember that there have been trillions of £ and $ spent on years and years of advertising to get everyone used to normalising what were occasional treats.

We are fighting a megalith industry just there to part us from our money with no thought to the health of anyone other than their profits and bank accounts

Reactions: 1pilgrim

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I know this is a negative and pessimistic interpretation of human behaviour as it occurs sometimes - but sometimes folks can gift with malevolent intent! I know it's awful. But I do believe this does happen sometimes. Families and even acquantanceships can be complex - sometimes! And there is ill-will behind that box of Christmas chocolate chip cookies given to a known type two diabetic.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've lost count of the number of people who have said to me, "Oh, you have the SERIOUS kind of diabetes, so have to be careful what you eat!" I always point out that all types of diabetes are serious. Some are surprised to hear this, while others suddenly remember hearing of a friend of a friend having serious problems with Type 2.
Our memories can be poor at times, hence boxes of chocolates as gifts. On the other hand, you can always put it down to Christmas shopping stress. As someone who is allergic to lots of things, including perfumes, I have been handed gifts and told, "You'll be able to use at least one thing in here." The gift was a make up bag or box containing perfumed soap, bath/shower gel and moisturiser. The thing I could use was the make up bag/box. I have come to accept this and try not to let it affect my Christmas gift choices the following year. Admittedly that can be difficult.

RosemaryJackson

I have been type 2 since 2009. At first, I too thought it was just an inconvenience. But then I realised why I was always falling asleep and took it more seriously. I'm very lucky, my friends all know and they actually help me to stay on track.

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I took my Dad to 'Desmonds' (eat what you like NHS advice) there were people there who'd had it for years and not done anything about it, even when losing limbs. We give any '****' to food banks too.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Our memories can be poor at times, hence boxes of chocolates as gifts
@dancer, not just our memories are poor, especially as you say, at stressful times. but the awareness / knowledge is just not there in the first place. I live next door to an organisation. Before Christmas a volunteer very kindly came round to my door with a card and a box of chocolates. I didn't want to accept the chocolates only to throw them away, so I refused explaining why. She said, "Oh, but they're vegan"!
However, when I reflect I realise that in the fairly recent past I was almost totally ignorant about diabetes, and I am still totally ignorant about many serious chronic health conditions and the needs of those who endure them. I hope sufferers will be patient with me and my blunders, and I remind myself to be patient with others who don't understand, maybe just haven't the time and attention to understand, my particular needs.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You are a much nicer person than I am. I feel that if someone says "No" to something, it's important for their wishes to be respected rather than be pressed to give details/change their mind.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a brief aside, I am constantly surprised at how many people think that a food is good for them, and they can eat as much as they want of it, if it is labelled very low fat or vegan. Critical thinking seems to be a rarer skill, which is concerning in an age where we are bombarded with conflicting information.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are a much nicer person than I am. I feel that if someone says "No" to something, it's important for their wishes to be respected rather than be pressed to give details/change their mind.
@Outlier, thank-you so much for the compliment, although ill-deserved! I do think some tolerance has come with age, as I look back (from the height, or depth, of my 79 years) on so many stupid opinions and actions I perpetrated in the past. How did anyone put up with me, let alone be my friend? And yet I also find myself boiling with rage and having to switch off the radio when certain views are aired.
Yes, of course our wishes should be respected, particularly when medical needs are involved. I plan sometime to reply to the question, "Don't you like (doughnuts or etc)?" "Yes, but I like my feet more." Calculated thoroughly to embarrass and maybe horrify the questioner. Disclaimer - I did not come up with this. I wish I could remember who did.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
people think that a food is good for them, and they can eat as much as they want of it, if it is labelled very low fat or vegan.
@lucylocket61 This used to be me!!! I would buy 10 almost overripe peaches for £1 in the market and scoff at least half at one go. Healthy fruit, right? I was going to live forever. I used to worry that the market might be closed down, but long before that happened (due of course to Covid) I was closed down. No more peaches, but a lot more knowledge. It sounds like the legend of the garden of Eden!

Reactions: SaskiaKC and zand

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We give any '****' to food banks too.
@welovedzig, during the first lockdown a friend rang me specially to tell me I might be eligible for free weekly food boxes, delivered to my house. I knew without checking, what turned out to be true - there was not one food item in those boxes I could safely have eaten.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really think some serious advertising needs to be done to educate the public of the consequences of this disease. Rant over now

I agree.
That said, I also think we need to take it upon ourselves to educate those close to us.
I also think I need to take my own advice seriously! That was one of my New Year's plans -- to manage my own T2 better and also set a good example for my T2 friend.
Thanks for your post -- hopefully I can do better than I've been doing the past 3 weeks ...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

A number of posts were deleted as off topic.

This thread regards inappropriate gifts in confliction with a diabetic's individual diet.

Please stay within the boundaries.

Thanx in advance.