Steroid injection for trigger finger?

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone had this done? Only I was refused it yesterday. I am Type 1 and was fully aware that steroid injections can increase your blood sugar, as i understand it, for a few days. However the physio who was going to do it refused because she looked at my hbA1c of 61 (ok, not ideal but on the other hand not terrible) and said they only did it if it was between 20 and 42 ?!?! Now, this seems incredibly unrealistic, and sounds like the result of someone WITHOUT diabetes to me. I tried to explain that I monitor my blood sugar regularly, even more so since I got the Libre, but she said Physios were not qualified to do it.

I have Googled steroid injections and every site I have looked on says that the rise in blood sugar is temporary. It's not as if I am going to have a sudden attack of something that could be life threatening! I HAVE BEEN MONITORING AND ADJUSTING INSULIN FOR 40 YEARS! Sorry but it makes me so angry as I have had this finger problem for 9 months. AT no point was it outline that if my hbA1c wasn't perfect that I coulodnt have it. I broke down in tears. Even NICE say 48 is the ideal figure.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m type2 and had this done about 3 years or so ago. I was worried about the blood sugar rise but told not to worry by the consultant who gave the injection. In the event the biggest rise I had was sitting in the waiting room and was likely caused by stress!

After the injection my blood sugars quickly (within an hour) returned to my normal levels and stayed there.

The procedure was also successful - a few days rest and no subsequent problems.

Hope you manage to get it done.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know I've had it done (many years ago) and I know my HbA1c was certainly nowhere near 40 or less - it was probably about 60ish or more at the time.
Note this was done at my docs by my docs, if your physio isn't allowed to can they refer you to someone who can give it to diabetics - cos yeah many many many diabetics will not be below 42 (personally I have never been below 42)

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had it done on 2 fingers and 1 thumb at separate times, with an hba1c above 42. I had a temporary rise in blood sugar, which was easily managed with extra insulin. It's a minute amount of steroid they're injecting for a finger in comparison to say a shoulder.

I hope you can get it sorted soon, as it made such a difference for me. So sorry you were turned away.

Braye

Has anyone had this done? Only I was refused it yesterday. I am Type 1 and was fully aware that steroid injections can increase your blood sugar, as i understand it, for a few days. However the physio who was going to do it refused because she looked at my hbA1c of 61 (ok, not ideal but on the other hand not terrible) and said they only did it if it was between 20 and 42 ?!?! Now, this seems incredibly unrealistic, and sounds like the result of someone WITHOUT diabetes to me. I tried to explain that I monitor my blood sugar regularly, even more so since I got the Libre, but she said Physios were not qualified to do it.

I have Googled steroid injections and every site I have looked on says that the rise in blood sugar is temporary. It's not as if I am going to have a sudden attack of something that could be life threatening! I HAVE BEEN MONITORING AND ADJUSTING INSULIN FOR 40 YEARS! Sorry but it makes me so angry as I have had this finger problem for 9 months. AT no point was it outline that if my hbA1c wasn't perfect that I coulodnt have it. I broke down in tears. Even NICE say 48 is the ideal figure.
I am no doctor but I will tell you I think the two steroid shots I had is what put me into diabetes. My gastro doctor sounds like he agrees with me. I had every side effect you could have with the injections and I am back to hurting just like before I had the injections. I did not have diabetes before the injections. Even though the half life is short lived the steroids stay in your body for awhile.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I have a frozen shoulder. The physio said I would usually be offered a steroid injection, and she would still be happy to do that if I got permission from my diabetes consultant. Diabetes doc said no problem, you're capable of adjusting your insulin. Not sure if I'm going to ask for it, as I'm showing slow improvement with just physio.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've had it done on 2 fingers and 1 thumb at separate times, with an hba1c above 42. I had a temporary rise in blood sugar, which was easily managed with extra insulin. It's a minute amount of steroid they're injecting for a finger in comparison to say a shoulder.

I hope you can get it sorted soon, as it made such a difference for me. So sorry you were turned away.
¹

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m type2 and had this done about 3 years or so ago. I was worried about the blood sugar rise but told not to worry by the consultant who gave the injection. In the event the biggest rise I had was sitting in the waiting room and was likely caused by stress!

After the injection my blood sugars quickly (within an hour) returned to my normal levels and stayed there.

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I know I've had it done (many years ago) and I know my HbA1c was certainly nowhere near 40 or less - it was probably about 60ish or more at the time.
Note this was done at my docs by my docs, if your physio isn't allowed to can they refer you to someone who can give it to diabetics - cos yeah many many many diabetics will not be below 42 (personally I have never been below 42)

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1

DiabeticDi

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I, hopefully will have my injections within the next week or so!
I had one in my right hand many years ago before my carpal tunnel operation.
my left thumb is useless with severe arthritis, and in constant pain, so it was a no brainer!
My last hba1c levels were 37, so I should be fine!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Yes had it done as type 1 . I asked if the steroid would increase bgs and was reassured that at such a small dose it wouldn't and that turned out to be true. Sounds like BS to me so I hope you will question it. My hba1c was NOT perfect either.
Ask again, remain calm and reasonable until you get an explanation that makes sense or it gets booked in.

Reactions: EllieM