A really good find!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When walking back from my local hospital where I have my counselling, I came upon a butchers!
You know, the shop that only supplied meat, at the majority of its trade!
I couldn't believe it and business is good, cos the queue was long, I spent around twenty quid on fresh meat, that will do me for about three weeks, and they deliver as well!
Should have seen the ham joint!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
When walking back from my local hospital where I have my counselling, I came upon a butchers!
I couldn't believe it and business is good, cos the queue was long, I spent around twenty quid on fresh meat, that will do me for about three weeks, and they deliver as well!
How it always should be.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I have been a customer of our local butcher for 20 plus years, family owned and run for a lot longer they own four or five, although one shops trades under it's original name still.

Des sells farm eggs, and some great chutneys and pickles as well.

Their shop that still has it's original name, you have to take a ticket and wait for it to be called they also have free delivery.

£20.00 will get either 1 kgs of rib steak. or a couple of kgs of sausages.

Reactions: Lamont D

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
We have since the pandemic been visiting butchers and fruit & veg shops on our long walks that we now do and boy does it all taste so much better than the supermarket rubbish that I think we just got use to .

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am blessed where I live because there are TWO different very good butchers within a 5 mile radius. We are customers to both.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The thought of a local butcher in a huge metropolitan area, where the only meat supplies are in supermarkets, is the reason for my delight!
The last butcher in my immediate area went about six years ago, even the local market building in downtown had lost its last butcher and the prospects of revamping the market could be a waste of time!
Our high street is really struggling and even the major high street shops have gone. The charity shops, are struggling, the number of bookies has now shrunk to one. Even the pound shop had closed! It is a ghost town!
Shame

Reactions: jjraak

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have a top quality local butchers, unfortunately they make Waitrose prices look reasonable, £20 wouldn't buy enough meat for the weekend.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Our local farm shop has a butchers in it, but yesterday they were selling satsumas, cherries and asparagus - from Mexico. And my favourite cheese in their deli counter is 3 x the price it is in Morrisons. A lady bought a rib of beef to serve 6 that cost £94.
I left empty handed.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
We have a top quality local butchers, unfortunately they make Waitrose prices look reasonable, £20 wouldn't buy enough meat for the weekend.
Our local farm shop has a butchers in it, but yesterday they were selling satsumas, cherries and asparagus - from Mexico. And my favourite cheese in their deli counter is 3 x the price it is in Morrisons. A lady bought a rib of beef to serve 6 that cost £94.
I left empty handed.

I know for a fact they wouldn't be in business around here!
No one could afford that or have the sense not to pay that much!
I would want a whole cow for that!

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would want a whole cow for that!
It would be an old cow on it's last legs here for that price.

Live weight cattle are selling for well over $1.10 a kilogram at the the Gracemere markets last week.

https://www.mla.com.au/prices-markets/

Our fortnightly meat bill is around $150.00 which has mainly cheaper cuts from the front end for the two of us.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It would be an old cow on it's last legs here for that price.

red light district?

our bill for us has come down to around £50 per fortnight, because of my pension is paid!
and I am going to cut back on a lot of the reader cuts!