Still waiting...

Janz234567

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Regarding a curry night, yes I love it and make my own nice curries, however I usually mop them up with lashings of rice. A couple of weeks ago I had a rissioto, now that's definitely out as I had a big spike the day after. So curry a will have to have a tiny helping of rice, I used to also buy the birds eye frozen korma with rice but found this week by reading the label that there's 69 grs of carbs in one meal. I do have brown rice in my cupboard, hate it but better than none. Haven't been to my fav. Chinese since diagnosis, :0(

I've also bought stewing steak for a crockpot meal for Saturday but won't be able to put potatoes or carrots in it. Hmmm, it's a struggle.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i make a dry spicy chicken curry and have it on a bed of shredded lettuce, with onion, i pour lemon juice over it before putting the meat on, i make loads its yummy (my wife is good at it so it must be easy lol)

Reactions: 6 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

At the risk of sounding like a cauliflower evangelist (is that a thing??) I have heard that grated cauliflower can be used as a rice replacement. Not tried it myself. I agree with Andy that lettuce is a good bed on which to put spicy food. I made mushroom and pepper stroganoff tonight and put it on a pile of salad leaves. It was lovely.

I am not a fan of Chinese food, but I did make a good stir fry recently using bean sprouts instead of noodles. Someone here mentioned that you can buy low carb noodles - it was featured on Dragons' Den and I think Holland and Barrett might sell them.

I don't know what to suggest for your stewing steak. (I never learned to cook meat) If you drink, I would suggest throwing it in the slow cooker with some red wine - google will have a posher recipe lol. Serve with a mountain of cheesey cauli mash, of course!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
and god said there will be cauliflower, and there was cauliflower and it was good

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Cauliflower rice is gorgeous. As is roast cauliflower. Look out for cauliflower popcorn!

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
"... its just like being pregnant, you either are or you aren't." That's a very good way of putting it!

(Is that your guitar? We have a replica of Slash's Appetite For Destruction Les Paul. It is a beauty. My son is not bad, but I am rubbish at it lol)

:playful:No, that's my Dream Guitar. It's motivation for me to get healthy and maybe, some day, I can own one. The self-imposed, "carrot-on-a-stick" routine.
I find that I really have to get in gear to adhere to the work involved with having this diabetes. Looking at objects of sheer beauty and imagining that someday, I can have one of my own, is good for my spirit.

Incidentally, avocados are my #1 super-food for getting and staying healthy. They work for everything, including keeping the BG on an even keel.

(My lovely guitars are back east, in New York, one of them an Ovation '"Thunderbolt", replica of the Bon Jovi guitar.
But after trying the Les Pauls, I've decided that they are the best for someone pint-sized like me. I would like to do some kind of swap, in the future, mine, for this Les Paul model).

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Cauliflower rice is gorgeous. As is roast cauliflower. Look out for cauliflower popcorn!

Hi Carraway

I actually laughed out loud at your post, then realised you were not joking!! *adds another cauli to the shopping list* :D

I tried the cauli pizza the other night....any excuse to melt cheese over jalapenos is a winner in my book. Will make it again.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

:playful:No, that's my Dream Guitar. It's motivation for me to get healthy and maybe, some day, I can own one. The self-imposed, "carrot-on-a-stick" routine.
I find that I really have to get in gear to adhere to the work involved with having this diabetes. Looking at objects of sheer beauty and imagining that someday, I can have one of my own, is good for my spirit.

Incidentally, avocados are my #1 super-food for getting and staying healthy. They work for everything, including keeping the BG on an even keel.

(My lovely guitars are back east, in New York, one of them an Ovation '"Thunderbolt", replica of the Bon Jovi guitar.
But after trying the Les Pauls, I've decided that they are the best for someone pint-sized like me. I would like to do some kind of swap, in the future, mine, for this Les Paul model).

That's a wonderful dream. I think it is important to have goals and to treat yourself. A carrot-on-a-stick may be a bit starchy. You might want to consider a cauliflower-on-a-stick! :woot:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well, let's have a cauliflower donut then ? Or a cauliflower packet of crisps lol ? I guess because they would taste nothing like them lol !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Well, let's have a cauliflower donut then ? Or a cauliflower packet of crisps lol ? I guess because they would taste nothing like them lol !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I will give the popcorn a go this weekend and report back if it doesn't kill me! If it caramelises enough, I imagine it might work.

The pizza base does not taste much like pizza either, you just have to use your imagination when you eat it lol

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Cauliflower popcorn is like cold roast cauliflower so let it get very brown and use salt or spices. It didn't quite live up to the brilliant reviews but it made me feel very virtuous!

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
That's a wonderful dream. I think it is important to have goals and to treat yourself. A carrot-on-a-stick may be a bit starchy. You might want to consider a cauliflower-on-a-stick! :woot:

I hope to get cauliflower in the coming week. I like it with melted cheese, probably like one of your recipes.
Btw, would you happen to know WHY I would get high BG readings from pepper-jack cheese? My BG has improved over the past few days,while I'm still experimenting; but, I did notice a high BG reading after the cheese, quite a few hours later, in fact. The vision is blurry too, and that usually means poor sugar assimilation.:(

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well i dont like califlower, but talking about cheese i eat youngs fish pies, there contain cheese