what a day yesterday was!

ROE100

Woke as normal 6am
Had breakfast
Arrived at supermarket by 7am
Finished a bit later at the supermarket than normal due to only 1 check out and there seem to be a lot more people shopping - even the self check-out had queues.
Read paper - then decided to do a big thorough tidy & clean of bedroom and office space 10.00.
Finished around 1.30 ish and had lunch which was a later than normal.
Felt on the tired side so decided to get in to bed to watch up some catch up TV.
Around 4.20pm left sleepy but decided to continue watching
Next thing I know I have someone shouting at me and I seem to be on the floor (according to them this was round 6.30pm) trying to get me to consume sweet things - but my brain was saying your in bed (as my duvet had followed me to the floor and the person had placed the pillows also on the floor) and you are dreaming you are in the floor so don't worry but eat the sweet item as it's a dream so no worries and it will stop them shouting at you!
I reasoned it was a dream as how can I be in the floor and the room looked different to normal (as i don't normally sit on the floor in my bedroom) as things not in their normal place (remember I did a big tidy up so moved things).
After while I thought maybe this isn't a dream and this is real and then certain things in the room started to look a bit familiar.
So yes I came round (no abmbulance needed) but was still very clammy and cold but ate some more food.
Test before bed high (16.3) so took a token injnection 4 units and finall fell a sleep even though feeling cold still and sick due to being high. Woke around 1.30ish did another test and still felt sick 11.3 but decided to leave the level as is
Woke this morning 7.5 but still not 100% feeling great.

So I think a combination of the extra cleaning and the historic drop off a cliff bloods 5 hours after eating caused the awful Hypo. I must now address this drop of the cliff issue as I have been just dealing with it as i am normally wake at 5pm/6pm so can spot it. Please note when I did bring this sudden drop up with the consultanct it was dismissed and subject was changed by the consultant.

Before anyone asks I have been told by Abbot the Libre doesn't suit so they don't recomment it for me so that is not an option - testing and various ideas need to be acted on and report produced in the hope either i fine a solution or can present the consultant to look at and not dismiss.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
Woke as normal 6am
Had breakfast
Finished a bit later at the supermarket than normal due to only 1 check out and there seem to be a lot more people shopping - even the self check-out had queues.
Read paper - then decided to do a big thorough tidy & clean of bedroom and office space 10.00.
Felt on the tired side so decided to get in to bed to watch up some catch up TV.
Next thing I know I have someone shouting at me and I seem to be on the floor (according to them this was round 6.30pm) trying to get me to consume sweet things - but my brain was saying your in bed (as my duvet had followed me to the floor and the person had placed the pillows also on the floor) and you are dreaming you are in the floor so don't worry but eat the sweet item as it's a dream so no worries and it will stop them shouting at you!
I reasoned it was a dream as how can I be in the floor and the room looked different to normal (as i don't normally sit on the floor in my bedroom) as things not in their normal place (remember I did a big tidy up so moved things).
After while I thought maybe this isn't a dream and this is real and then certain things in the room started to look a bit familiar.
So yes I came round (no abmbulance needed) but was still very clammy and cold but ate some more food.
Test before bed high (16.3) so took a token injnection 4 units and finall fell a sleep even though feeling cold still and sick due to being high. Woke around 1.30ish did another test and still felt sick 11.3 but decided to leave the level as is

So I think a combination of the extra cleaning and the historic drop off a cliff bloods 5 hours after eating caused the awful Hypo. I must now address this drop of the cliff issue as I have been just dealing with it as i am normally wake at 5pm/6pm so can spot it. Please note when I did bring this sudden drop up with the consultanct it was dismissed and subject was changed by the consultant.

Before anyone asks I have been told by Abbot the Libre doesn't suit so they don't recomment it for me so that is not an option - testing and various ideas need to be acted on and report produced in the hope either i fine a solution or can present the consultant to look at and not dismiss.
Glad to read someone was there to help you with a hypo. Cheers

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Woke as normal 6am
Had breakfast

Woke as normal 6am
Had breakfast

Woke as normal 6am
Had breakfast

What a horrible hypo you had! I've had three like these in 32 years & wouldn't want to ever experience it again, hopefully I won't as being using libre 2 for over a year now.
Would your health board fund a different type of sensor/cgm for you?
Could you eat 10/15g of carbs around 4pm to avoid the drop? I used to experience the same, pre-pump & it was the only thing that worked for me.
Hope you are feeling better now.

StewM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say "Drop Off the Cliff issue" is this something that's happening regularly? If so, what usually happens?

Reactions: EllieM

ROE100

When you say "Drop Off the Cliff issue" is this something that's happening regularly? If so, what usually happens?

Hi Stewm

On a previous thread I did explain the issue which happens most days and I think you mauy have replied to that one but here is an example:

Short - FiAsp
Long - Tresebia

Ate lunch at 12 noon (my normal time)

at lunch - 6.1
at 3pm - 11.5
at 4pm - 8.1
at 5.12pm - 6.9 so 5 hours after lunchtime injection so my short acting should have just about finished
then at
6.01 45mins later down to 4.7 and I know if I don't eat I will continue to go down.

People have suggestion my basal is too high but I have two issues - the reat of the time wake up and bedtime perfect so when I have adjusted a unit down I am then high at wake up and bedtime. Also asked the consultant as I am on such a low dose of basal (12units) can I have a half unit pen - no! so I am left with as someone said having a snack around 5/6 but yesterday I was asleep by 5 so it didn't happen.
The consultant suggestion was to try reduce the spike is inject earlier before your lunchtime meal but if I am in good range then likley to hypo before or during my meal as the carbs I am eating aren't fast acting.

However please note when I have done basal testing I do not get a flat stready read through out the test. Always in the late afternoon get a drop in levels, but the consultant doesn't want to listen - except why don't we try a new insulin - of which they have all done the same - create a drop in the late afternoon.

Don't worry stewm I am not really looking for suggestions just more I wanted to post as note to self I must address this issue as no-one else can do it and I can't let it continue.

Regards and thanks.

ROE100

What a horrible hypo you had! I've had three like these in 32 years & wouldn't want to ever experience it again, hopefully I won't as being using libre 2 for over a year now.
Would your health board fund a different type of sensor/cgm for you?
Could you eat 10/15g of carbs around 4pm to avoid the drop? I used to experience the same, pre-pump & it was the only thing that worked for me.
Hope you are feeling better now.

Hi Soplewis

yes I normally do have a snack when I checkimg my levels are dropping but yesterday I had fallen asleep so wasn't awake.

In regard to another CGM I am hopefully with the new NICE guidance that I may be able to get the dexcom but I will need to prepare lots of results and all the things I have tried before I think they will even consider it as they wouldn't even consider giving me a half unit pen.

but thanks for the thought/suggestion.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi Soplewis

yes I normally do have a snack when I checkimg my levels are dropping but yesterday I had fallen asleep so wasn't awake.

In regard to another CGM I am hopefully with the new NICE guidance that I may be able to get the dexcom but I will need to prepare lots of results and all the things I have tried before I think they will even consider it as they wouldn't even consider giving me a half unit pen.

but thanks for the thought/suggestion.
Hi, I had 1/2 unit pens through my GP, it could be worth a try. I have no experience of fiasp so not sure if they are prefilled pens or not?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @Soplewis12 I've had a few (luckily only a very few) hypos like that, and none since I got my dexcom. Have your team offered you a pump?

And yes, quite a few of my "bad" (help/ambulance needing) hypos have been because I napped during the day. I also find that I get incredibly vivid dreams when hypo....

Good luck. (I hate hypos :)).

Reactions: Hopeful34

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
Hi @Soplewis12 I've had a few (luckily only a very few) hypos like that, and none since I got my dexcom. Have your team offered you a pump?

And yes, quite a few of my "bad" (help/ambulance needing) hypos have been because I napped during the day. I also find that I get incredibly vivid dreams when hypo....

Good luck. (I hate hypos :)).
Hi EllieM
Two of mine were napping during the day and one was a questimate of carbs after dining out. Yep, I am now an omnipod dash user. Struggled quite a bit over the last year since changing to get on an even keel. Now also on HRT and wow what a difference it has made. My BG's are pretty stable, achieving between 85-100% on target the last week or so.
Now I can understand the Joy's of using a pump. Back at the gym & 10km walks, granted I need to reduce basal by 70%, then 20% the next morning after exercise but I'm feeling positive & quite confident for the first time since starting pump 14 months ago. God bless HRT, lol

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Oops, just realised I addressed my last post to the wrong person (though nice to know you are getting on so well @Soplewis12 ).

@ROE100 you have my sympathies, those sorts of hypos are just awful. Any chance your team would consider a pump? I've been offered one for my dawn phenomena but just manage without and my dexcom G6 has kept me out of dangerous hypo regions since I got it. (I developed an allergy to libre so had to stop using it and for that same reason am not desperate to start using a pump, though liberal use of cavilon cream has meant that I can continue using a dexcom). But NICE guidelines have T1s have recently changed so you could also try asking for a dexcom.

Reactions: Soplewis12

ROE100

@EllieM

I will ask again re Dexcom (as yes aware the guidelines have changed or about to change) and pump but everytime in the past when I just ask the reply is often no try this (which often I have already tried) but I only seem to get a yes when I present concrete evidence which is what I need to prepare showing what I have tried and what are the results.

Reactions: EllieM

ROE100

@Soplewis12

It is this basal I need in half units as sure this is my issue but the consultant has said no. Fi-Asp I get in vials so have a half unit syringe so no issues there.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
@Soplewis12

It is this basal I need in half units as sure this is my issue but the consultant has said no. Fi-Asp I get in vials so have a half unit syringe so no issues there.
My basal b4 pump was lantus prefilled pens & was in 0.5 measures, such a shame you don't have a more empathetic consultant.