Are any members part of the Artifical Pancreas Trial?

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hello,

Are any members involved with this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-60133358

If so could you let us know how you are finding it? Is it a game changer or does guestimating carbs make it unwieldy?

Does it have low glucose alarms like the Freestyle Libre?

Thanks

Dillinger

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I have been trying to find out more about this trial and cannot see any technical information for it. It looks similar to the Tandem Slim Control IQ and Dexcom G6 as from the sound of it - it looks the same as what I am using, as I still have to input a bolus for carbs eaten, otherwise Control IQ will adjust my basal based on my BG reading, if anyone has any more information on this trial I would be interested to find out more.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its also sounds like the automode on the Medtronic machines - I've got the older 670g which is supposedly not as good as the 780g variant (which can do actual auto-corrects on its own supposedly rather than just adjusting the basal)

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

If so could you let us know how you are finding it? Is it a game changer or does guestimating carbs make it unwieldy?

Thanks

Dillinger
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-60069369
This triggered my memory about the Cambridge system. The illustration shows a G6 sensor. Perhaps this is phase 2 of a wider rollout ?
At the same time I have a pal being treated by the Royal Surrey and she is being offered a possible Medtronic pump and Medtronic cgm or Tandem + Dexcom option so I am now wondering whether this is part of the research project given that it is a research centre.
Wondered if anyone has experience of the Medronic pump/cgm combo since the nurse is steering her towards this because it has 'better analogue' (no idea what that means)?
I am not in a trial for my tandem/dexcom but lucky enough to get funding from my CCG (Surrey Downs) .

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

Thanks

Dillinger
Btw it is a game changer for me particularly with low carb. Alarms can be turned off. When I do eat carbs it can't cope with too many so as ever it isn't going to be good as endogemous insulin system but a further leap on from FSL certainly! As per my earlier post I use tandem and dexcom.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am part of this trial :) Medtronic 780g with Guardian 3 Sensor.

The Sensor has a few alarms (curse you alarms!!!). It has an alarm for when my blood sugar is dropping low, it recommends a finger stick test to make sure you have a correct reading. There's an alarm for if my blood sugar is going too high (mine is set at 14mmol). It will alarm if the sensor and insulin pump has lost connection with each other.

I can only account for my experience of using this setup but essentially I am in something called "auto mode" which I believe is a Medtronic term. My basal rate is worked out automatically every 5 minutes by my insulin pump based on the readings that my Guardian 3 sensor is sending to it. Anything food-wise that I eat I have to input the carbs myself. If I have miscalculated the amount of insulin needed and I start drifting high the pump will recognize that I don't have enough insulin on board to keep me within target range and will give me more insulin to bring me back down into range. That's also the same if it thinks I have too much on board/I'm starting to go low it will cut off the insulin. I have to calibrate the sensor every 12 hours and can calibrate it any other time I feel I need to.

I will admit to the fact I was a terrible Diabetic beforehand and was high more times than I wasn't. I started this trial in December 2021 with a HbA1c of 78. In February I was re-tested and it had gone down to 42.

I have regular updates with the nurse at the hospital in regards to how I'm feeling, is this benefiting me, any changes that can be made etc.

Below is a Snapshot of my blood sugar average over a 1 month period (black dotted line). I'm in range roughly 70% of the time, given that I was in range less than 10% of the time before the trial I take that as a massive win and it is absolutely a game-changer for me :) Please feel free to ask me any other questions you have.
Screenshot 2022-04-03 at 13.25.55.png

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm remember seeing something about an artificial pancreas which injects insulin and glucagon to control blood glucose within tight limits, minimum risk of hypos ... I thought that might have been something being trialed :(

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Nicola M That's amazing results, how did you get involved in this ?

Reactions: EllieM

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicola M That's amazing results, how did you get involved in this ?

A nurse from my hospital actually rang me to ask if I would like to be a part of the trial. There was a couple of criteria that I had to meet.

- Be using an insulin pump and freestyle libre for more than 3 months
- Have a recent HbA1c that is more than 8.5% (70 mmol/mol)

I ticked the first box easily, I had to have my HbA1c re-done as my last one was 6+ months before I was called but it came back at 78, once it was confirmed I was eligible I was given a date to attend the hospital for training :)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Nicola M. Well done on amazing results.

I'm slightly confused what the purpose of this trial is, as people in my area are on the same pump and sensors as you, but are not part of a trial. Is it to prove it's value in better hba1c and time in range, than a pump and libre?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Hopeful34 Yes, it’s to prove that this benefits us in terms of better HbA1c/time in range which can lower the chances of complications in the future, saving the NHS money in the long term.

Vickstar36

Hi, i've just gone on the MiniMed™ 780G system with Guardian™ 4 sensor and wondered if anyone else was on that one? @Nicola M you seem to be doing well with yours :) how do you get used to the tubing again as i've been on tubeless pumps for a while now and worried about my cats eating it.

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, i've just gone on the MiniMed™ 780G system with Guardian™ 4 sensor and wondered if anyone else was on that one? @Nicola M you seem to be doing well with yours :) how do you get used to the tubing again as i've been on tubeless pumps for a while now and worried about my cats eating it.

I’ve only ever had tubed pumps but I do have an 8 month niece who loves to pull at mine any chance she gets. I usually always make sure mine is tucked under my clothing so it can’t be seen/tugged at. In all honesty in terms of wearing a pump with tubes it’s just about making sure you remember that there is a tube there and making sure you’re more cautious when changing outfits, going to the bathroom etc.

Vickstar36

I’ve only ever had tubed pumps but I do have an 8 month niece who loves to pull at mine any chance she gets. I usually always make sure mine is tucked under my clothing so it can’t be seen/tugged at. In all honesty in terms of wearing a pump with tubes it’s just about making sure you remember that there is a tube there and making sure you’re more cautious when changing outfits, going to the bathroom etc.

Thanks for your reply, and for the advice. I'll look into getting something like a belt so that it doesn't slip off or get eaten.

Reactions: EllieM