starting newcastle diet on 2nd jan

Defren

Ivenoidea said:
OH NO Geordie!!! So sorry to hear about that, How do you keep sounding so positive even in the face of tragedy?!!!!

Well I hope this news cheers you up slightly, seeing as your posts were the inspiration for me doing the Newcastle diet, bit of information to those who haven't read any of my posts and hopefully a bit of inspiration to those that have as well.

I was Diagnosed late last year, 15st and 9.8 and blood pressure 124/83 ,then 3months after 5.8 and three months after that 6.0,

I finished the diet 4 weeks ago at 12st, blood pressure 116/60ish, took my Glucose tolerance test 4 days after diet ended, fasting was 5.0 and two hours later 4.2!!!!

This Monday went for my blood test and got the results back today........at first the Receptionist told me there was a message on my file asking me to make an appointment with my GP as there was a question mark from the hospital regarding my results...... I was thinking oh no what have they found?..... then the nurse I have been seeing was there and noticed it was me and new already what was on my file as there appears to be a lot of interest with my "case"..... She said because no one had ever done this before the doctor wanted to see me to discuss how we went on from here.......... I just wanted to know "WHAT ARE MY RESULTS"...... The answer is (Tune in next week for.....) 5.0.

Yep that's right 5.0, I am absolutely over the moon, I am now no longer classed as being diabetic.

Come on everybody keep going, it really can work for a lot of people I know it won't for everybody but it can really help with slowing it right down, I'm living proof!

F-A-N-T-A-S-T-I-C!!!! Absolutely brilliant, really thrilled for you, what a turn-a-round.

I finish the diet Sunday evening, and have my HbA1c June 27, I am itching to know what mine will be. I am expecting/hoping for around 5.5 anything less and I will be over the moon, higher I will sulk :lol:

Geordie, my thoughts are with you. Stay strong and keep that indomitable spirit, that has inspired me, and I suspect others too. Please let us know what happens, and how you are.

Joanna.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
ivenoidea those are tremendous result, well done it makes you feel tremendous doesnt it

Defren i have no doubt yours will be equally as good too.

Im going to have to start it again, not cos my sugars are high purely due to fact I will not be able to do as much exercise in next few weeks, went to see doctor today and he has said its a rupture, gotto go and get ultrasound on wed then see where we go from there but more than likely an op which will mean arm in a cast for 4 - 6 weeks!! then physio for a few months!!

Still do cardio tho but not be able to cycle to work ;-(

Ill keep you all posted but to those people who are in two minds whether to try diet, give it a go what harm can it do

Ivenoidea

Just a quick update, I went to see my GP this morning and he has said I am the first person he has known to reverse their diabetes and the good news is he doesn't want to see me about it for another year!!

I still want to lose weight and more importantly see if I can maintain it with sensible food choices and increased exercise, I had got a little bit carried away with myself when I finished the diet and although I expected to put on 2-3 pounds I actually put on 3kg over the past month.

I have been really disappointed with my self after all the hard work I put in, there are no excuses and I feel I have let myself down but have started back on the diet today as I have about 3 weeks of shakes left, I am going to really really think about my eating habits and make an enormous effort to alter them as I dont want to start yo yo dieting.

Good luck and keep going but remember that the diet alone is not just the answer.

Defren

Ivenoidea said:
Just a quick update, I went to see my GP this morning and he has said I am the first person he has known to reverse their diabetes and the good news is he doesn't want to see me about it for another year!!

I still want to lose weight and more importantly see if I can maintain it with sensible food choices and increased exercise, I had got a little bit carried away with myself when I finished the diet and although I expected to put on 2-3 pounds I actually put on 3kg over the past month.

I have been really disappointed with my self after all the hard work I put in, there are no excuses and I feel I have let myself down but have started back on the diet today as I have about 3 weeks of shakes left, I am going to really really think about my eating habits and make an enormous effort to alter them as I dont want to start yo yo dieting.

Good luck and keep going but remember that the diet alone is not just the answer.

Today is my first day post diet and I have kept very much low carb medium protein and high fat. My figures are good, calories obviously quite a bit higher, so I will be interested to see how my weigh changes over the next few weeks.

Good luck!

autumn6464

I had my 2 hour test on Monday 18th. Before I went I did FBG and it was 5.6mm, I then went to the doctors and had a blood test and took the polycal, waited two hours in the surgery and had another blood test. I have to ring up on Monday for the result. But, I did a finger prick as soon as I got home, it was 10.4mm, so it looks like it hasn't worked for me.
I did cheat now and then, and my husband was in hospital, he had a knee replacement, came out saturday at 2.30pm and I rang 999 at 9.00pm. he was hallucinating, turns out he had a chest infection. (He is out of hospital now and progressing slowly, but on 18th he was in hospital, and I was stressing out and visiting twice a day.) I can only hope that because I was upset it affected the blood glucose reading. She did a HBAC? test also so that should show how I've been over the last 3 months.
Well fingers crossed. I've still lost 4 stone, and learned a lot about my diabetes. I'm not sure how to progress now, I need a follow-on diet but I don't think there is one, keep on with the veg and salads, no potatoes, and EXERCISE. I love the strawberry ASDA shakes, so will keep on taking them. The above sounds negative, it shouldn't really. When my husband recovers the use of his knee we will be able to go walking, swimming, etc, as I am so much slimmer I'll be able to do these things better, gaining weight is a vicious circle, I'm not going there again, as soon as I reach 11 stone I'm back on the strict diet, and I will do the diet one week in four anyway.
I've no idea, well done, and I know you've made good progress Geordie and Defren.

autumn6464

No-one posting but me on here now, sorry for my bad news last post, I rang the nurse as requested and as I thought I am still diabetic, but my 3 month (Bac?) test was very positive and I am controlling it with my diet. The nurse said me being upset wouldn't have had any effect on the test.
My husband is out of hospital and on crutches and getting better every day. He has gradually stopped taking most of his tablets and is now only on painkillers, which he is needing to use less and less. I am keeping my weight fairly constant (10.8 not the 10.4 I was) and my FBG is between 5.2 and 6.00mm. I am away soon with some friends and I will eat and drink more normally. I had stopped doing any exercise, I was so tired and then my husband needed looking after, but now, because I am eating meat and have already lost the weight I feel full of energy and am exercising again. When I am tired I crave chocolate. When I get back from holiday I am going to try the diet again, not cheat and exercise. If it can work for some (who don't cheat) it might work for me. I started the newcastle diet with a freezer full of goodies, now it is full of fish and veg soup and indian meals (for my husband when I am dieting).
I hope other people are doing well, good luck to all.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi all one finger typing here
had my op a week gone monday, arm in a full 90 degree cast and can do nothing, off work till next week i think when cast comes off then hopefully a lot of physio.
back to gym too with a bit of luck, lots of cardio
weight is staying stable
sugars good
hope all are well
gonna start reposting soon might do another spell on diet still not where i want to be , want another stone off

autumn6464

geordie90 said:
hi all one finger typing here
had my op a week gone monday, arm in a full 90 degree cast and can do nothing, off work till next week i think when cast comes off then hopefully a lot of physio.
back to gym too with a bit of luck, lots of cardio
weight is staying stable
sugars good
hope all are well
gonna start reposting soon might do another spell on diet still not where i want to be , want another stone off

Well the op is behind you, so - onwards and upwards. Is there any exercise you can do that will be OK, using your legs perhaps? Good to hear you are to post again, its been lonely on here.
I've just hit the 11 stone, so gone back on the diet today until I can fit into my new trousers again. My stepson came today and said diabetes was caused by being overweight. (no **** Sherlock) I told him that a lot of thin people have type 2 and it's not just weight or every overweight person would have diabetes. What keeps me positive is "I've no idea" who HAS reversed it, or put it off for a while. I'm going away soon so need to lose a bit so I can pig out. But after my holidays I'm going Zumba dancing, so that should help (I can lose the weight easily but I can't exercise easily, that's why I think it didnt work the first time for me). When I'm tired I try and sometimes fail to not eat chocolate, you seemed to go to the gym. If I go to meet people or with people I'm ok, on my own I can't seem to exercise, so a friend is picking me up to go to Zumba. My husband is getting better, the dressing is now off (knee replacement) but he is bored and wants to go for meals (hence I am 11 stone again). As soon as he can get back into his woodwork shed (making doors, stairs, etc) I should lose weight again. My FBG was 5.3 this am, which is normal for me.
I've just found some threads (defatizing info and links 800 cals), if you are bored have a read.
Myself I'd like to know more about this disease, but this is such a big site and the info is so conflicting, can anyone point me to a list of terms used in diabetes, I think people use initials and I dont know what they stand for. Thanks if anyone can Autumn

autumn6464

Saw the doctor (not the nurse who said I was still diabetic), HE is very pleased with my Polycal test results, I am in a grey area, not diabetic but now pre-diabetic. I told him I was on the diet again to get below 11 stone and he thought that was good.
This morning I had veg soup for my breakfast (sounds awful but it fills me up and I don't cheat) and tested just after and I was 5.1 so that's not bad after eating. My weight going down more slowly this time (10st 8lb) :D . So, all in all, very positive. I must confess no exercise yet today, but I am doing more exercise overall. Need to go, IT'S NOT RAINING so I'll go into the garden. At the Grand Prix its raining like mad, and wimbledon about to start (my husband recovering from op so has to watch a lot ofTV but he's getting better very fast). Can't find my calenetics video, but got about another 4 to go at.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
hi autumn,
aye its gone quiet on here lol
i tried gym but with having a full cast on the sweating became an issue and made it itch so much it drove me mad,
Ive decided that when cast comes off im back on diet and hitting gym hard, till then im having a bit of a break and eating pretty much what i want, havent put weight on but i know that wont last so, its a bit like a diet holiday then on it again strict and hard.
Its easy to get disheartened but harder to stick at it, but we all know we need to stick at it

I'll post again soon, head up, hope ur hubby gets better soon and keep posting

Weso22

Day one

Please help!!! I have started today and have so far had 2 shakes. I am using Asda Messure up shakes. I am type 2.

I have had diarrhoea today and wondered if anyone else had this side effect in the first few days??

Thanks for your help! x

Defren

Weso22 said:
Day one

Please help!!! I have started today and have so far had 2 shakes. I am using Asda Messure up shakes. I am type 2.

I have had diarrhoea today and wondered if anyone else had this side effect in the first few days??

Thanks for your help! x

Nope, I was fine. I used Atkins shakes, as they are less carbs, but I can't see that making any difference. I hope you are over them now, as I see you posted this a few days ago. It might be an idea to start a diary like the one I did?

autumn6464

Weso 22 said:
Day one

Thanks for your help! x

As Defren says, keep updating us, we learn from you and you learn from us. I was/am using the ASDA shakes. I came off the diet 22nd June ish. I am half on it to keep my weight down (and my blood sugars). I am now pre diabetic (says the doctor) and I am controlling it with diet. I have never been very successful with dieting (except years ago when my daughter got married and i got down to 9st 7lb) Losing 4 stone in all has given me a big confidence boost, I CAN DO IT and if I can you can.

Back to your questions I went ON the diet because I had the runs about 1.5 hours after I ate a meal, I was on Metformin and it got so bad I started not to go anywhere, I didn't realise at first what was causing it. The doctor took me off Metformin, asked me to wait a week and prescribed a slow release metformin, in that week I thought about the newcastle diet as an alternative, the doctor approved and I went on it and FELT WELL for the first time in years. If you have jut come off metformin it could be the runs are a side effect of that.
I bought the slimfast banana shakes, they are too sweet for me. I bought the ASDA shakes, strawberry, chocolate and cafe latte. The caffe latte I find too sweet and can't even use it up. The chocolate is OK but I only bought the one. The strawberry, at half strength (found out about that on this thread-I know there are 45 pages, but plough through them) is good and it helps you with drinking more fluids. I drink it hot, I put a little cold water I mix well and top up with hot water. I use the scoop from the slimfast, it is half the size of the ASDA one. I have a cup of black tea or coffee (that's how I've always had it) at the same time to increase fluid intake. I don't do the exercise I should, that's why I think I didn't get rid of the diabetes altogether (I've no idea - who has posted on this thread - has). I still have surplus fat which is not going, but my weight is consistent ( 10st 8lb) and so are my blood sugars (except for something I will post about soon).When I was on the diet I felt tired, I had an ASDA shake and could then carry on. The beauty of having half shakes is you can have twice as many. I am in control of my life, diabetes and weight for the first time in years. I went on the Atkins diet before I started the Newcastle diet to shrink my stomach, but frankly I don't think I needed to because the amount of veg you can eat can fill you up anyway. Hope you keep at it, I didn't realise what a life changing thing it can be, even bending down to pick up things is easier and I am not so much out of breath and don't let me get started on the clothes I have had to recycle, it is so worthwhile, keep at it.

autumn6464

Hi all confession time
I had to shorten my holiday with my girlfriends to just one night, I went Thursday and came back Friday. Our son stayed with his dad Thurs night, husband not getting better very quickly at all, and I was the only one who had a car available and who could drive. So, Thursday night, feeling very sorry for myself and determined to make the most of it, I had 3 whiskys and 3 martini and lemonade. Two of the whiskys were in the pub, the rest in the caravan so good measures. At about 12 midnight I did a finger prick and it was 5.9mm. I went to bed very happy and thinking I had found something i could drink without affecting my BG (I've been drinking water for the last 4 months in the pub). I woke up about 7.30 and thought I might go for a walk to lower my BG, but couldn't be bothered, but I felt OK. I got up at 8.00 and did a finger prick and it was 1.8mm. I have never had a finger prick below the high 4.mm before, my friend made bacon and eggs quickly and said eat. After the meal my BG was 6.7. What happened, was it dangerous, and can I drink whisky in moderation?

Ivenoidea

Did you wash your hands just before you took the test ? I've done that a few times and it has come back really low, it turned out I hadn't dried my hands properly and it had diluted my blood.

autumn6464

Do you know I probably didn't. My friend found out a member of her family was ill (mobile phones can be a curse) and when I got up she was quite upset, so out of usual routine. I never thought of that. I might have, I don't know. I did see a post (on this thread?) someone had a drink and it lowered bg so thought I'd try it, but overdid it.

geordie90

Dislikes
serious people
dont forget alcohol can artificially lower your BG's so thats prob what happened i know when i had a heavy night on the vodka my bg's where lower than normal tbh.

Blast from the past here lol , put a bit of weight on due to not being able to exercise with my arm in a cast but its off now and going to be back at gym big style, only put on 7lbs in a month so not too bad.

I'll keep posting

autumn6464

geordie90 said:
Post by geordie90 » July 23rd, 2012, 10:13 am
dont forget alcohol can artificially lower your BG's so thats prob what happened i know when i had a heavy night on the vodka my bg's where lower than normal tbh.

Blast from the past here lol , put a bit of weight on due to not being able to exercise with my arm in a cast but its off now and going to be back at gym big style, only put on 7lbs in a month so not too bad.

I'll keep posting

I dont like the sound of only artificially lowering BG, I thought I had stumbled on something I could drink. Today I had fish, fried but in flour not batter, chips and mushy peas. I also had cointreau and black coffee (which tasted awful - too sweet - I'll not have again and I'd been so looking forward to it) and two hours later my BG was 5.9mm. I had a drink because I thought my husband would be driving home (got rid of crutches yesterday, physiotherapist pleased with him) but he suddenly didnt feel very well. At the hospital we met a man who was in hospital with him, and he wasn't as well recovered as my husband, when we left he was waiting to see the doctor (they'd also lost his paperwork). So it's one step forward and two steps back with him. And me, I'm not sure whether to start taking the slow release metformin because the other day I had a cheese sandwich and straight away my BG was 12.9mm. My weight is constant but I am finding it hard to know what to eat. Obviously not white bead and cheese. Being on the diet is easier than being off it. What's everyone else eating after the diet? After tea is my worst time, I had about 5 crispbreads last night, no butter. I still felt too full this morning and only had half an asda milk shake.

autumn6464

Just seen one of my old posts, during my holiday fish and chips made my bg rise to 7.9, this last time, albeit with flour instead of batter, but plus a cointreau, it was 5.9mm. What cant' speak can't lie, I think the Newcastle diet has worked for me to a certain extent.