Type 1 Sugars keep going up

onthegow

Hi. I have posed here several times but I'm at that struggling phase. I have had an increase in sugars for last 6 weeks They keep going to 24+ then come down to around 11-15. I have tried all sorts of thing. I am carb counting and been on the course. I completed insanity back end of last year and levels were good but now not so good. My mood is all over the dam place like a yoyo. I'm on levemir and novo rapid. I have had enough it's doing my head in. Anyone else having this issue. Oh yes I am putting on weight too not crazy amounts but it's gaining. I have tried no carbs but this does not work for me it makes me cranky. Aghhhh I hate diabetes.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It could be a few things. Basal wrong, QA ratio wrong, or, as you slowly gain weight you are becoming insulin resistant ? I would keep a detailed diary of BG levels, food, insulin etc. I read your levels were good when working out regularly so this could help too. Give all your details to DSN or post here for further advice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What do you mean lack of carbs makes you 'cranky'? Is this a way of saying that you can't get away from them? I suspect you do need to reduce your carbs. What are typical meal patterns? Carb counting is right of course but the question is are you below 200gm/day of carbs

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
First and foremost start off with some basal testing, only when you get that right can you look at the other things.

Katiemorag

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found the idea of low carbs really depressing ... a long list of thou shalt not.

So when I get cranky, I have carbs but only half the portion I would've had with a big portion of veg. It tickles me to be cheating and hopefully I'm limiting the damage.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

onthegow

What do you mean lack of carbs makes you 'cranky'? Is this a way of saying that you can't get away from them? I suspect you do need to reduce your carbs. What are typical meal patterns? Carb counting is right of course but the question is are you below 200gm/day of carbs

Well no is the answer. I try to keep below 200 gm day but honestly it does not happen. This will be the first thing I change.
Thanks for the replies I'll give it all a go.

Kajkam

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Was interested to read of others BS climbing. I have a 15 yr old daughter (diagnosed July '11 at the age of 12) Did OK until Dec this year. Appendectomy followed by climbing blood sugars. Change from Levemir to Lantus seemed to work for about three week, then back in hospital with BS out of control again. Change back to Levemir - split dose this time - that was two weeks ago and despite the increases recommended by consultants and diabetic nurse she's no better off. Overnight drops from HI to about 20 and then steadily climbs back up during the day. Currently TDD is almost twice her bodyweight. Where do we go next......................about the ring the consultant again, but would appreciate knowing if this has happened to anyone else.