Type 1 Conflicting Diagnosis, New Possible Diabetic?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They just put the results down to my size
Size has nothing to do with diabetes diagnosis etc. Sounds like the Dr isn't too clued-up about diabetes. Also ketones are not in themselves a valid way of detecting T1. I have very high BS yet my ketones are always near zero. They are just part of the diagnosis toolset. You GP sounds good so I would work with the GP to have bloods done in 3 to 6 months assuming you are diabetic. Get a glucose meter and monitor your blood sugar. Keep the carbs down in your diet and have proteins and fats to keep you feeling full.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You GP sounds good so I would work with the GP to have bloods done in 3 to 6 months
My first HbA1C came back at 55 and then my second a few weeks later at 72.
@LondonC24 , seeing as your hba1c has risen from 55 to 72 in only a few weeks, I wouldn't agree with waiting 3 to 6 months for your next blood draw, if that's what the GP will suggest.
Something is going on and you need to find out what it is.

Reactions: LondonC24

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am confused here.

Normally, given your age and rapidly increasing hba1c, I would expect them to do GAD and cpeptide tests to determine whether you are LADA or T2 (and yes there are other rarer types but they usually rule out these first).

Do you know what tests they have done @LondonC24 ?

Though 3.8 is technically hypo (low blood sugar) it's not unusual for non-diabetics to wake at this level, though they may feel a bit weak and hungry? (And glucose meters have to be accurate to a +- 15% accuracy, so you could have been possibly anywhere between 3.2 and 4.4).

Hopefully your GP will get you sorted, or referred to an endocrinologist who can look at your full results. Good luck.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While you are waiting for consistent, definite conclusions from the medical people, if I were you, I would take my blood sugar readings with the finger-prink meter at regular times during the day: on waking, before each feed and 2 hours after each feed, as well as before the nighttime sleep. If the reading is below 4, eat something that will give you 10 to 20 carbs ; if the reading is over 10, don't eat carbs until your reading is in the normal range again (4 to 10). You can learn to carb count and about how many carbs are in the different foods from Google. Record what you eat so you can learn how foods affect your blood sugar. No matter what the doctors eventually decide (and this website is full of stories of bad medical advice and misdiagnosis) this is good practice to follow: when followed with patience and determination, it gives results.