What is the best food memory you have ?

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remember the butterscotch tart we used to get as a pudding at primary school. I am sure it started off my sweet tooth !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Treacle sponge pudding and custard . . . but that's mostly because of the man I shared it with (sigh).

Viv :cool:

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
A memory from my childhood is rice pudding topped with cinnamon/sugar and then a browed melted butter sauce. It's not a mix of flavours that you ever forget and turns a rice pudding into something quite luxurious.

Did you fight with your siblings over who got the skin on the rice pudding, we did and it was always the oldest that got their way:(

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
my fav was peanut butter sandwich as a child, as a grown up, a mango shared with my hubby and a towel on a hot summer afternoon.lol

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
After the previous thread I have to admit that where live - 5 miles from the German border, 7 miles from the French border and 10 miles from the Belgian border - we are close to some of the best restaurants in Europe. And we do eat out regularly. But there are still many of the things I was brought up with that make my mouth water when I think of them (cabbage, sprouts and spring greens notwithstanding). Thick slices of buttered toast with lots of butter, done in front of an open coal fire; my mother's apple pie with custard; fish and chips wrapped in newspaper; Melton Mowbray pork pies; Eccles cakes; homemade trifle; Cornish pasties; jelly and blancmange with evaporated milk; oh goodness, I have to stop here, I'm drooling all over the keyboard and I'm afraid I'll electrocute myself.

Reactions: 5 people

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Chocolate sauce is a B*gger to get out of the good sheets!
Can look like skid marks!!

Reactions: 9 people
L

Luna21

Best food memories....

When I was little, my Mum's home made fish n' chips watched in front on the TV watching the wrestling on a Sat evening......We rarely ate out,as it was too expensive when I was young, but I do remember having tea in a cafe somewhere in the Edinburgh area......sausage, steak and gravy pie and to this day I still remember how delicious it was.
Summer ball at a Sergeants Mess in Germany....so many good things I couldn't possibly mention them all, but the spicy prawns were especially amazing from the fish bar....

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Summer ball at a Sergeants Mess in Germany....so many good things I couldn't possibly mention them all, but the spicy prawns were especially amazing from the fish bar....
Well senor NCOs always have the best grub/cooks. When I was on detachment (in my student days) the grub was always better in my mates (NCO) mess than ours (Officers)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Clear and strong memories of both my mother's and grandmother's creme caramels
plus their lump free creamy custard .
Also their own homemade rice puddings and egg custards
NEVER ate the pastry though - just scooped out the egg custard !
Grandma and mum were big believers in making as much as possible homemade
from scratch .

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
"Activity" also burns up calories - every time you fancy a piece of chocolate cake, reach for your man instead!

Goodness - I hope this is an "adults only" thread !

Viv

Why are my smilies always going back to the beginning of this post??

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Can't see any smilies at all in your post. I had that problem too to start with but I don't know what I did to get them under control:wideyed:
I'm sure someone else will know though:headphone:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
getting the diabetes under control was easy in comparisson to getting them smileys down to an acceptable level

this is just an opinion im not a smiley doctor or dsn (diabetic smiley nurse)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Yep, good to remember "activity" can lower bloods and make insulin more efficient.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Anyone had to have some carb after cough 'activity' having gone too low and shaky ?
Bowl of cornflakes I confess for me or a few crackers with jam !
Depending on BS reading of course :)

Last edited by a moderator: