Fruit

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My diabetes my anger and my sugars :-(
I have lost 6stone come off insulin to tablets but my issue I have is I snack on fruit to stop me eating I know it fine for normal people but don't think it's good for me? I eat so much of it! What can I eat instead if this isn't good for me???

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nuts are good. Fruit berries are OK to eat without affecting blood sugar too much

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Do you really need a snack?
Try eating fruit as part of your main meal and it will not raise your blood sugars so much as eating it on it's own. Go for temperate fruits rather than tropical ones.

Reactions: 4 people

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nuts are good. Fruit berries are OK to eat without affecting blood sugar too much
Really I was told I need to stop the fruit as it not good for me, well that's a relief thankyou

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Do you really need a snack?
Try eating fruit as part of your main meal and it will not raise your blood sugars so much as eating it on it's own. Go for temperate fruits rather than tropical ones.
I snack a lot don't know why I just get hungry I also work nights If I don't take lots of fruit I will end up eating takeaways :-(

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stick to northern european fruits, apples, pears, plums, cherries, berries. Buy some bags of frozens berries from places like Lidl, let them nearly thaw out but leave a little crunch in. Also, blend with a natural yoghurt. Don't over do it of course but these things are much better BG wise than melon, pineapple, banana etc. Grapes are high in sugar too, so best avoid them. I seemed to be able to eat blueberries by the bucketful, they never bothered me. Test and test again. You'll find some things that suit.

Reactions: 3 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Watermelon has only 7g of carbs per 100 g, being mostly water. So in moderation it is a good choice for the summer!

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1391619158.841236.jpg

Whatever fruit you chose make sure that it is not overly ripe

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fruit may have carbs but they do come in a bundle with fibre and vitamins. So in moderation they are good for everybody. We diabetics have to be wary of their effect on the old glucose levels though, so always test before and after if unsure.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never thought about it but a very popular summertime lunch here in Cyprus is watermelon and halloumi cheese. I guess the fats in the cheese must lower the GI of the watermelon making the combination better for us diabetics!

I do miss the summer!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I do miss it, mostly apples. I can have half an apple directly after dinner now, not more.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I can eat most except banana and grapes. Try berries

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I never thought about it but a very popular summertime lunch here in Cyprus is watermelon and halloumi cheese. I guess the fats in the cheese must lower the GI of the watermelon making the combination better for us diabetics!

I do miss the summer!

Great idea. Thanks.
Many cheese and fruit combinations are wonderful. Haven't seen Halloumi cheese in French shops unfortunately.

Jane.

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I do eat proper food I have stuck to a diet religiously hence the loss of 6stone I however get urges to snack so I eat fruit cos it's non fat! Hense the question what can I pick on instead? Thankyou all for your replies most helpful

Reactions: 3 people