Fruit

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love salad I could start taking that to work what about cherry tomatoes can I snack on those! Cheese is my biggest downfall to be fair I love it

Same here. I always have at least one tomato salad. Sliced cherry tomatoes with thinly sliced red onion and drizzled with a pumpkin seed oil and a tiny amount of balsamic vinegar. Cheese as you say is fattening but, some cheeses are not to bad at all. Oddly enough, camenbert is a lot better than cheddar for dieters.

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My diabetes my anger and my sugars :-(
Corn flakes have a high glycaemic index of 82. Glucose is 100. White rice is 89.

Switch to lower GI foods. For example brown rice is aboutt 50, converted rice, such as Uncle Ben's is 38. I use a converted brown rice which is even less and sometimes pearl barley which is 28. If you eat pasta, switch to wholewheat pasta. A white spaghetti is something like 58 whereas a wholewheat penne might be 30. Also, if it is cooked 'al dente' it will be lower than cooking it til very soft.

You've obviously got a diet which has allowed you to lose weight. I too lost 30Kg but, I dropped by BG levels significantly by switching from thing like white rice to converted brown rice etc. You can eat the same meals. Tonight I am having chicken, mushroom and spinach curry with converted brown rice cooked in a vegetable stock. It only has about 18 g carbs.
Never hears of converted rice?? I will look out for it and try pulses as well :) thank you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know I sound stupid and I'm sorry but what is processed carbs?

White flour, white rice, mashed potatoes etc. They are all subject to mechanical processes which release the starch/sugars so when you eat them, it enters the blood stream very quickly. White flour for example is just the endosperm part of the grain. Wholegrain products, whether rice, oats, flour, are all more coarsely milled and contain the germ and the bran as well as the endosperm. Moreover, they have bigger particle sizes and take longer to digest so there is less immediate impact on your blood giving what insulin you do produce more time to work on it.

wheat.png

Reactions: 2 people

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
White flour, white rice, mashed potatoes etc. They are all subject to mechanical processes which release the starch/sugars so when you eat them, it enters the blood stream very quickly. White flour for example is just the endosperm part of the grain. Wholegrain products, whether rice, oats, flour, are all more coarsely milled and contain the germ and the bran as well as the endosperm. Moreover, they have bigger particle sizes and take longer to digest so there is less immediate impact on your blood giving what insulin you do produce more time to work on it.

wheat.png
Wow! How you learn all this crazy stuff lol

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Never hears of converted rice?? I will look out for it and try pulses as well :) thank you

Chickpeas (gram beans) and lentils are very good normally because they contain oligosaccharides which is types of carbohydrates which don't get digested directly by enzymes but which are broken down by bacteria and only partially digested. They do, as a result, give you wind.

You may have no friends left, but you will have low blood sugar levels :)

Reactions: 4 people

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Chickpeas (gram beans) and lentils are very good normally because they contain oligosaccharides which is types of carbohydrates which don't get digested directly by enzymes but which are broken down by bacteria and only partially digested. They do, as a result, give you wind.

You may have no friends left, but you will have low blood sugar levels :)
Hahahahaha :) :)

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I think if you now start thinking of white flour as endosperm that will probably be enough to put you off!

Thanks Yorksman
;)

Cara

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Corn flakes have a high glycaemic index of 82. Glucose is 100. White rice is 89.

Switch to lower GI foods. For example brown rice is aboutt 50, converted rice, such as Uncle Ben's is 38. I use a converted brown rice which is even less and sometimes pearl barley which is 28. If you eat pasta, switch to wholewheat pasta. A white spaghetti is something like 58 whereas a wholewheat penne might be 30. Also, if it is cooked 'al dente' it will be lower than cooking it til very soft.

You've obviously got a diet which has allowed you to lose weight. I too lost 30Kg but, I dropped by BG levels significantly by switching from thing like white rice to converted brown rice etc. You can eat the same meals. Tonight I am having chicken, mushroom and spinach curry with converted brown rice cooked in a vegetable stock. It only has about 18 g carbs.

What is converted rice? Is ordinary Uncle Bens white long grain rice ( Virginia rice I think) converted rice or are you referring to something else?

Thanks

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You haven't got a blood glucose monitor? You have to rely on the HbA1c test?

You know what? If your surgery/DN/whoever won´t give you one, the best investment ever in your health is to buy one! Beware that the test strips are expensive though. There are threads on here about prices and different brands, what you can get for free and what is available on e-bay. Check them out.

With a bg monitor you can check you bg whenever you are curious about how different food items affect it. This is the only way to know. It has make a huge difference for me and for many others. You can take control of your blood glucose through a bg monitor.

Ignoring the risk Douglas will want to cut my throat again, by the way I don't advocate a diet of E%saturated fats! I would like to know what kind of dietary advice you have been given. Basically everything with grains in it might spike your bg in some cases even higher than pure sugar. Potatoes in most shapes as well. On the other hand, every carbohydrate will dissolve into blood glucose once it is in your body, so the less carbs you eat the better. Then you need energy, and cutting down on carbs you have two other energy resources, protein and fat. You will need protein, but to up your protein intake to make up for the lower carb intake is not a good idea, so then you are left with upping your fat intake. And that is good for you!

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
[qu ote="catherinecherub, post: 477116, member: 11441"]Sarah, Have you read the post for newly diagnosed diabetics? It is general advice and will help you to decide what you can and cannot eat and the main thing you have to do is test. as your reaction to foods may be totally different to someone else.

There are lots of different ways of managing your diabetes and there is no blueprint, life would be so much easier if there was. People get very enthusiastic about their particular diet plan and some think that it is the only way. If you test you may find that your management ends up being a mix of several diets. Be concerned about what will suit you as opposed to being told what you must do.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.26870/

Test, test and test some more and keep a food diary and remember that there are things that will influence your readings like exercise or lack of it , stressful situations, infections, leaving too long a gap between meals.[/quote]t was really helpful I read it all thanks again

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sarah

Most of the people on this forum will agree that the most effective way to reduce your blood sugar levels is through a combination of
- restricting your intake of carbohydrates ( pasta, bread, rice, sugar,)
- replacing carbohydrates which cause your blood sugar to rise quickly (I.e have a high glycemic index value) such as white bread and pasta for lower glycemic index carbohydrates such as brown whole grain multigrain bread, brown pasta, bulgur wheat.
- exercising more and losing weight - helps as it reduces insulin resistance in t2 diabetics.

Where people on here do not agree is on how much you should reduce your carbohydrate intake by and the extent to which you should substitute the carbohydrates with fats particularly saturated fats. If you restrict your carb intake greatly then you almost have to have more fats just to stop you from feeling hungry. An alternative would be to have a lot of protein but that is both difficult to do and probably not a good idea as high protein diets have been linked with kidney disease.

So how do you decide how much you need to restrict your carbohydrates and what carbohydrates to chose. As we are all individuals, in my opinion you should experiment and monitor how different quantities of different carbohydrates affect your own blood glucose levels. For this you will need to test before and two hours after each meal- your after reading should be within 2 mmol/l of the before reading. You should then be able to make your own educated choices.

It helps if you keep a record of your readings and a food diary. There are a number of phone apps or online that will help you do this. Personally I use glucosebuddy and myfitnesspal on my iPhone but as I said there are plenty of good alternatives.

I hope the above helps and you are able to get those numbers down soon.

Pavlos

Downloaded the apps thank you

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
You have to find a diet that suits you, and you do need to test your bs after every meal. I get a meter and strips through my doctor, so I can't advise on the best cheap one if you can't, but others can.

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The best time to eat fruit is after your main meal as what you have previously eaten will effectively lower the GI of the fruit as digestion will be slowed down (especially if it had some fat in it ;))
So maybe choose fruit for pudding instead of a yogurt :) thanks

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You have to find a diet that suits you, and you do need to test your bs after every meal. I get a meter and strips through my doctor, so I can't advise on the best cheap one if you can't, but others can.
I do have one and strips both prescribes through docs :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I do have one and strips both prescribes through docs :)

Excellent.
You need to test before you eat, keep it fairly simple so there's not too many different foods in the mix, then test two hours later,
You'll soon get an idea which foods are ok, and which to avoid.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Or alternatively, little and often, if that works for you, as it'll keep the GL down, unlike a large amount of food in one go.
They're all valid, so find something personal, and make it work for you.
Eat to your meter.