1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Carb count and insulin doses.

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by tinka21, Apr 8, 2022.

1. tinka21

tinka21 Type 2 · Active Member

On 20 units of lantus before breakfast, novorapid breakfast, lunch, and tea, started off on 8 units of rapid with all meals but after discussion with diabetes nurse have decided to try the carb count when taking the rapid, still fumbling my way around it but need a bit of advice, breakfast having 45g of porridge with skimmed milk and a few blueberries, I worked that out to around 7 units but took 8, reading before was 7 two hours later 10.9,
    tomorrow morning should I up my insulin dosage or is it a case of a smaller portion....Cheers

2. rosemaree

rosemaree LADA · Well-Known Member

@tinka21 do you have a continuous monitor? I was battling with getting my doses right, recently started a libre trial and I realised I needed to focus on getting the peak from the insulin to match the peak from the foods I am eating - all the adjusting I had been doing to my insulin and food wasn't working because these peaks were missing each other!

3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do note that injected fast-acting insulin generally lasts for 4 hours not 2, so 2 hours after taking it it may not have finished its work yet - you probably want to check 4 hours after taking it and see what you are at that point.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. tinka21

No figures pricking...

5. tinka21

Will try that....

6. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The other thing that may help is asking if you can have a half unit pen. The difference between 7 and 8 units may be too great and 7.5 units may be better

• Like Like x 1
  7. tinka21

Ok

8. tinka21

Just checked again....just under 4 hours, it has dropped down to 4.4, time for a snack I think.

9. tinka21

Checked bloods again this morning..8.2 before breakfast.
    2hr check up to 13
    4hr check dropped to 6.5
    Is that OK regarding the carb counting. Thanks

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook