andrzejLKS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had no idea about this earlier but,

today, I put my phone up to my sensor without the app open out of curiosity and it still scanned the sensor, and it took me 4 months since diagnosis to realise this. Not sure if everyone else did this, but hey! It works! (well, on my Samsung phone anyway so give it a try if you haven't!)

It's really helpful as I don't have to scroll looking for my app for a good 15 seconds, and instead just get the reading instead.

Reactions: Larissima

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes I've been doing this since starting the Libre; I think it's part of the online training.

andrzejLKS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes I've been doing this since starting the Libre; I think it's part of the online training.

Never knew! Wasn't taught online, only in hospital a few hours before discharge. Learn something knew everyday

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the NFC working without the app running, I have paid for something in a shop with just holding my phone up to the reader using either with bank debit card or Google Pay not open.

It's really unsafe when you think about it, much safer to have NFC turned of so your bank details do not get skimmed.Then turn it back on when you need it.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
New It's the NFC working without the app running,
The app IS running. Unless you Force Close an app, it continues to run in the background. You can keep NFC enabled (for Libre) and Force Close Google pay (or not enter your bank details into your phone) if you are concerned.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The app IS running. Unless you Force Close an app, it continues to run in the background. You can keep NFC enabled (for Libre) and Force Close Google pay (or not enter your bank details into your phone) if you are concerned.
That's what I wrote, TURN OFF NFC when not in use.

Also I am not concerned about my bank details being on the my android phone because I turn NFC off unless I am going to use it.. :meh:

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I know exactly what you guys are talking about *whistling*

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's what I wrote, TURN OFF NFC when not in use.

Also I am not concerned about my bank details being on the my android phone because I turn NFC off unless I am going to use it.. :meh:
That is NOT what I wrote.
If you are using Libre, you do NOT have to turn off NFC to protect your bank details. You just have to ensure the GooglePay app is not running in the background.
You MUST enable NFC for Libre. It is NO risk.

If you are not using Libre, you can do what you want but don't mislead those of us who use technology.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've had this using the last 3 phones.
(All Samsung. I have a habit of killing them.)
I use a 3rd party app for the full on CGM thing.

But when scanning with NFC on the last 2 devices I would get a message giving me a choice, Libre or... Glimp or xDrip, Diabox..
My current phone seems to prioritise the Librelink app if the NFC picks up the sensor.

I could be wrong, but the sensor when started can work also like a "tag" opening the librelink app when scanned with the phone..?

I've never needed to use tags with my device.
https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/nfc-tag.htm
But I have seen stuff where used Libre sensors have been utilised for this purpose..?

Reactions: NadineThirkell

AuntieTx

I am on my 3rd sensor, been learning a lot from my Techy T1 friend (I'm waiting for Insulin), but as long as I have opened my phone I can scan, it won't scan without being unlocked.

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately this does not work on iPhones. It would be good if did

Thanks for the info