Type 2 Diabetes type 1 or 2?

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all
Was waiting for c pep gad antibody and thyroid bloods and I called the diabetes team today

Nurse said I am producing ‘loads of insulin’ (1199) so she ‘doubts I’m type 1’ but the GAD antibody test hasn’t come back yet. My thyroid was low but last test showed it’s normal.

Despite low carb and intermittent fasting my bm starts around 5-7 then shoots up to 12/13/14, returning to 5-7 mostly at evenings but I’m not eating one meal a day plus a low carb purition shake.

I’m on metformin and gliclazide max doses and they want to add linagliptin now.

I guess my question is can you still produce ‘loads’ of insulin and have antibodies? Or should I rule out type 1/Lada now?

Why is my blood sugar spiking like that despite me not eating all day, eating very little in the evening and low carb? Shouldn’t I have seen an improvement in two months at least of this?

I am scared to exercise as it spiked me to 16 last time. I’m losing weight but very slowly

Am I destined to be on meds and just be told to lose more weight and never see an improvement?
Oh am so confused and disheartened right now.

Thanks for reading

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, your insulin/hormone response to food maybe part of the problem.
Or it could be insulin resistance!
Or too much insulin that doesn't stop the glucose spike.
Other hormones may have an impact in what is delivered when eating especially cortisol.
The meds might not be the correct meds or the dosage is too low.
Or you don't have T2, and been misdiagnosed.
Or a virus.
Or, we are all different and you have a condition that nobody has seen before!!!!!!!!!

Best wishes.,

Reactions: iwilltouchyourcat

Mrs HJG

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Speak to your team - following from my reply on your other post, I was warned off taking any other meds than metformin (and insulin if required) as these can be detrimental to your pancreas, and until you know for sure if you are or aren't T1, then I would be very wary taking more without specifically asking and/or knowing your GAD results. Others on here know what meds are damaging and overwork your pancreas, search about it is mentioned frequently, but I know I should take none (from inexperienced medics! Consultant's words not mine!).

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you research Gliclazide and pancreas burnout, you will find that there is no link between them. The medication does not thrash the pancreas like its predecessors.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3310990/

I did some recent research into c peptide and insulin, and some recent studies have found that the amount of insulin needed is proportional to surface volume of the body. So obese individuals produce and require more insulin. This in turn affects the c peptide test, and the research shows that this is one aspect that leads to wrong diagnosis in that TOFI get dx'ed T1D earlier than weightier cousins simply because they narturally produce less insulin. It is the main reason why losing weight seems to improve insulin sensitivity. The ND diet results show that over the 8 weeks of the study, the ones that lost the most weight had the best improvement in insulin response in the IGTT tests.

It does not help you solve your connundrum though. I too have been on max Metformin and Max Gliclazide and also on Actos at the same time as having humingous and horrendous glucose levels. In my case I went LCHF and dropped about 8 stone in about 3 months, and I managed to give up most of my medications. But I am TOFI and got back to what I weighed when at Uni. But it surprised me that diet could achieve that improvement whereas max meds did nowt for me. I am currently on 40 mg of Glic and no Metformin, and my last HbA1c was 45.

Although I did go keto in the early days of LCHF, I found I lost too much weight, so I turned it up a bit and now I run above my fat burning threshold. You say you are not losing weight. Well it sounds counter intuitive, but I found increasing fat helped me lose weight. Sounds ridiculous, but actually it has been shown that eating fat does not make you fat.

Your fasting (AM) reading seem ok, but something is causing the levels to rise during the day. Now there must be a source for that glucose. Either your liver is emptying (liver dump) but that normally happens when you wake, not during the day. Or your liver is synthesizing glucose out of protein i,e, scavenging, which would be noticeable by muscle weakness and weight loss. I suspect liver dump. It does take a while to discharge the liver storage, and glucose does not appear out of thin air, IF is often suggested for resetting the metabolism, but I believe it works best if you vary the times and duration of the fasts. If IF is regular and predictable, your body gets used to it and compensates.

iwilltouchyourcat

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you research Gliclazide and pancreas burnout, you will find that there is no link between them. The medication does not thrash the pancreas like its predecessors.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3310990/

I did some recent research into c peptide and insulin, and some recent studies have found that the amount of insulin needed is proportional to surface volume of the body. So obese individuals produce and require more insulin. This in turn affects the c peptide test, and the research shows that this is one aspect that leads to wrong diagnosis in that TOFI get dx'ed T1D earlier than weightier cousins simply because they narturally produce less insulin. It is the main reason why losing weight seems to improve insulin sensitivity. The ND diet results show that over the 8 weeks of the study, the ones that lost the most weight had the best improvement in insulin response in the IGTT tests.

It does not help you solve your connundrum though. I too have been on max Metformin and Max Gliclazide and also on Actos at the same time as having humingous and horrendous glucose levels. In my case I went LCHF and dropped about 8 stone in about 3 months, and I managed to give up most of my medications. But I am TOFI and got back to what I weighed when at Uni. But it surprised me that diet could achieve that improvement whereas max meds did nowt for me. I am currently on 40 mg of Glic and no Metformin, and my last HbA1c was 45.

Although I did go keto in the early days of LCHF, I found I lost too much weight, so I turned it up a bit and now I run above my fat burning threshold. You say you are not losing weight. Well it sounds counter intuitive, but I found increasing fat helped me lose weight. Sounds ridiculous, but actually it has been shown that eating fat does not make you fat.

Your fasting (AM) reading seem ok, but something is causing the levels to rise during the day. Now there must be a source for that glucose. Either your liver is emptying (liver dump) but that normally happens when you wake, not during the day. Or your liver is synthesizing glucose out of protein i,e, scavenging, which would be noticeable by muscle weakness and weight loss. I suspect liver dump. It does take a while to discharge the liver storage, and glucose does not appear out of thin air, IF is often suggested for resetting the metabolism, but I believe it works best if you vary the times and duration of the fasts. If IF is regular and predictable, your body gets used to it and compensates.

Thank you for your replies this is very helpful. I am overweight and carry that weight around my middle (I’m like a beanbag on two rulers, body shape wise!) so your suggestion of liver dump seems reasonable. Or it is type 1/Lada and I just need to wait for the gad result either way. I’m just reluctant to ‘throw more meds at the problem’ if what I am doing in terms of diet will be beneficial in the long run and I just need to wait until my liver runs out of glucose to dump. I am losing weight- ive gone from obese to overweight - I’ve lost 6.6 kg this month but last week put on 0.5kg despite eating ****** all… although today i weighed myself and have lost another kilo so it seems to go in fits and starts . I am vegan (by choice) AND have coeliac disease which complicates low carb but I’m sticking to 30-40 net carbs a day and have good fats like avocado nuts (not too many) and olive oil as my fat sources. Plus the purition shakes are made from flax and chia and all the good stuff. I’ve decided to try the fast 800 to see if that helps speed things along. My morning and evening readings are pretty much okay (compared to feb when I got dka) and are in the 5-7 range largely. But it’s that weird lunchtime peaks I’ve been doing IF since end of feb with no cheating and am into the routine of it now so your advice on changing it up is something I’ll do.

I wish I could have these conversations with the medical professionals I speak to! Everyone here is so helpful and knowledgeable. I think I won’t take the linagliptin until I get my gad results as if it is just a case of type 2 that will eventually get better the longer I look after my diet and lose weight I can go for the light at the end of the tunnel. And if it is type 1, then I wouldn’t remain on those meds anyway (apart from metformin I guess)

This whole process has been a rollercoaster and yesterday was a particularly bad day. I constantly feel judged because of my weight and it’s all the doctors see. I get it, I need to lose weight but I have been doing and am working so hard to trying to change my lifestyle. It just so hard sometimes when you don’t see results and are constantly confused about what your various organs are doing!

Thanks again all