Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin makes you hungry all the time!
Hi,

In my experience. The injectables. No. I'm hungry when I'm hungry. 95% of the time i can't do breakfast. I will have a brunch or lunch, then supper. I can fast for 12 hours, do a gig then want a meal? (Sing for my supper.)

However, regarding BG management. The urge to snack if it happens, may depend & corresponds on where BG wise I'm coming down from... & how rapid the correction brought me back in range?
I'm pretty responsive to Novorapid. (where other T1s report issues. But i'm not heavy on the personal carb consumption.) :)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Not always. My brother is a type 2 on insulin and he has found that, since he went on insulin, his hunger has dropped.
When I was on nova rapid I was hungry all the time and I also put a lot of weight on too. I found it a nightmare. I’m glad I’m not on it now.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was on nova rapid I was hungry all the time and I also put a lot of weight on too. I found it a nightmare. I’m glad I’m not on it now.
So you meant "insulin makes Me hungry"? Using 'you' makes it apply to all.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
So you meant "insulin makes Me hungry"? Using 'you' makes it apply to all.
No I didn’t mean that at all! I was told by my DSN at the time, the insulin will make you hungry so then you have to inject then eat and it just goes round in a cycle.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told by my DSN at the time, the insulin will make you hungry so then you have to inject then eat and it just goes round in a cycle.
And is this how it works for you?
Many of us don't have the experience that insulin makes you hungry.

Reactions: lucylocket61

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I didn’t mean that at all! I was told by my DSN at the time, the insulin will make you hungry so then you have to inject then eat and it just goes round in a cycle.
Your dSN is wrong for most people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your dSN is wrong for most people

Yarp, 46 years for me of pretty much the same advice for dodgy advised dosage.. Compensate by snacking.
I got a little fed up of being force fed?

Lol, my 90 year old mother still can't get the idea out of her head that I can't leave the house on a short trip without a packed lunch.. (& she has Alzheimers.) ;)

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
And is this how it works for you?
Many of us don't have the experience that insulin makes you hungry.
Yes it did make me hungry, I was eating all the time. I’m not on insulin now thankfully.