Sweet craving

bopeep12300

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I've been so good for so long but today I caved in & ate a bag of sweets & a bar of chocolate :eek:
I was feeling a bit low in mood & felt I needed something sweet to give me a boost. I didn't have anything else that I could've have. Don't think it will do any harm though just this once. I know I've lost weight since I was diagnosed as I can tell from my clothes although I haven't been weighed since. But it's not from my stomach where I really want it to go from, lol, it's all from my bum & hips. o_O

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
I discovered Atkins chocolate and coconut bar today . DELICIOUS .It has 12 g of carbs , not low but better than having a bounty. I could only eat half of it . Soooo good.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
never mind jump back on that horse :) we all have blips, the trick is to forget it and move on, well done on your progress so far :)

atkins bars are much less than that jamrox

read the front of the packet, in america they dont take the fiber out before telling you the carb content, in the uk its automatically deducted, if i remember its more like 2g per bar

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A bounty's not that high anyway is it, about 15g per single bar if I remember. Good running fuel

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i can recomed elwinas homemade bounty bars i made them recently and suger free snickers blobs all lovley and easyyyyyyyy to make i keep some in fridge for such sweet attacks lol .. falling of waggon not crime just means ur humen xx

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Mint flavoured chocolate matchmakers [my fave's] have 2grams of carbs in one stick .
8 sticks enough for a tasty treat only 16grams of carbs .
Lot of sticks to enjoy/munch a choccy treat with ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Try 85% Dark chocolate. Very good chocolate and only around 20% carbs

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Andy 12345 thats made me even happier. Honest they are delicious and Ill be buying more.

Jumapi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad language; Bad manners; crumbs in the butter! Walking in the rain or high winds.
I guess I'm still at the angry stage. I never been a big chocolate fan, sweets neither really though I LOVE Thorntons toffee. My weaknesses have been ice cream and biscuits (not chocolate coated though) and Wheat Crunchies. My danger zone is night time when I'm all alone, I eat the wrong things and generally think "what the hell! I don't care what they say! (I'm not sure who 'they' are!) at 76 I'm old enough to please myself!". I live alone since my husband did three years ago so I do what I want, when I want, there's no one to worry but myself.
Jumapi

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Jumapi that is so sad. Xxx
I feel like **** if I have to many carbs but I love sweet things. :( .

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
never mind jump back on that horse :) we all have blips, the trick is to forget it and move on, well done on your progress so far :)

atkins bars are much less than that jamrox

read the front of the packet, in america they dont take the fiber out before telling you the carb content, in the uk its automatically deducted, if i remember its more like 2g per bar

Sorry mate, I make it about 15g of so per bar.
uk atkins site, uk listing of the carbs

http://uk.atkins.com/products/bars/chocolate-peanut-caramel.html

14.8g ccarbs, of which 1.1g is sugar, 12g polyol, and listing 9.4g of fibre on top of the 14.8g.

http://uk.atkins.com/products/bars/chocolate-decadence.html

17.9g carbs, of which 1g sugar, 15.9 polyol + the fibre on top again.

American site lists a similar bar, (but lighter, so pro rata)
carbs 30g made up of fibre 10g, 16g polyol, 2g sugar.

Polyol is the stuff in Thorntons diabetic chocolate, (which I eat), it's still a carb, but a low GI one.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Sorry mate, I make it about 15g of so per bar.
uk atkins site, uk listing of the carbs

http://uk.atkins.com/products/bars/chocolate-peanut-caramel.html

14.8g ccarbs, of which 1.1g is sugar, 12g polyol, and listing 9.4g of fibre on top of the 14.8g.

http://uk.atkins.com/products/bars/chocolate-decadence.html

17.9g carbs, of which 1g sugar, 15.9 polyol + the fibre on top again.

American site lists a similar bar, (but lighter, so pro rata)
carbs 30g made up of fibre 10g, 16g polyol, 2g sugar.

Polyol is the stuff in Thorntons diabetic chocolate, (which I eat), it's still a carb, but a low GI one.

from your link it says 2.8g net carbs, what does that mean? its the only thing you didn't list

AdvantageChocolate Peanut caramel
  • 18g Protein
  • 1.1g Sugar
  • 2.8g Net Carbs

i copy pasted that

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
from your link it says 2.8g net carbs, what does that mean? its the only thing you didn't list

AdvantageChocolate Peanut caramel
  • 18g Protein
  • 1.1g Sugar
  • 2.8g Net Carbs

i copy pasted that

For some reason Atkins aren't counting the polyol as a carb.
I don't know whether or not they're right, but Thorntons got dragged over the coals by Watchdog when they used it in "diabetic" chocolate, and had to amend the description to "no added sugar diabetic chocolate"

As far as I know, it's a sugar alcohol, which is a group known to affect blood sugar levels but is digested differently, and doesn't cause the same spike though.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Ohh help , are these atkins chocolate bars low carb or not?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i believed them to be and they dont raise my bg, im not sure douglas may be right :(

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The Atkins daybreak bars are 2.1 net carbs, I eat these quite a bit, barely raises my BG's at all.

They're not, if you count the polyols.
It's good marketing by Atkins though.

For a comparison.

My Thorntons, milk, no added sugar diabetic,

carbs 55.7g per hundred g.
however, 7g sugar
but 47.4g polyols

so net carbs 8.3g in 100g of thorntons milk?

no chance!

I don't low carb, but even I don't eat a bar in one go, and convince myself it's 6g net carbs. It's also about 345 calories a 75g bar, 20g fat, so say 160 calories from the fat, so another 185 calories from somewhere.
And 185 divide by 4?
46 per 75g, or about 60 per hundred, which is pretty close to the 55.7 thorntons list as the carb content.

Atkins aren't magic, they use the same ingredients, they have the same carbs per 100g if you include the carbs from the polyols.
Polyols are carbs, low GI, but they're still digested.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
no its not the only thing that counts, keeping my carbs below a certain level is what counts, its not just blood glucose that benefits from lchf