Teeth!!!

Hi all, it's been 15 months since I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2. This past year my teeth have been awful. They keep chipping and cracking away. Only last month had to have one remove as it was bad and starting to get loose and now have an emergency dental appointment in an hour, because another tooth has cracked off. Has anyone else had problems with their teeth since diagnosed with diabetes?

finzi1966

Yes, although I’d never particularly made the connection. About 2 years before D diagnosis, I was put on medication that gave me a dry mouth and I’d always put it down to that. But yes, similar to your teeth in that they are crumbling and breaking, rather than being decayed.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not since my diagnosis but my hygenist mentioned that they are trained to detect diabetes.
When our Blood sugar levels are high, our body tries to get rid of the excess sugar where possible. This is why we wee a lot and why when I was first diagnosed, I realised my tears were sweet rather than salty. Another route our bodies take to get rid of the excess sugar is through saliva which results in more tooth decay.

So, if you are experiencing problems, it may be worth checking your levels and putting in that extra effort to keep them low.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope. My teeth were, and always have been, weak and breaking. If anything I've had fewer chips and cracks since diagnosis because there is now less sugar in my mouth/saliva

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I was told in my later 20s that I would loose all my teet.h due to my diabetes it wasn’t that my teeth were rotten it was just the bone holding them in was deteriorating , I was given an example by my dentist he told me if my body was a tooth the bone would come up to my chest however due to absolute pants control at the time the bone I had was only up to my knees , yes I have lost teeth ( I only have 7 left ) many I have pulled out myself because the have been loose ! When that has been done my teef are perfect not rotten at all we are talking back teeth too . In the last 7 years I have screwed the. Nut when and control is really good , and I’ve not lost any teeth in years , so like everything with diabetes have good control and complications are vastly reduced

Reactions: NadineThirkell

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My teeth are rubbish, I've had many broken teeth starting about 7 years ago. I had to have a molar pulled after it was root canalled and crowned as it cracked (the root canal and crown was because it broke) :(
I put it down to a few things including previously not going to the dentist often enough :D
My dentist recommended taking calcium and vitamin D supplements and I've found they have helped, no broken teeth for a while (touch wood!). I also have started using Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste, not sure yet if it helps but I figured it wasn't much dearer than my normal toothpaste so may as well give it a go.

Reactions: Prancy

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
My teeth constantly need work. My new dentist kept telling me I had to take better care of them. As soon as I reminded him I have T1, his manner completely changed.
Perhaps I just assumed he would know of my T1 from my file, maybe it's not that obvious?
They seem to decay from between teeth, molars and premolars.
I have got fingers like sausages, so flossing back there is ridiculous!
And I do get occasional cracked or chipped tooth.

• Informative
Reactions: filly

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I haven't had to have any teeth removed other than wisdom teeth and some as a child to make room for others, but my dentists have all told me that gum disease is an issue for diabetics. My T1 mum lost all hers aged 40, but this was after 20 years of T1 pre glucometer.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My teeth constantly need work. My new dentist kept telling me I had to take better care of them. As soon as I reminded him I have T1, his manner completely changed.
Perhaps I just assumed he would know of my T1 from my file, maybe it's not that obvious?
They seem to decay from between teeth, molars and premolars.
I have got fingers like sausages, so flossing back there is ridiculous!
And I do get occasional cracked or chipped tooth.
Try these, available in lots of places and on line.
I struggle with ordinary floss amd these are soo easy and simple, even for those awkward back nooks and crannies
https://wisdom-toothbrushes.com/products/clean-between-easy-slide-flossers-y-shape/

Hi again guys. Thank you very much for your replies and suggestions. I spoke to my dentist and he said I just need to watch my sugers, floss etc. Not much that u didn't really know. Will try the calcium and vit D. Thanks again

Madisons

Hi, same issues. I suddenly have a few loose teeth that just happened in the past year. Shocked me as I was always going to dentist to get cleanings and checkups every 6 mths. My dentist always told me that I have very short roots (bad genes) so bone is not very strong, but was maintaining with good brushing and floss. Last October, 2 teeth next to the front just suddenly went loose on me, around the same time when blood tests A1C 6.6 showed that I was pre-diabetic??!!! I guess the stress of the news just blew everything over, even my dentist was shocked that they suddenly came loose on their own. I already have a few implants but can't afford to get for every loose tooth! I am so stressed, not sleeping, just a mess and depressed and feel hopeless. I have to look into dentures and partials now and cant bear the thought of it, and being toothless when a flipper is being made in the meantime. So I know how you feel...i am in a constant state of anxiety.

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, same issues. I suddenly have a few loose teeth that just happened in the past year. Shocked me as I was always going to dentist to get cleanings and checkups every 6 mths. My dentist always told me that I have very short roots (bad genes) so bone is not very strong, but was maintaining with good brushing and floss. Last October, 2 teeth next to the front just suddenly went loose on me, around the same time when blood tests A1C 6.6 showed that I was pre-diabetic??!!! I guess the stress of the news just blew everything over, even my dentist was shocked that they suddenly came loose on their own. I already have a few implants but can't afford to get for every loose tooth! I am so stressed, not sleeping, just a mess and depressed and feel hopeless. I have to look into dentures and partials now and cant bear the thought of it, and being toothless when a flipper is being made in the meantime. So I know how you feel...i am in a constant state of anxiety.
How have things been going? I’m curious as I am preparing to get one dental implant. I had a 30+ year-old crown fail (fractured root) and needed extraction, so I got a bone graft to start the process. It’s healing really well. I’m wondering what others have gone through.

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

NeeNee87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My teeth have never been the best but I have had more issues the past few years with cavities and gum issues. My dentist did tell me diabetes does increase the tendency to have dental issues so I guess I am proof. :rolleyes:

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you can always turn it around. After the dental hell I went through in March, I went full on crazy with my dental care. I stopped eating sweets and brush twice a day, sometimes 3. Plus, floss daily. No matter how late it is, or how tired I am, I do it. I’m always working like crazy to get my BG down more. At my checkup and cleaning last month, the hygienist asked me if I had had laser treatment on my gums, they looked so healthy. I was thrilled, becuase I haven’t. Just meticulous with the cleaning. I feel great pressure to keep my teeth healthy, because it’s so freaking expensive if I don’t. Plus, the pain!

Reactions: filly