think my body's being a delicate flower!

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
took my Metformin really late last night without food and woke up feeling really nauseous this morning, is this normal or am I just being a big bloom wuss? only been taking it a week and I up the does tomorrow, so just wondering!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Some people do seem to suffer stomach upset with metformin so no, not a wuss. Always try to take with food though. Perhaps talk to your doc then before upping the dose ? There is a slow release version, metformin SR which is much kinder on the digestive system. Ask if you can go onto them as you are struggling with the regular version. Hope you feel better soon !
Mo

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots, bullies,politicians, David Cameron, Nick Clegg, Ian Duncan smith, racist, homophobes, people unwilling to learn, to tolerate, to listen and in turn be listened too. animal abuser's and people who just don't think about what they say and how it can or could affect the people around them.
i didnt mean to take it late I just completely forgot, I haven't felt hungry really the last few days and only remembered when I took my epilepsy meds which I do when I go to bed. (was up late sorting stuff out for Uni, mute point as felt to sick to go in :/) but will speak with the doctor. I usually get side effects of any meds I'm taking when I first start, if I can just ride it out i know i'll be fine :)

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l take my metformin with my food when l have forgotton and taken it ages after l havent had any reaction l know of however it could be that you do react. How is it with food. And if you forget again take a snack with it...could be as it set to work and nothing there so it sulked by reacting.
If you are worried speak to your dr l understand there is a slow release metformin may be of more use for you.....

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Sighs all that time to type my reply on the phone and wasted my time *off to kick teddy and sulk*

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
its not to bad with food, i just feel a bit sick for an hour or so after so I don't mind! should have had food with it.

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes

Father Jack

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get the full range of gastric upsets from Metformin, flatulence, diarrhoea and constipation, (not all at the same time). I have been unable to correlate a given side effect with when I take the drug or whether I take it with food or not, or what foods I take it with. However, the side effects are relatively mild and for me are outweighed by the benefits of the medication. Ultimately, it keeps life interesting.;)

captainpixie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I get the full range of gastric upsets from Metformin, flatulence, diarrhoea and constipation, (not all at the same time). I have been unable to correlate a given side effect with when I take the drug or whether I take it with food or not, or what foods I take it with. However, the side effects are relatively mild and for me are outweighed by the benefits of the medication. Ultimately, it keeps life interesting.;)

I've upped my dose to twice a day and so far it's only the nausea thats a bit of an issue.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffered from the nausea at first, and still do now from time to time. I stagger the dose so I take 1 at breakfast, 1 at lunch, and 2 at dinner.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App