Morning blood sugar

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
What range should your morning test be in? Can't seem to find an answer on this one. Mine varies a lot

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
They are good numbers Turvell. Lots of people with good overall control struggle to get their morning levels good down to liver dumps or Dawn Phenomenon or similar.

Reactions: 4 people

lynnet

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am newly diagnosed with type 2 and the doctor has given me 3 months ( diet only - no medication ) to reduce the HBA1C test. Last month it was 6.6. I am being very careful but generally in the mornings it is 6.3. After breakfast and an aerobics lesson it was 4.5. I understand about the Dawn phenomenon theory. I would like some suggestions to how to reduce it for the morning blood prick from people with experience of this. Thanks

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
DAFNE guidelines are for T1 only though!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com
Agreed Hale but most T2's are not even encouraged to test so these numbers are better than none ! Can't be far wrong I doubt ;-)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Agreed Hale but most T2's are not even encouraged to test so these numbers are better than none ! Can't be far wrong I doubt ;-)

I imagine a T2 would prefer a fasting figure of below 5.5 though as an eventual goal though?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I imagine a T2 would prefer a fasting figure of below 5.5 though as an eventual goal though?

Probably, but that's a tough figure to hit. I just think that as most T2's are not encouraged to test, I can't see why the NHS would suggest a target ? Who knows !

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My figures are that of a non diabetic and I test 7 times a day for the last. 3 months. But every so often my morning one is about 6 ish

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I am just find it confusing that's all

What's confusing ? You're doing well. If you want hard and fast rules, you won't get them. We're all different, we tolerate foods/exercise differently, people have varying expectations and our healthcare providers are very different too. Listen to your docs but ultimately, it's your body and your diabetes.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
True enough I just ramped up my running to 5 miles a day hoping I see the benefits at weigh in day Saturday :)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My figures are that of a non diabetic and I test 7 times a day for the last. 3 months. But every so often my morning one is about 6 ish

I'd be thrilled with that if I were you! Clearly working hard and succeeding

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well I don't have to try that hard considering what my life was like before small changes like giving up sugar helped. I was terrible before this was my alarm call

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting Levels:
  • Normal: 4.0 to 5.9 mmol/l (70 to 107 mg/dl)
  • Prediabetes or Impaired Glucose Glycemia: 6.0 to 6.9 mmol/l (108 to 126 mg/dl)
  • Diagnosis of diabetes: more than 6.9 mmol/l (126 mg/dl)
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

If you stick to 4s and 5s, you are in safe territory. The odd reading about 6 like your current 6.5 could be anything, including meter inaccuract, which is plus or minus 10%. In addition, if your liver has just given you a shot of extra fuel, it takes nearly 1 hour for it to be evenly spread in the blood and if it is under 30 mins, you can get high variations between fingers, because of the way blood circulates. If I ever get an unexpected reading, I test on other fingers. I can have a 6.5 in one and a 5.3 in another and a 5.5 in yet another. Testing 30 mins after that and things are more even.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Turvell, my bloods were exactly the same when I started low-carbing: normal all day but nothing could shift my 6+ morning readings. Then a new consultant questioned whether I was really T2 (apparently any T2 diagnosis with normal body weight was being re-checked) and investigated MODY. I now have a diagnosis of mitochondrial diabetes, a common feature of which is co-enzyme Q10 deficiency. I was put on coQ10 and my morning bloods miraculously became normal!

To be honest I don't know the mechanism by which coQ10 affects BS, but it worked for me. Even if you don't have weird mitochondrial diabetes, it might be worth trying coQ10 if you're on statins, as statins interfere with your body's natural production of coQ10.

Kate