Thinking about vision and mobility loss

Marmar00

Hello!!!
I am a type 1 d for many years. As time goes on i become more and more anxious about complications, especially since my control has been really sloppy. So I'd like to ask about two of my main concerns, vision and mobility loss (and hearing loss).What do these complications look like ? Do i have to worry about complete blindness(and hearing loss) and inability to walk?
I would really appreciate your views guys. Thank you in advance

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Marmar00 It's easy to get mentally swamped by what could happen in the future, but I feel it's an unnecessary stress to worry about something that may or may not happen. The most important aspect of living with t1 is to be mindful of taking care of yourself day to day and doing your best where you can, are you having yearly eye screening tests done ?

Marmar00

Hello @Marmar00 It's easy to get mentally swamped by what could happen in the future, but I feel it's an unnecessary stress to worry about something that may or may not happen. The most important aspect of living with t1 is to be mindful of taking care of yourself day to day and doing your best where you can, are you having yearly eye screening tests done ?
First of all thank you so much for the quick reply.I am having yearly eye screening and so far no damage.Not sure about neuropathy yet.I guess i should ask it better , can we intervene when these complications first start, to prevent complete loss? Is a better bg control and medical treatment enough to stop the progression,if we catch it early?
Thanks again!!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had type 1 for 40+ years and my health philosophy/aspiration is to prevent complications by not ignoring poor control and doing my best. This is where I put my energy.
This is because I suffered vision loss which ironically bought my lackadaisical approach into sharper focus. I did not go blind but can't drive. This was a blessing in disguise as it turned out because it got me a lot fitter!
Prevention/cure
My father in law has had both neuropathy and heart disease. The former can't be cured and some of his pain is managed by meds. The latter could have killed him (50% first heart attacks are fatal I believe) but it got picked up and he had a quadruple bypass.
Kidney disease can be treated but again you need to prevent further damage occurring.
So hopefully you are keeping up with foot checks, urine and blood tests at least annually. If you are in the UK it seems you sometimes have to push for these things right now but in the meantime keep up on the damage limitation work!

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Firstly let me say I understand your worries. I have had numerous complication including heart attack poor kidney function and loss orf my leg below the knee ! But life is great. My complications were down to absolute terrible control for over 30 years , my control now is much much better ! My contRol iiznt tight I keep my levels between 5 and 9 , variations now me again won’t cause many probs and with todays technology blood sugar control is easier than it’s ever been .your worries are understandable but by recognising the problems ,as you have , will probably prevent you from having them

Last edited: