1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Teeth!!!

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by SamanthaCase85, Mar 17, 2022.

1. SamanthaCase85

SamanthaCase85 · Newbie

Hi all, it's been 15 months since I was diagnosed with diabetes type 2. This past year my teeth have been awful. They keep chipping and cracking away. Only last month had to have one remove as it was bad and starting to get loose and now have an emergency dental appointment in an hour, because another tooth has cracked off. Has anyone else had problems with their teeth since diagnosed with diabetes?

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. finzi1966

finzi1966 · Well-Known Member

Yes, although I’d never particularly made the connection. About 2 years before D diagnosis, I was put on medication that gave me a dry mouth and I’d always put it down to that. But yes, similar to your teeth in that they are crumbling and breaking, rather than being decayed.

3. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Not since my diagnosis but my hygenist mentioned that they are trained to detect diabetes.
    When our Blood sugar levels are high, our body tries to get rid of the excess sugar where possible. This is why we wee a lot and why when I was first diagnosed, I realised my tears were sweet rather than salty. Another route our bodies take to get rid of the excess sugar is through saliva which results in more tooth decay.

So, if you are experiencing problems, it may be worth checking your levels and putting in that extra effort to keep them low.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Nope. My teeth were, and always have been, weak and breaking. If anything I've had fewer chips and cracks since diagnosis because there is now less sugar in my mouth/saliva

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was told in my later 20s that I would loose all my teet.h due to my diabetes it wasn’t that my teeth were rotten it was just the bone holding them in was deteriorating , I was given an example by my dentist he told me if my body was a tooth the bone would come up to my chest however due to absolute pants control at the time the bone I had was only up to my knees , yes I have lost teeth ( I only have 7 left ) many I have pulled out myself because the have been loose ! When that has been done my teef are perfect not rotten at all we are talking back teeth too . In the last 7 years I have screwed the. Nut when and control is really good , and I’ve not lost any teeth in years , so like everything with diabetes have good control and complications are vastly reduced

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. sleepster

sleepster Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My teeth are rubbish, I've had many broken teeth starting about 7 years ago. I had to have a molar pulled after it was root canalled and crowned as it cracked (the root canal and crown was because it broke) :(
    I put it down to a few things including previously not going to the dentist often enough :D
    My dentist recommended taking calcium and vitamin D supplements and I've found they have helped, no broken teeth for a while (touch wood!). I also have started using Sensodyne Pronamel toothpaste, not sure yet if it helps but I figured it wasn't much dearer than my normal toothpaste so may as well give it a go.

7. chrisbug

chrisbug Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My teeth constantly need work. My new dentist kept telling me I had to take better care of them. As soon as I reminded him I have T1, his manner completely changed.
    Perhaps I just assumed he would know of my T1 from my file, maybe it's not that obvious?
    They seem to decay from between teeth, molars and premolars.
    I have got fingers like sausages, so flossing back there is ridiculous!
    And I do get occasional cracked or chipped tooth.

8. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I haven't had to have any teeth removed other than wisdom teeth and some as a child to make room for others, but my dentists have all told me that gum disease is an issue for diabetics. My T1 mum lost all hers aged 40, but this was after 20 years of T1 pre glucometer.

9. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Try these, available in lots of places and on line.
    I struggle with ordinary floss amd these are soo easy and simple, even for those awkward back nooks and crannies
    https://wisdom-toothbrushes.com/products/clean-between-easy-slide-flossers-y-shape/

• Useful Useful x 1
  10. chrisbug

chrisbug Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. SamanthaCase85

SamanthaCase85 · Newbie

Hi again guys. Thank you very much for your replies and suggestions. I spoke to my dentist and he said I just need to watch my sugers, floss etc. Not much that u didn't really know. Will try the calcium and vit D. Thanks again

12. Madisons

Madisons · Well-Known Member

Hi, same issues. I suddenly have a few loose teeth that just happened in the past year. Shocked me as I was always going to dentist to get cleanings and checkups every 6 mths. My dentist always told me that I have very short roots (bad genes) so bone is not very strong, but was maintaining with good brushing and floss. Last October, 2 teeth next to the front just suddenly went loose on me, around the same time when blood tests A1C 6.6 showed that I was pre-diabetic??!!! I guess the stress of the news just blew everything over, even my dentist was shocked that they suddenly came loose on their own. I already have a few implants but can't afford to get for every loose tooth! I am so stressed, not sleeping, just a mess and depressed and feel hopeless. I have to look into dentures and partials now and cant bear the thought of it, and being toothless when a flipper is being made in the meantime. So I know how you feel...i am in a constant state of anxiety.

• Hug Hug x 2
  13. rosemaree

rosemaree LADA · Well-Known Member

I seem to have endless problems with my teeth too. It seemed to all start after going to a - I can't remember what they call it, but a dentist who does a massive amount of unnecessary work, I guess like a scam artist - but he put huge amalgam fillings in all of my back teeth when I was 20, and I have had endless health and teeth problems since.

Relating to diabetes though, I felt I had 'issues with sugar' long before I was diagnosed, so it is hard to say. I also had a salivary gland removed after a horse riding accident, which I have since learned can have a rather huge effect on the strength of your teeth - same as the dry mouth you can get with diabetes, which also makes your teeth weaker. I also suffer from jaw problems and clenching, so even with a bite plate, I clench my teeth so much they seem to shift and break anyway. I often ask my current dentist, as my teeth seem to just be decaying much like @chrisbug, but I always get told it is my diet and that I need to brush, floss and use fluoride toothpaste. He also says, despite my teeth, my gums are healthy - which is strange, because gum issues seem to be more related to diabetes. I haven't always eaten superbly, but I have been pedantic with caring for my teeth, so it is a real bummer to be told this when I have always tried so hard to look after them. I get the feeling he does not fully understand diabetes though, but I am too scared to go to any other dentist at this point.

I am sorry you are battling with this @SamanthaCase85, it's really not fun :blackeye: I am also starting some extra supplements, lets hope they help us a bit!

• Hug Hug x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook