Carb count and insulin doses.

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
On 20 units of lantus before breakfast, novorapid breakfast, lunch, and tea, started off on 8 units of rapid with all meals but after discussion with diabetes nurse have decided to try the carb count when taking the rapid, still fumbling my way around it but need a bit of advice, breakfast having 45g of porridge with skimmed milk and a few blueberries, I worked that out to around 7 units but took 8, reading before was 7 two hours later 10.9,
tomorrow morning should I up my insulin dosage or is it a case of a smaller portion....Cheers

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
reading before was 7 two hours later 10.9,
Do note that injected fast-acting insulin generally lasts for 4 hours not 2, so 2 hours after taking it it may not have finished its work yet - you probably want to check 4 hours after taking it and see what you are at that point.

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No figures pricking...
@tinka21 do you have a continuous monitor? I was battling with getting my doses right, recently started a libre trial and I realised I needed to focus on getting the peak from the insulin to match the peak from the foods I am eating - all the adjusting I had been doing to my insulin and food wasn't working because these peaks were missing each other!

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will try that....
Do note that injected fast-acting insulin generally lasts for 4 hours not 2, so 2 hours after taking it it may not have finished its work yet - you probably want to check 4 hours after taking it and see what you are at that point.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The other thing that may help is asking if you can have a half unit pen. The difference between 7 and 8 units may be too great and 7.5 units may be better

Reactions: EllieM

tinka21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Checked bloods again this morning..8.2 before breakfast.
2hr check up to 13
4hr check dropped to 6.5
Is that OK regarding the carb counting. Thanks