Unsure of doctors advice!!

Lipgloss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
Hope this isn't too long winded but here goes ,
I was diagnosed with t2 last September hba1c -10 glucose -19.
Iv just had the results of my first blood tests and now my hba1c is 6.4 (is this good ? ) glucose 4.3
I asked my doctor ,over the phone ,if I kept going in the right direction ,could I at some point go from 3 metformin to 2 to which he replied no.that t2 was degenerative .i read here about so many people coming off meds so I was gutted to hear this. I told him I had also lost a stone and a half in weight (recently started low carb thank god ) he then said to make an appt with my (rubbish) diabetes nurse to maybe discuss lowering the dose and them monitoring me closely ! Totally confused now !
Anyone help?

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I have reduced my meds from 3 metformin a day plus 1 pioglitazone a day, down to 1 metformin a day. It is possible. Your doctor is perhaps trying to say that it is a lifelong condition. Not very well but maybe? I don't like to **** all medical professionals, some must be good? Anyway, I would say yes, in bringing down your Hba1c and losing weight then definately have a proper discussion about your meds.

Lipgloss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks,that gives me hope, though think I may need to change surgery !!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi lipgloss, sounds like your doc's glass is always half empty ! Good progress so far and no reason why you can't reduce levels even further. It's your body and you feel you can stay well controlled with a reduction in meds then your doctor should support you and at least give it a try. Can you get a 2nd opinion ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Lipgloss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think I'm going to change surgery , one I go to now really isn't great ,and dont get me started on the nurse ! but have found one with 4 diabetes nurses and a diabetes dr.

Lipgloss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have reduced my meds from 3 metformin a day plus 1 pioglitazone a day, down to 1 metformin a day. It is possible. Your doctor is perhaps trying to say that it is a lifelong condition. Not very well but maybe? I don't like to **** all medical professionals, some must be good? Anyway, I would say yes, in bringing down your Hba1c and losing weight then definately have a proper discussion about your meds.
How long was it before you reduced the met ?

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
I too have managed in the past to reduce the meds - was able to drop the 30mg Glic, but still have to stay on the met . Recently I have had to go back on the glic (at my request) as I felt the met was was not quite enough to help me in conjuction with the diet and exercise I am doing. Doc seemed happy to let me get on with it, so yes - find a doctor / surgery who have some interest / skills in diabetes. I am still in my first year with this sodding disease, so I will take another run at trying to get off the glic.
Good luck

Lipgloss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too have managed in the past to reduce the meds - was able to drop the 30mg Glic, but still have to stay on the met . Recently I have had to go back on the glic (at my request) as I felt the met was was not quite enough to help me in conjuction with the diet and exercise I am doing. Doc seemed happy to let me get on with it, so yes - find a doctor / surgery who have some interest / skills in diabetes. I am still in my first year with this sodding disease, so I will take another run at trying to get off the glic.
Good luck
Thank you , good luck to you too

bumbles1952

Hi,
Hope this isn't too long winded but here goes ,
I was diagnosed with t2 last September hba1c -10 glucose -19.
Iv just had the results of my first blood tests and now my hba1c is 6.4 (is this good ? ) glucose 4.3
I asked my doctor ,over the phone ,if I kept going in the right direction ,could I at some point go from 3 metformin to 2 to which he replied no.that t2 was degenerative .i read here about so many people coming off meds so I was gutted to hear this. I told him I had also lost a stone and a half in weight (recently started low carb thank god ) he then said to make an appt with my (rubbish) diabetes nurse to maybe discuss lowering the dose and them monitoring me closely ! Totally confused now !
Anyone help?
Hi Lipgloss,
If you are testing BG at home you could experiment and monitor the effect of reducing the dosage. I am curently using this approach and have found that I can reduce my dose of gliclazide from 1 per day to 0 or half depemding on my carb intake whilst still maintaining good BG control. (I also take 4 metformin)
Congratulations you are managing your condtion really well. At the end of the day it is down to each of us to decide how we want to manage our condition so I would give it a go you may be pleasantly suprised:)

Lipgloss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Lipgloss,
If you are testing BG at home you could experiment and monitor the effect of reducing the dosage. I am curently using this approach and have found that I can reduce my dose of gliclazide from 1 per day to 0 or half depemding on my carb intake whilst still maintaining good BG control. (I also take 4 metformin)
Congratulations you are managing your condtion really well. At the end of the day it is down to each of us to decide how we want to manage our condition so I would give it a go you may be pleasantly suprised:)
Thank you for your advice and kind words ,this site is great

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
How long was it before you reduced the met ?
I think I got rid of the oioglitazone 1st within maybe 3 or 4 minths of low carbing, the other metformin weren't far behind. But I've been low carbing for 18 months and I'd say ive been one 1 metformin onky for at least 6 months.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you will find GPs and DNs are fixated on leaving you on Met for life. When I went onto insulin year ago I suggested to my excellent DN that I stop my Glic and Sitagliptin which she agreed to but wanted to leave the 4 Met as it was. The HCPs seem to regard the protective properties of Met plus the (small) effect it has on blood sugar plus it's low cost as a reason to leave you on it. Fortunately it is a very safe drug. I may ask my DN again to reduce my dosage as I'm not over-weight. Yes, your HBa1C is very good and not far from 'normal'. If you still have some weight to lose then I would stay on the Met as it helps with insulin resistance

Lipgloss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T
I think you will find GPs and DNs are fixated on leaving you on Met for life. When I went onto insulin year ago I suggested to my excellent DN that I stop my Glic and Sitagliptin which she agreed to but wanted to leave the 4 Met as it was. The HCPs seem to regard the protective properties of Met plus the (small) effect it has on blood sugar plus it's low cost as a reason to leave you on it. Fortunately it is a very safe drug. I may ask my DN again to reduce my dosage as I'm not over-weight. Yes, your HBa1C is very good and not far from 'normal'. If you still have some weight to lose then I would stay on the Met as it helps with insulin resistance[/quoteThanks for the advice,so glad I found this forum!

Lipgloss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you will find GPs and DNs are fixated on leaving you on Met for life. When I went onto insulin year ago I suggested to my excellent DN that I stop my Glic and Sitagliptin which she agreed to but wanted to leave the 4 Met as it was. The HCPs seem to regard the protective properties of Met plus the (small) effect it has on blood sugar plus it's low cost as a reason to leave you on it. Fortunately it is a very safe drug. I may ask my DN again to reduce my dosage as I'm not over-weight. Yes, your HBa1C is very good and not far from 'normal'. If you still have some weight to lose then I would stay on the Met as it helps with insulin resistance
Thanks for the advice, so glad I found this forum