Pedometer Challenge Thread

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
*************New People Always welcome to join in, tag along at the end of the thread********************************

Inspired by Lenny and others trying to 'Change 1 Thing' I bought a pedometer.
We all know that being more active is good for us so if you have a pedometer in the bottom of a drawer or you want to get one.

Use it and post your results. Not too get the most steps but just to improve your step count a little bit more each day or each week.
I'll add my results tonight

Cara

Last edited by a moderator:

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Ok. I cant resist. I'm up to 1322 and I haven't left the house yet!

This is score is chasing after children to send them to school and wandering around the kitchen trying to find things for packed lunches as we had run out of bread. (Now I don't eat it, I don't think about it!)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to put mine on until I went out the door so only 812 for me!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, being a geeky engineer I've set up a spreadsheet to track my activity levels ;)

Reactions: 3 people

nymple

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi carra,

I have a fitbit and have worn it everyday for about a year, although not always consciously paid attention to the numbers. It is remarkable what just being aware of your activity levels can do. I think on an average day, even with my workout I would get around 6000 steps. For the last week or so I've been making a conscious effort to up my numbers averaging around 9500 so it shows the difference being aware of it can be as you start to think of ways to up your activity.

Yesterday was a cardio workout so I managed 12,200 steps, woo hoo! Today is my rest day however I have decided to make an effort to go for a walk after work so I'm not completely sedentary all day.

So far I'm up to 1678 today :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1390900815.150782.jpg

Last week for me

Reactions: 2 people

nymple

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mud Island Dweller,

That is the fitbit. They send you an email once a week giving the stats for the pervious week and you can also check in as often as you want on the web or app (You need a certain level of phone for the app to sync - iPhone 4S and above or Samsung Galaxy S3 or something, it says on the website.

Plus if you like, you can add friends (like me! Haha) to see how you stack up and give some added motivation :) A tad pricey maybe but I love mine!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yes it's fitbit, it's very small and the battery lasts really good about 2 weeks

I've found it has made me a little more active, and if you have friends on it that you are trying to beat then it helps

nymple

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Alas, I have a gadget addiction myself. It is a very lovely gadget though! It's telling me now that I'm at 4400 steps. How are you doing?

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
2019 :( I need a job that isn't at a desk!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They'd probably think I'm having a fit haha! I've been taking multiple sneaky printer trips when I could have done it all in 1 ;)

nymple

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm at a desk too hale. I've been at this for a week now though so have been building my steps up.... Today through getting off the bus a few stops early, walking the stairs at work (down always, up if it isn't too many flights) and I also nipped out for a quick walk at lunch. Plus I never ring anyone in the same building anymore but go and visit them :) Pacing when you are on the phone helps too. It's tough but you can sneak your steps up slowly :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Careful with who you talk to about your interest in pedometry. I remember the paediatrician who was attacked by someone who thought he was a paedophile. Meanwhile I will persevere with the peloton because of my interest in pedantry.

Reactions: 4 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm at a desk too hale. I've been at this for a week now though so have been building my steps up.... Today through getting off the bus a few stops early, walking the stairs at work (down always, up if it isn't too many flights) and I also nipped out for a quick walk at lunch. Plus I never ring anyone in the same building anymore but go and visit them :) Pacing when you are on the phone helps too. It's tough but you can sneak your steps up slowly :)

I drive to work so can't get off the bus early. And walking while on the phone is essentially illegal in my office (as is not holding the handrail on the stairs and not having a lid on your coffee!)

I do all the others though, even before the pedometer! Most recent addition is going to a bathroom further away