Fantastic PASTA substitute

WhitbyJet

If you are low carb and missing pasta, try this, I think you will be impressed:

LOW CARB PASTA OR LASAGNA SHEETS

4 eggs

125 g cream cheese - could use garlic/herb cheese

50ml or 15g psyllium husks, ground

Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.

Whisk together eggs, cream cheese and psyllium husks and set aside for 10 – 15 minutes, the mixture will thicken to a consistency similar to custard.

Line and grease a baking sheet, spread the mixture on to that, then take another sheet of baking paper, grease it with some oil or butter, place it greased side down on top of the dough mixture, now press down with your hands/fingers to spread the mixture thinly and evenly between the two sheets.
Bake in the oven for approx. 15 minutes.
Once its cooked, carefully remove the top layer of the paper and let the sheets cool completely before turning out the pasta sheet and removing the bottom layer of the paper, cut pasta to size. Or use a sharp knife and cut into thin tagliatelle strips.

I serve this with a carbonara, bolognaise or gorgonzola sauce and a huge salad on the side.

Photo: http://lchf-bloggen.blogspot.com/2012/0 ... later.html

Reactions: 6 people

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds great. Now searching for psyllium husks. "Local" Bio shop is over at St Malo (30kms) and has a strange range of expensive stuff, so I'm afraid it'll have to be Amazon.
There seems to be a variety of powders - are they all much the same? A French site says it's "blond" rather than "noir" that's needed. I've never used it before.

While I'm posting here I wondered if there's any alternative to almond flour or anything I could mix it with? Recent cake attempts using it have had a strange taste and are a bit claggy!

Thanks for all you recipes!

Best wishes,

Jane.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks whitbyjet, that sounds great. are psyllium husks the same as flax seed or could flax be used instead?

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use thin slices of aubergine instead of pasta, and egg and cottage cheese instead of the white sauce. Lovely with some telagio cheese slices on top!

Reactions: 4 people

WhitbyJet

Jane, in French they are 'La balle de graines de psyllium (Plantago ovata)'.

Which cake did you make, did you use blanched almonds?

Reactions: 3 people

WhitbyJet

No, flaxseed/linseed wouldnt work in this recipe, it wouldnt taste right and would give you the wrong consistency.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The Hairy Bikers in their series Hairy Dieters used thinly sliced leeks as a replacement for lasagna sheets, my wife made it and it worked out OK although it was a little more chewy than normal.

Reactions: 3 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No, flaxseed/linseed wouldnt work in this recipe, it wouldnt taste right and would give you the wrong consistency.

thanks! I thought I had read somewhere that the two were similar but obviously not:)

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Also, as a white sauce replacement, I use low fat philly, melted down with some cheddar thrown in.

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jane, in French they are 'La balle de graines de psyllium (Plantago ovata)'.

Which cake did you make, did you use blanched almonds?

Thanks for translation. Have sent off (at great expense!) to Amazon.fr

Made the muffins that have been on here recently. OKish when covered with berries and Greek yoghurt.
Also made a coffee & walnut cake from a recipe I found on internet - can't now track it down. It was horrible!

For both used ground almonds from supermarket - packet doesn't say if blanched.

Really want to be able to make simple, standard flavoured (such as lemon, chocolate, coffee & walnut) sponge cakes.

Thanks for your help,

Jane.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just tried a variation as I suddenly fancied lasagne.

Pasta, mixture of Bulgar wheat, quinoa, and a couple of small squashes from my summer crop.
All prepared until soft, them blended with a couple of eggs, and a couple of desert spoonfuls of low fat phili.
I don't measure the quantity, just cook by appearances. So enough to give a reasonable consistency, and two baking sheets full.

Couple of tins of tomato, handful of garlic cloves, oregano. mixed herbs, chopped onions, other herbs to taste. Run of out basil though.

Rye flour, olivio, skimmed milk, more low fat phili, and a bit of cheddar cheese for the sauce.

Just made in a really tasty lasagne, pasta was like a wholemeal, but texture was very slightly like it had been aerated, possibly the contrast in the three ingredients was a little too extreme between the hard and the soft. Also the pasta didn't soak up the liquid from the cheese sauce like normal pasta, so it suffered a bit of landslip during serving.

Otherwise excellent.

JustDomUK

As an alternative "pasta". Try unrolled leeks. I found this in the Hairy Bikers cook book. It tastes great and the texture is very similar.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk