Still waiting...

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi everyone

I am still awaiting diagnosis, but thought I would pop out of lurking to say thank you for keeping me sane this last couple of weeks.

Two weeks ago it occurred to me that all my odd symptoms might add up to diabetes. The doc said I needed a fasting blood test and the first appointment was in two weeks. I went straight to the monitor shop! Fasting test was today and the results might be ready Friday or Monday.

I was very distressed and tearful that first week. I found this forum and was reassured that it is not the end of the world.

I started low carbing, have lost 7 pounds in two weeks and my bg is now in single figures. Regardless of what my diagnosis turns out to be, I am going to keep this up. My horrible symptom of being constantly hungry has stopped thanks to the new regime so I feel a lot calmer around food.

I am making a folder of all the lovely, new recipes I am finding. Cheesy cauliflower mash - WOW! Planning on turning my potato patch into a celeriac patch.

Feeling generally optimistic thanks to the good folk of this forum. Wishing you all a happy and healthy 2014 :D x

Reactions: 4 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, The strange thing will be that now you have control, symptoms will be a little more difficult to detect.
Best of luck in 2014.
Your name is great, my daughter eats avocado like there is no tomorrow and leaves none for the rest of the family.
Happy year to you:):)

Reactions: 3 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Good to hear you are managing to control your diabetes, rather than the other way around. Good luck for 2014 !
Mo

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks izzzi. I still hit a wall at 5pm where I could sleep standing up and my eyes are still fuzzy, so a long way to go. But I am definitely feeling better. I'm no longer a stranger to flax seeds lol I have learned to much in a fortnight.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I am still in limbo :( Got the result today from my fasting test on 31 December. It was 9.1 mmol/L which is quite high. I am putting some of it down to stress! It was 7.4 before I left the house. Twenty minutes later the nurse was poking and stabbing away at me saying, "You will have to come back another day because I can't find a vein today." I got really wound up as I had waited 2 weeks to see her ( I have a chronic anxiety disorder anyway which doesn't help) She finally got blood out of the back of my arm. Tested when I got home and was 9.4.

The doctor wants the test redone next Tuesday. This time I have to drink plenty of water beforehand to make my veins plump up.

Still low carbing, losing weight and feeling less knackered as a result.

On my first fasting test (at home) on 19th December I was 11.4. Today I am 7.4 which is an improvement (although still too high) Going to dust off the cross trainer! :eek:

A

Avocado Sevenfold

After a long wait, I have officially been diagnosed T2 today.

When I first suspected that I had diabetes last month, I made a deal with the Devil to be good. I changed to a lower carb diet, am exercising a bit and my bg has dropped to within the NICE recommended guidelines. I have also dropped 13 pounds. (I have loads left to lose)

Despite making a good start, the doc wants to start me on metformin as she says it will have cardiovascular benefits (and help with weight loss.). She says that it has greater benefits if started early and I will be on it for life. Is all that true?

I may have had more faith in her if she had not said that I shouldn't be testing my bg at home :banghead:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
errr welcome to the club? lol sorry :(

but at least you expected it and have already strted doing the right things :)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Metformin does not directly lower blood glucose but has other benefits such as added protection from certain cancers and reduced cardiovascular risk. It does help regulate the release of glucose by the liver, and helps reduce insulin resistance. There is also on other advantage that if you are prescribed medication of this type you become eligible for free prescriptions for all medications.

You may experience stomach upsets, but if you request the slow release version these are minimal.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sugartoohigh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Potatoes & rice, so no problem there then :)
I can only speak from my own experience but I've got back much higher numbers than that when I was first tested and than double checked and my Doc didn't put me on medication. From what I can understand if your situation improves you may not need to take medication for the rest of your life. It all depends on your life style change and how your body reacts to it.

As Andy says you've taken to first step to doing the right things. Good luck Avocado :)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Metformin does not directly lower blood glucose but has other benefits such as added protection from certain cancers and reduced cardiovascular risk. It does help regulate the release of glucose by the liver, and helps reduce insulin resistance. There is also on other advantage that if you are prescribed medication of this type you become eligible for free prescriptions for all medications.

You may experience stomach upsets, but if you request the slow release version these are minimal.

Thank you. That is reassuring. I was just shocked to be put on meds straight away as her colleague in December had said they would try diet first. Will give them a try. just 1 x 500mg to start. She says to take with evening meal if I am worried about having side effects at work. I politely declined the statins.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I can only speak from my own experience but I've got back much higher numbers than that when I was first tested and than double checked and my Doc didn't put me on medication. From what I can understand if your situation improves you may not need to take medication for the rest of your life. It all depends on your life style change and how your body reacts to it.

As Andy says you've taken to first step to doing the right things. Good luck Avocado :)

Thanks. I guess they could reassess after I get a few good HbA1c results under my belt. I can't believe I forgot to ask for this today! Will ask next week when I see the nurse.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

errr welcome to the club? lol sorry :(

but at least you expected it and have already strted doing the right things :)

I am just happy to be alive at all this evening after nearly inhaling a Brazil nut at lunchtime laughing at one of your posts!!

( It was the one about you keeping your eyeball in your pocket lol)

Seriously, thanks for all your help with the lower carbing, Andy :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i am still hoping that thread dies i feel a total numpty over my reply lol oh well :cyclops:

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you. That is reassuring. I was just shocked to be put on meds straight away as her colleague in December had said they would try diet first. Will give them a try. just 1 x 500mg to start. She says to take with evening meal if I am worried about having side effects at work. I politely declined the statins.

500mg is all I am on too, my diabetes is well controlled and I could probably get by without, but I am staying on them by choice, the additional protection is worth it in my view.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

i am still hoping that thread dies i feel a total numpty over my reply lol oh well :cyclops:

No worries. I can't even remember what the thread was about, just the image of you having a good eye in your pocket lol

I am off to try my new cheese sauce recipe. If it's edible I will post it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

500mg is all I am on too, my diabetes is well controlled and I could probably get by without, but I am staying on them by choice, the additional protection is worth it in my view.

That's good to hear. My prescription says " initially one to be taken...." So will keep an eye on it.

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She says that it has greater benefits if started early and I will be on it for life. Is all that true?

I may have had more faith in her if she had not said that I shouldn't be testing my bg at home :banghead:

On it for life? - not according to my GP (nor quite a few others' on here). If I can show good control and my condition doesn't otherwise worsen, he'd expect I could revert to dietary control only. But then again, my GP was very encouraging about me testing BG at home and then using the results to guide my lifestyle changes.

To my mind, testing ourselves is a no-brainer and I'd hope that, in time, the medical profession will all see it that way too, but I suspect some GPs become rather defensive when patients show what they might think is 'too much of an interest' in therapy, no matter what the ailment might be.

Good luck Avocado. I missed your original post on New Years Eve but I'm wowed at the way you took the bull by the horns, rather than waiting around moping. Way to go.

Reactions: 3 people

chalkie 31

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
GARLIC & tripe
Hi just to say well done on how you are getting to grips with T2 ,I'm on metformin 1500mg a day I take before breakfast also 2 x 80mg gliclazide aday 1mroning with breakfast & 1 with evening meal , I .m lucky no side affects .I wish you well for the future