Cgm article in daily mail

steveo4

Have just read the article in the daily mail that states by March 31st all type one diabetics will be offered a cgm machine but in the photos it shows libre sensors instead. Two completely different things very confused.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Firstly, there is a NICE update under review which is due to be released in April. It is not guaranteed.
Secondly, Libre 3 is a CGM.

What do you expect from the Daily Mail?

Reactions: urbanracer

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That article was dated November 2018 :)

:banghead:That is bizarre & you are quite right.. after further scrutiny. Today's date was at the top of my browser.. :banghead: (along with the weather & wot not on the DM page.)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I follow Prof Partha Karr on twitter as he's been driving /accessibility for ALL type 1s. He has announced that this victory has been achieved. Most consultants /gp s are big fans of the fsl so I can't imagine that they would withold the opportunity unless they had serious doubts that the patient would benefit from it. In my experience they seem quite keen to jump through any hoops to get it to patients in spite of the bean counters who originally limited it to 20% of the population.

Reactions: Speedbird

woody1948

Have just read the article in the daily mail that states by March 31st all type one diabetics will be offered a cgm machine but in the photos it shows libre sensors instead. Two completely different things very confused.
Should be for insulin dependant first surely.?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Should be for insulin dependant first surely.?

All T1 are insulin dependent (with the possible exception of newly diagnosed LADA who can go a while without insulin).
But I totally agree it would be better if other insulin dependent folk were included.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All T1 are insulin dependent (with the possible exception of newly diagnosed LADA who can go a while without insulin).
But I totally agree it would be better if other insulin dependent folk were included.

My understanding is that the new guidelines show Type 2s on insulin included.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
I was shown this article today by a relative and was very excited so phoned my Dr who said they had no idea of this and was told to phone the diabetes clinic that I attend , they told me it was untrue and the article had caused them a nightmare with so many enquiries , it would seem like I do not come any were near the criteria needed to get one on prescription as I am quite well controlled and they have such a long list of people with type 1 who do meet the criteria and are waiting , it almost seems like fake news from the Mail !

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was shown this article today by a relative and was very excited so phoned my Dr who said they had no idea of this and was told to phone the diabetes clinic that I attend , they told me it was untrue and the article had caused them a nightmare with so many enquiries , it would seem like I do not come any were near the criteria needed to get one on prescription as I am quite well controlled and they have such a long list of people with type 1 who do meet the criteria and are waiting , it almost seems like fake news from the Mail !
If you can find the NICE guidelines then that would be better than a newspaper article. The daily mail doesn’t seem to link to the actual guidance. A quick web search and I couldn’t find anything except a recommendation and a draft guideline

hopefully it is accurate, but need to get the published guidance and use that with your team I would suggest gives a strong case

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
NICE guidelines out this morning. All good news. Now down to people to start ask8 g and showing up their area if refused.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,