Never heard of leaky gut syndrome causing T2

oliveview

This evening as well as being told only obese people get T2, or people who drink alcohol and have a high fat diet, the woman also said T2 is caused by leaky gut syndrome. Well from a family history of T2, grandmother, father, brother, cousin and sister ( none obese ) I have not had any alcohol for about 24 years ( I was the only driver when my father was ill so didn't drink, now would be drunk on one glass so don't bother ) I must have a leaky gut, what ever that is as I do not eat a lot of fat any ideas how to plug my gut?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This evening as well as being told only obese people get T2, or people who drink alcohol and have a high fat diet, the woman also said T2 is caused by leaky gut syndrome. Well from a family history of T2, grandmother, father, brother, cousin and sister ( none obese ) I have not had any alcohol for about 24 years ( I was the only driver when my father was ill so didn't drink, now would be drunk on one glass so don't bother ) I must have a leaky gut, what ever that is as I do not eat a lot of fat any ideas how to plug my gut?
You have to admit, that just sometimes, comedy is all we have left!
The only reason I have heard relating to gut and T2, is a bacterium that causes an imbalance in your hormone response to certain foods. But of course, there are more reasons for T2.
You don't have to have a poor diet or a healthy lifestyle, skinny or obese, you can or won't get diabetes regardless!
good fats are so important, as is protein and low carb vegetables, exercise and lifestyle that is designed for your tastes and budgets.
a leaky gut would be serious, would it not?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"You don't have to have a poor diet or a healthy lifestyle, skinny or obese, you can or won't get diabetes regardless!"

Very true.
There's loads of research being done into why diabetes occurs. One of the best for gut issues is Dr William Davis from the US. Check out his book Supergut and various videos and podcasts he's done. Also check out Robert Lustig and his book Metabolical as to what foods can do to us.

And stop listening to whoever that woman was.!

oliveview

"You don't have to have a poor diet or a healthy lifestyle, skinny or obese, you can or won't get diabetes regardless!"

Very true.
There's loads of research being done into why diabetes occurs. One of the best for gut issues is Dr William Davis from the US. Check out his book Supergut and various videos and podcasts he's done. Also check out Robert Lustig and his book Metabolical as to what foods can do to us.

And stop listening to whoever that woman was.!
She blocked me after calling me an old hag ( old???) And saying she had looked at my photos and I needed a makeover I wished her a happy Mother's Day

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Leaky gut…. it is a thing, I believe. Disclaimer; my scanty knowledge comes from my vet when my cat was diagnosed with IBD many years ago. In cats, an inappropriate diet (specifically, carbs… funny, eh?) causes an inflammatory response in the gut, whereby it holds more and more water to try and move the stool along and get the (literal) c**p out of the body, and eventually the walls of the gut become porous to larger molecules. These are released into the blood stream (where they have no business being, normally they would be excreted) and can cause all sorts of inflammatory mayhem in a systemic body response.

All my cats have been raw-fed ever since, to their general overall benefit and not just resolution of digestive issues!

More disclaimer ; I could be wrong in the detail but the overall gist is right. Cats (and humans, I dare say) should eat a ‘biologically appropriate’ diet that has been minimally messed about with, IMO.:cat:

Reactions: oliveview