Is it safe to take metformin without a doctor's appointment

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
I made a bad joke when I refused to go to the fitness center with a friend. I told her, "Why do I need fitness if I don't have endogenous insulin?". She heard enough of me saying that insulin is the cause of fullness and bought herself metformin. I don't know how she did it without a doctor's prescription, but she doesn't have diabetes, and her weight is only 65 kilograms.I tried to tell her that no medicine can be used without a doctor's appointment, but she is so delighted that she dropped 4 kilograms without doing anything! I know that metformin, unlike insulin, cannot lead to hypoglycemic coma, but is this drug safe?What can an overdose lead to?

Reactions: Mike d

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do she lose 4 kg by being tied to the toilet?
Like norovirus, for me ,metformin was great for weight loss in the short term. however the downside was I couldn't leave the house....

UsmanMo96

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made a bad joke when I refused to go to the fitness center with a friend. I told her, "Why do I need fitness if I don't have endogenous insulin?". She heard enough of me saying that insulin is the cause of fullness and bought herself metformin. I don't know how she did it without a doctor's prescription, but she doesn't have diabetes, and her weight is only 65 kilograms.I tried to tell her that no medicine can be used without a doctor's appointment, but she is so delighted that she dropped 4 kilograms without doing anything! I know that metformin, unlike insulin, cannot lead to hypoglycemic coma, but is this drug safe?What can an overdose lead to?

Taking any drug without a prescription is bad. A doctor would only write up a prescription if the patient would benefit from it.
On a side note. I been on metformin SR for 8 years and never lost any weight from the medication.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She should not have been sold Metformin without a prescription so it could be a dodgy company that sold it to her so I would be worried that it wasn't even Metformin at all
Carol

Reactions: Lobsang Tsultim

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
but is this drug safe?
Assuming the drug your friend acquired is metformin rather than a fake (always a risk depending on where it is sourced if not on prescription), then it is generally considered to be a very safe drug. There are well documented side effects involving gastric issues, but many here take it long-term without issue.
What can an overdose lead to?

I have no idea what constitutes an overdose of metformin, but it does have some potentially serious effects.

From this link: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/metformin-oral-route/precautions/drg-20067074

‘Under certain conditions, too much metformin can cause lactic acidosis. The symptoms of lactic acidosis are severe and quick to appear, and usually occur when other health problems not related to the medicine are present and are very severe, such as a heart attack or kidney failure. Symptoms of lactic acidosis include abdominal or stomach discomfort, decreased appetite, diarrhea, fast or shallow breathing, a general feeling of discomfort, severe muscle pain or cramping, and unusual sleepiness, tiredness, or weakness.’

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Like norovirus, for me ,metformin was great for weight loss in the short term. however the downside was I couldn't leave the house....
the strangest thing is that no. Metformin seems to have a bad effect on the stomach, but she's fine. I'm a little scared of such a rapid weight loss, and such a strong delight from it. This is not a toy, but a serious medicine, and she treats it so negligently. And I feel guilty for that and for praising insulin so much that you'd think it couldn't kill

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
She should not have been sold Metformin without a prescription so it could be a dodgy company that sold it to her so I would be worried that it wasn't even Metformin at all
Carol
I was once sold insulin without a prescription. I was in another city and I was running out of insulin, I thought I would have to go to a local endocrinologist and ask for a prescription, but before that I decided to go to the pharmacy and ask if they would sell me insulin for money.The only thing I was asked about was "Do you know what kind of drug it is?", I replied that of course I know, I have diabetes and insulin was sold to me without any documents :facepalm:

D

Deleted member 556127

Hi, I was curious about this post as I'm on Metformin and if I take too much I get really bad stomach upsets. I might time how long the next one lasts. It's def not something to be taken lightly.

I had a scare last week where my nurse wanted to put me on insulin and I'm determined not to go on it so I'm using a mixture of healthy eating, metformin and working out.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like it could be fake Metformin? Metformin has only a slight effect on weight. The real drug is very safe but should only be prescribed.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Metformin can cause rapid depletion of vitamin B12 which could be very dangerous in the long term.

Reactions: Diggler

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, I was curious about this post as I'm on Metformin and if I take too much I get really bad stomach upsets. I might time how long the next one lasts. It's def not something to be taken lightly.

I had a scare last week where my nurse wanted to put me on insulin and I'm determined not to go on it so I'm using a mixture of healthy eating, metformin and working out.
As a person who was injected with insulin from a very young age, it's hard for me to understand why people are afraid of it, I'm so used to injections that it's already something like mandatory hand washing before eating, which you don't pay attention to at all, somewhere on a subconscious level I remember that an overdose of insulin is fatal, but I don't feel it at all. You're absolutely right to try to avoid insulin if metformin and physical activity allow you to do it, but if you do have to inject it, know that insulin is amazing and it has no effect on the stomach

D

Deleted member 556127

Thanks Zhnyaka. I guess my fears as someone with T2 Diabetes is that I think of it as a last resort and I saw a Doctor for a second opinion. I know that for me I can do much better with my diet and metformin before using insulin and risking a hypo.

My understanding with T1 is that is very different. I'm not sure if T1 can be controlled by diet alone if that makes sense. The equivalent for me is my Hashimotos where i have to take tablets for that otherwise the side effects are horrible.

My thinking also was that my Mum and Dad never had to go down the Insulin path.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My understanding with T1 is that is very different. I'm not sure if T1 can be controlled by diet alone if that makes sense.
It cannot, Type 1's cannot produce insulin at all and will die if we don't take it. Some find specific diets can help, but we cannot survive without insulin no matter what (those with LADA may still produce insulin for a while but the production of it will die off)

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The sukkarto sr tablets are slow release metformin.....much better on your innards

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin is prescribed for other ailments too .....polycystic ovary syndrome for instance

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Metformin is prescribed for other ailments too .....polycystic ovary syndrome for instance
isn't it because polycystic ovary syndrome disrupts carbohydrate metabolism?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the strangest thing is that no. Metformin seems to have a bad effect on the stomach, but she's fine. I'm a little scared of such a rapid weight loss, and such a strong delight from it. This is not a toy, but a serious medicine, and she treats it so negligently. And I feel guilty for that and for praising insulin so much that you'd think it couldn't kill
Metformin can have that side effect but not for everyone. Many take it with no issue, others need slow release, others can’t tolerate at all

most (all?) drugs which have side effects don’t exhibit in everyone. Often if you read the literature it mentions how common the side effects are and percentages who had them from the clinical trials

I had no side effects on metformin slow release, or bydureon. But daplaflaglozin I did, we are all different

[Edit: actually, I’m wrong. On max Met I did have folic acid deficiencies (b12?) so needed to supplement. But that did take a very long time (over a decade) but prefer to be honest. No gastric upsets]

but prescribed drugs (and to be fair even non prescribed) can be dangerous. Metformin in the UK is not available without prescription and can have greater side effects than toilet issues. If it is met, then that’s bad but unscrupulous could be selling her anything

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Metformin is no different to any other modern drug. No one can either prove or otherwise the long term efficacy; we only know what we know.

It has an effect on diabetes numbers and weight. It is dangerous for those with liver or kidney issues - It should not have a free pass, certainly not as safe or effective as a 10 minute walk.

cazzz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Assuming the drug your friend acquired is metformin rather than a fake (always a risk depending on where it is sourced if not on prescription), then it is generally considered to be a very safe drug. There are well documented side effects involving gastric issues, but many here take it long-term without issue.

I have no idea what constitutes an overdose of metformin, but it does have some potentially serious effects.

From this link: https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/metformin-oral-route/precautions/drg-20067074

‘Under certain conditions, too much metformin can cause lactic acidosis. The symptoms of lactic acidosis are severe and quick to appear, and usually occur when other health problems not related to the medicine are present and are very severe, such as a heart attack or kidney failure. Symptoms of lactic acidosis include abdominal or stomach discomfort, decreased appetite, diarrhea, fast or shallow breathing, a general feeling of discomfort, severe muscle pain or cramping, and unusual sleepiness, tiredness, or weakness.’

cazzz

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)