Fruit

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The original poster has lost 6 stone and has managed to come off insulin, so she must be doing quite a bid right despite her worry about snacking on too much fruit. I would suggest that if she is testing regularly and her sugars are within the acceptable/healthy ranges before and after meals then perhaps she does not need to change that much. Perhaps change some fruit for raw nuts or raw vegetables such as cauliflower, cabbage, celery, kohlrabi or artichoke. However if the snacking is during work time it may not be as easy to have the vegetables as the fruit and nuts. Also try swapping fruit that are high in sugar such as melon and grapes for more diabetic friendly alternatives. Since living with diabetes is for the long run and we need to come up with diet plans that we can stick with, I see no reason for you to eliminate fruit from the diet as long as frequent testing shows that glucose levels are maintained within the healthy envelope.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not when you are diabetic.

Food are things like meat and veg you eat at the table together with other people preferably

Yes I do miss it, mostly apples. I can have half an apple directly after dinner now, not more.

I just ate an apple.
And quite often, very sociably, at the table, with the family, we all eat homemade fruit salad.
If my meter says it's ok, it's ok, and the rest of us are diabetic on here too normally, and most can survive without exclusive meat and veg.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do eat proper food I have stuck to a diet religiously hence the loss of 6stone I however get urges to snack so I eat fruit cos it's non fat! Hense the question what can I pick on instead? Thankyou all for your replies most helpful

But for the love of God, why not eat fat?
Will it make you fat? No
Will it help you regain a normal weight? Yes indeed.
Will it raise your bg? No.
Apart from it being healthy.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Its tricky to choose a good snack when you are diabetic and want to loose weight. I would be careful with nuts as very high in calories (if you are dieting) and go for low sugar fruits or veggies as celery sticks, cauliflower, peppers etc.

Reactions: 3 people

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My diabetes my anger and my sugars :-(
I don't understand I'm told to diet cut out fat and sugars eat fruit veg and carbs ! I do thAt I get to a healthier level and now being told stop eating fruit eat fat???? Confused.com

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just ate an apple.
And quite often, very sociably, at the table, with the family, we all eat homemade fruit salad.
If my meter says it's ok, it's ok, and the rest of us are diabetic on here too normally, and most can survive without exclusive meat and veg.
Good for you. My meter tells me something else entirely, unfortunately.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
But for the love of God, why not eat fat?
Will it make you fat? No
Will it help you regain a normal weight? Yes indeed.
Will it raise your bg? No.
Apart from it being healthy.

Why eat fat?
What is the point of telling everyone on every post that they must eat fat?
How old do you think we are on here?
It's a site full of adults that are making their choices.
So when someone asks about fruit, they don't want to told to have a bar of lard instead in every post!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand I'm told to diet cut out fat and sugars eat fruit veg and carbs ! I do thAt I get to a healthier level and now being told stop eating fruit eat fat???? Confused.com

How does your levels look like? Post them!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Good for you. My meter tells me something else entirely, unfortunately.

That's your meter on your body, so that's my point exactly.
We're all different. Accept it and let it go.

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My sugars are really bad had blood test they at 13.5% thTs why I have joined this site I really need some help

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Sarah

Why dont you post a few meals /menus up and we will see if we can tweak it with a few ideas.

Cara

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why eat fat?
What is the point of telling everyone on every post that they must eat fat?
How old do you think we are on here?
It's a site full of adults that are making their choices.
So when someone asks about fruit, they don't want to told to have a bar of lard instead in every post!
Please Douglas, cant we have this discussion privately? I would like you to explain the problems you seem to find with fat. It seems unfair to hi-jack the thread for your unfounded aversion to good food if it contains fat.
This woman seems to have got the healthy plate advice and I think she is a proper heroine for managing to loose 6 stone. I want to help her, you want to flog me for reasons unknown.
I did say I thought she should eat proper meals. Now I will have one.

Reactions: 4 people

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My days mostly consist of cornflakes with kiwi and Greek yogurt breakfast! Ham sandwich/sweet potato salad or tin soup lunch! And dinner mainly meat fish and veg or pasta n rice then I pick at fruit all day n night as I working..

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Please Douglas, cant we have this discussion privately? I would like you to explain the problems you seem to find with fat. It seems unfair to hi-jack the thread for your unfounded aversion to good food if it contains fat.
This woman seems to have got the healthy plate advice and I think she is a proper heroine for managing to loose 6 stone. I want to help her, you want to flog me for reasons unknown.
I did say I thought she should eat proper meals. Now I will have one.
Thank you I appreciate ur help

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
celery,raw carrots, pork scratching's, whole almonds with a small sq of 81%chocolate,lettuce with cold boiled eggs ,thumb size piece of cheese, sugar free jelly with frozen raspberries slice of beef jerky, all good snacks but not all at once moderation is the key lol.

Reactions: 3 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Why there is always argument about low carbing! There is no need to be so aggressive as we all have right to choose what feels best for us.

Sarah try to cut fruits and any processed carbohydrates. Go for low GI such as lentils, chickpea, barley

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Grazing on fruit won't be good for you.
I tend to eat one piece a day.
How about cucumber, celery, things like that?

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I love salad I could start taking that to work what about cherry tomatoes can I snack on those! Cheese is my biggest downfall to be fair I love it

Sarah2014

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Why there is always argument about low carbing! There is no need to be so aggressive as we all have right to choose what feels best for us.

Sarah try to cut fruits and any processed carbohydrates. Go for low GI such as lentils, chickpea, barley
I know I sound stupid and I'm sorry but what is processed carbs?