1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Thinking about vision and mobility loss

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Marmar00, May 13, 2022.

1. Marmar00

Marmar00 · Member

Hello!!!
    I am a type 1 d for many years. As time goes on i become more and more anxious about complications, especially since my control has been really sloppy. So I'd like to ask about two of my main concerns, vision and mobility loss (and hearing loss).What do these complications look like ? Do i have to worry about complete blindness(and hearing loss) and inability to walk?
    I would really appreciate your views guys. Thank you in advance

2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hello @Marmar00 It's easy to get mentally swamped by what could happen in the future, but I feel it's an unnecessary stress to worry about something that may or may not happen. The most important aspect of living with t1 is to be mindful of taking care of yourself day to day and doing your best where you can, are you having yearly eye screening tests done ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Marmar00

Marmar00 · Member

First of all thank you so much for the quick reply.I am having yearly eye screening and so far no damage.Not sure about neuropathy yet.I guess i should ask it better , can we intervene when these complications first start, to prevent complete loss? Is a better bg control and medical treatment enough to stop the progression,if we catch it early?
    Thanks again!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had type 1 for 40+ years and my health philosophy/aspiration is to prevent complications by not ignoring poor control and doing my best. This is where I put my energy.
    This is because I suffered vision loss which ironically bought my lackadaisical approach into sharper focus. I did not go blind but can't drive. This was a blessing in disguise as it turned out because it got me a lot fitter!
    Prevention/cure
    My father in law has had both neuropathy and heart disease. The former can't be cured and some of his pain is managed by meds. The latter could have killed him (50% first heart attacks are fatal I believe) but it got picked up and he had a quadruple bypass.
    Kidney disease can be treated but again you need to prevent further damage occurring.
    So hopefully you are keeping up with foot checks, urine and blood tests at least annually. If you are in the UK it seems you sometimes have to push for these things right now but in the meantime keep up on the damage limitation work!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Firstly let me say I understand your worries. I have had numerous complication including heart attack poor kidney function and loss orf my leg below the knee ! But life is great. My complications were down to absolute terrible control for over 30 years , my control now is much much better ! My contRol iiznt tight I keep my levels between 5 and 9 , variations now me again won’t cause many probs and with todays technology blood sugar control is easier than it’s ever been .your worries are understandable but by recognising the problems ,as you have , will probably prevent you from having them

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #5 Ushthetaff, May 13, 2022 at 5:35 PM
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook