starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

autumn6464

Hi again, autumn here. My ASDA shakes have been reboxed and gone up to £4.50 per round container, you now have to mix with milk rather than water, it it is sweeter. The strawberry one is in a purple container with pink slashes across, "ASDA meal replacement strawberry flavour milk shake 200 calories per serving. Add 2 level scoops (29g) per portion" The scoops are fairly small , I either mix with skimmed milk or with water, and microwave for a minute. I had one this morning about 8.30, 10 to 10 now and not hungry. Weight going slowly up 12 stone today. but if I hit the 12 stone I go back on the ASDA shakes until I get to at least 11 12ish. Veg soup for dinner today, the last batch I made are very tasty and filling. I wish I had the will power to go onto the newcastle diet for real, because it worked when I did. On an up note, I have an exercise bike and go on it more often, 100 cycles per day as a minimum. On the newcastle diet proper I was very tired and didn't exercise. Good luck to all.

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
Is anyone still doing the newcastle diet and how's all the ones who completed it is the weight still off and normal bg readings

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

nigel22

I find the 600 - 800 calorie a day works for me. 2 years ago I did it to restart my blood sugar control mechanism and lost about 1.5 stones (16 down to 14.5) and got bloods down and under control. Since then put about half a stone back on and sugar levels have risen a little so have decided it is time to loose more weight (15 stone now) probably down to 14 and re-assert control of blood sugars - let's see.
I have a gin and long diet tonic most nights and 2 at week-ends - that's a must!
In the evening I usually have about 200g of skinless chicken breast marinated in garlic, chilli and ginger pastes with some onions and peppers - about 400 calories. Sometimes a salmon steak, fennel sauce, peas and even a few ( 150g) boiled new potatoes - probably about 400 calories also. Prawn (125g) cocktails with the light ( not lighter than light - yuk!) Helmans mayo.
I did try those shakes and very quickly gave up - I thought I would loose the will to live! You can at least look forward to the food. It must be soul destroying only having a glass of 'yuk' to look forward to.
Little cherry tomatoes, fresh strawberries are an excellent snack! Slices of 'plastic' ham also do the trick for me. Protein is a good filler - and helps you stay feeling full( relatively speaking)! Occasional small chappatti as wrap, though as it is 140Kcal I would rather have a beer or 2 gins!
I do drink more water and have largely dropped coffee. I also tend to just eat in the evening so I don't go to bed thinking of food!

Shzz46

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who try to tell me what to do
I started the newcastle diet last week I have been fine apart from today feel total **** just tested ketones and its showing 16 could that be why I'm feeling like this and is that ok

murph524

Hi all, I will be starting the Newcastle diet on sat 17th Aug, I have a GP appointment on the 14th Aug to advise the doctor that i will be coming off my meds and to see if i can get prescription for optifast,I have an appointment with the nurse on the 21st Aug to have my bloods done,
A few questions i have are, i will be stopping the metformin, but i am also on ramipril,glimepiride,simvastatin and dispersible asprin
do i also stop these ?
If i can't get optifast ,any suggestions on which shakes i should get ?
How much exercise should i try and get ?
What is the ideal weight for me ?

My profile is i am 46, had type 2 for 6 1/2 years,I am 5ft 6 1/2 and weight 13.7, i was 15 stone when first diagnosed, I don't exercise much, my job as a taxi driver doesn't give me a lot of exercise either, i do have a multi gym in the house and i golf once or twice a week.plus the occasional dog walk.
Also any good recipe ideas would be gratefully accepted for my 250 grams of veg
I would just like to say thank you in advance for the great advise i will get from the forum, and if any one has any other things that i should know it will be gratefully accepted.
I will keep the forum updated when i start.

Cricket Lover

Hi Murph,

I have 8 days left on the Newcastle diet & counting down, like you I am type 2, 5ft 6 1/2 but slightly older 49 & diagnosed in January this year, although probably type 2 for at least 18 months before that.

When diagnosed I was 12st 10 but was 13st 9 last summer,I struggled to take weight off when first diagtnosed due to hectic work schedule & finding time to exercise & eat properly, hence one of the reasons I went for this diet. I have been using optifast but not on prescription I have been purchasing directly from my local chemist. So far my weight has dropped to 10st 11, but has slowed in the last week, I was on 3 metformin before the diet started but down to 1 500mg tablet per day now. Prior to starting the diet my bg ranged between 6.2 & 9 with occasional highes of 11 to 13, within 2 week my bg had fallen under 6 & now ranges between 4 & 5.2 first thing in the morning & 2 hours after a meal.

Food wise I try to mix it up with vegetables as much as possible, I cook chinese stir fries plenty of bean sprouts, peppers, courgette, mushroom, onions, pachoi, chilli & ginger, curry using home made sri lankan curry mix(but plenty of options),ginger & chilli, cauliflower, onion, tomato, okra, fine beans, carrot, courgette etc or salad often with some griddled vegetable & balsamic vinegar dressing.

Exercise wise I have felt fine on the diet it was only the first few days I felt a bit run down & achy, I try to exercise most days with a mile swim or an hour in the gym, doing a mixture of cardio & weights, the exercise certainly helps.

My consultant wanted me to stay on one metformin as he believed it would help with weight loss, but but hope to come off that & my finofibrate for cholestral when I go back to see him at the end of October, I will try to get a glucose tolerence test done in September to confirm all is back to normal but at present it seems very promoising.

The first 3 or 4 days are the worst, but barbecues & meals out can be hard work & really test your resolve, but so far I have stuck to the diet rigidly.

Good luck

Mark

murph524

Thanks for your reply cricket lover
I will defo try and mix up the 250 grams of veg i'm allowed,
Did you eat all your allowance as 1 meal ? or did you split it up through the day ?
I'm off to see doctor tomorrow to see what she has to say about it, i'm hoping she has at least heard about the diet,
Keep up the will power for the last 8 days
I will update after i have seen the doctor.

If any one has any info for me, it will be gratefully accepted.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

You can print out from the Newcastle Uni site and give it to your doctor

murph524

Thanks carraway for the reply
I have printed it off
But it will be helpful if the doctor has at least heard of it.
Has any one had any good responces from their GP ? or bad ones ?

Cricket Lover

Hi Murph,

I tend to eat all the veg as an evening neal, 250gm is not a lot to spread through the day!! It is possible to print out te diet & results of the research from http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/di ... versal.htm

My GP had not heard of the diet when I first saw him, but I provided him with details off the ncl web site, but once he had read it he was supportive of it, even if he did not see any need for the diet to be supervised. He felt that in years to come this will be prescribed to diabetics rather than medication!

Good luck

Cricket Lover

Hi Janeece,

Plan to go back to eating a normal diet, will probably use the 5 2 diet to help ensure I don't put weight back on, but am looking foward to eating normal food most of the time.

Best
Mark

janeecee

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Sensible approach. It's a shame that there isn't a follow up plan because that's probably harder to do than the diet itself, with all these folk getting on and off wagons, or whatever they do. I'm sure you'll do OK because you're planning ahead and thinking long term. And you've got the meter to let you know where you're going right or wrong.

murph524

Just back from GPs appointment, She had not heard of the diet and was not impressed by what i had to say, I was told that she would not be prescribing optifast for me,So off to asda to stoke up on shakes and veg.
But the main reason for the visit was to tell her i was coming off the tablets,She was quite happy for me to come off them.but told me to continue with the ramipril and simvastatin,But hey ho,
What brand of shakes does everyone use ? and why ?
So just got to look forward to saturday to give it a go

autumn6464

What brand of shakes does everyone use ? and why ?

ASDA strawberry with either water or milk. made half strength so that I can have twice as many, and HOT, makes it seem more filling for me... Lots of water, lots of home made soup and raw veg and cooked veg. Had the above today plus some chocolate, (2 'penny' teacakes can't resist chocs). Just been on holiday and came back at 12st 3,on Saturday, down to 12st 1 this am.(Tuesday) It helps that my husband is doing the 5:2 diet (eat normal 5 days and restricted the other two days. It makes you more aware of food and on the normal days you eat less anyhow. PLEASE keep posting, I found this site got me motivated, my 100 cycles seems very silly alongside the person doing a lot of exercise. That's motivated me to do more. Nice to hear what is happening to you all.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Murph524

Why don't you start a new thread so we can watch your progress and you can keep a track of your results?

Good Luck!

murph524

Thanks Autumn 6464. I will give the hot shakes a try, as i'm told you can get a bit chilly on this diet.

Carraway, Good idea, I think i will start a thread, as i think it might keep me motivated to keep the diet up also to keep the forum updated on my progress.
I will post the thread on saturday under the name MURPH524 Newcastle diet update.

Just a few more questions
When they say calorie free drinks,do they mean like diet pepsi that have 6 cals per 500ml and if so do i just take the extra calories from the veg allowance,or does 10 or 20 calories extra don't really make a difference.

When i make soup from the veg allowance, i bought a pack of broccoli and couliflower 240 grams, the calorie content is just 94 calories for the whole pack, What is it i have do do, is it no more than 250 grams of veg or is it 200 calories ?

Do people make their shakes with milk or water? also do you make your tea with a little milk or does it have to be 100% dairy free?
but i have bought 3 types of green tea.

What do people do about stopping their metformin ? do you stop all at once or gradually ? I'm currently on 4 x sr metformin daily

Do people weigh themselves daily or once a week?
And finally positive or negative, i would like to hear peoples view on the subject

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

I'm going to try it myself in September, I'm waiting for the children to go back to school so I am in a routine.
Which is why I'm keen to see how you get on :D

I would make your shake up with whatever it suggest on the packaging as then the nutritional content will be accurate.
Have a look at Slim and Save shakes, they look quite good, low carb etc.

The diet states 800 calories per day, so add up the calories of the shakes and see what you have left; it suggests 250g of veg, so stick with non-starchy ones and go from there. I wouldn't let a few calories from diet drinks worry you too much. The diet states no milk, not even skimmed. So black tea for you!
I would try to resist the temptation to weigh more than once a week, but it might be hard. If you see a weight loss it can be encouraging, but if you sty the same it would be easy to be disheartened.

Other than the above, my plan is to make sure I take a good multivitamin every day too.

Stay in touch

Cara