Fruit. Thoughts please..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you testing your blood glucose levels after eating them?

I doubt they are helping much..

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
We tend to think fruit and veg is good for us but the down side is if you are diabetic it will spike your blood sugar which if you are controlling it well is not such a bad thing , if you test and you're around the 4 mark having a banana might take you up to 7-8 and then drop , but if you're already at 8 and eat the said banana it might take you up 12-14 which you don't really want to do . We are all different so the only answer is to test and see how it affects you but in answer to your original question yes it will raise your blood sugar .

Reactions: lessci

Jo123

I'd test and see.
I was only prediabetic, now normal hba1c's but all that fruit would put me to about 12.
I eat a couple of strawberries to keep my blood sugar normal.

PaulJ150265

Thanks. This is what I am thinking. I eat fruit during the week and I’m higher than weekends.
I think I’m going to reduce the intake and take from there.

Reactions: Redshank

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Strawberries are good just not too many- I can have them in the mornings but not pm for some reason.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not only do most fruits have a fair whack of glucose but they also have fructose. Fructose won’t show on a blood glucose meter but it can only be processed in small amounts by the liver. Any excess gets stored as fats, mostly around the liver and is a significant contributing factor to non alcoholic fatty liver. NAFL is part and parcel of the metabolic mess that is type 2 and makes us “more” diabetic and resistant to insulin thus adding to our problems. Veg can have the same nutritional benefits without the fructose. Stick to berries, cucumber, peppers etc or possibly carrots (test them on a meter some of us have issues with the starch in them)

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
Sometimes I eat a banana to relive hypoglycemia. It's a fruit with higth glycemic index. Be careful

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I am ditching the strawberries then as at the moment my fasting is in the 7s. I know dp plays a part but I have been eating more strawberries than normal and that could explain why my sugars have been stubborn recently. I have given up cream and most dairy now apart from butter and occasional bit of cottage cheese.

PaulJ150265

Thank you for all your interesting thoughts on eating Fruit. This may be my biggest problem. So instead of fruit , what is a good alternative to taking fruit to work. ?

D

Deleted member 543160

I can eat a number of low carb fruit in very small quantities without any real issue - my meter says OK. So: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, gooseberries, red & black currants, cranberries, occasionally a few cherries or a fig. Apples and oranges I can manage a little bit of if I split them over several helpings, e.g. 4 portions of blackberries and an apple or rhubarb with an orange. I'll also sometimes have slightly higher carb fruit in season.

I also believe that such small amounts of natural fructose are not an issue - it's things like high-fructose corn syrup or sneakily added fructose to food ingredients that are the real problem, IMO.

Diet Doctor has some useful information and charts regarding low carbs and fruit: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits but your meter should be your actual guide.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat "small portions" of most of the local fruit that is grown in the area I live in the Wide Bay, the only fruit I steer clear of is bananas.

My hba1c is good enough to be classed as in remission although I prefer the word recovery, for the last couple of years.

Someone said a long time ago to "suck it and see", it works for me, it may work for you if you test your bgl before and after eating it to see what results are.
GI2hEtD.png

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. So misleading that GP surgery nurses give you leaflets to eat more fresh fruit.
Not misleading - downright dangerous.
At the 'education' meetings I attended we were told similar dangerous things. I should have protested more. I saw one of my fellow participants at the supermarket a while later - minus a foot and the other one all swathed in dressings in a rubber 'shoe'.

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I loved fruit. But I love myself more. There are lots of things we T2s can still eat, so I don't dwell on what I can't eat. Might work for others - worth a try.