Newly diagnosed Type 2 - problems getting meter

Roo14

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello

I was diagnosed Type 2 just before Christmas, and am struggling to come to terms with it. I have had my first appointment with the Diabetes Nurse, and she refused to give me a meter because "there is nothing you can do about it if your readings are too high". Personally, I would have thought that it would help you work out what causes you to spike and what doesn't. I know from the forum that testing is important, so I went to Boots this morning to buy a meter - a simple enough thing, I thought. I even printed out the VAT exempt form to make things easier. However, I ended up stressed and frustrated and came home meter-less due to the staff's unhelpful attitude and inability to sort out the VAT. First of all, I spoke to a trainee who then fetched another member of staff because she didn't know about meters etc. When the senior member of staff came she said that she thought the meters were already free of VAT because "only diabetics use them"! When she eventually accepted that I was right, she couldn't work out the discount so called someone else, who looked through a book to try and find out what to do. After 15 minutes with no apparent progress, and a need to catch the bus home with my elderly mother, I said that I had to go as it was taking so long. Only the trainee apologised. I felt patronised, fed up and annoyed that our leading chemists are so clueless when it comes to diabetes aids. I won't be going back, and have instead purchased the meter etc online.

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear of your problems with 'Boots' their staff and obtaining a B/G test meter. If it's anything to go by, your experience isn't unique as many pharmacies, simply don't understand even the basics of what they are selling or what this diabetic thing is all about. Having got yourself throught that ordeal, now is the time to calm down and read the instructions on how to use your test meter and also find out where you can obtain a supply of the appropriate test strips and lancets at a sensible price.
When you eventually get settled down, you will then establish a regular routeen in testing and can then make appropriate changes to your choice of diet and portion sizes.
Having your own test meter will pay for itself in what it can show you on a daily basis as to how to keep a tight control of you B/G levels which in the long term will help you in maintaining good overall health.
Why the NHS decided to cut back on meters/test strips and lancets is beyond my thinking, for surely in the longer term it can only be of health benifit to us diabetics and in helping them keep their costs down.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you that you finally managed to get a meter ordered. Your diabetes nurse is talking complete rubbish of course and I find it scary if she claims to be a diabetes nurse; be careful with any advice she gives. I don't like criticising the 'experts' as an 'amateur' but needs must when your long-term health is at stake. It's your choice to make of course. You can do a lot knowing your blood sugar. You can see which foods spike you the most and by how much. As a T2 you will need to being controlling your diet and you will find that the carbs are the guilty party. By finding out whether you are able to get your sugars in the right region by just dieting you will determine whether you need to start medication as well. The HBa1C test the DN should be giving you at least annually will tell you and her how well controlled you are overall. Anything between 6 - 7% in old money is OK but the lower the better within the range. Anything over 7.5% needs serious attention with the right meds and diet and exercise of course. Armed with your own readings puts you in a position to discuss intelligently with the DN how far to go with the meds.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I bought my own meter when I was diagnosed and I have got others since Very occasionally I can persuade my GP to provide strips which I get for my aviva nano otherwise I use my codefree meter because the strips are much cheaper Testing before meals and then 2 hours later tells you whether what you have eaten has been a good choice Taking control of your diet and your Diabetes is the best way so keep at it and you will get lots of tips on this forum
CAROL

Reactions: 4 people

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
Hello

I was diagnosed Type 2 just before Christmas, and am struggling to come to terms with it. I have had my first appointment with the Diabetes Nurse, and she refused to give me a meter because "there is nothing you can do about it if your readings are too high". Personally, I would have thought that it would help you work out what causes you to spike and what doesn't. I know from the forum that testing is important

Hi Roo14, It sounds as though you will soon be getting to grips with this. I can see you have a brain to work things out for yourself. Lots of the advice above is spot on too. I think you will soon be in the swing of things, getting your BG count into the safe range etc,.
When I started testing, last week, I did it simply to get to know what my BG levels were and what foods make them spike etc. I bought a meter and got cracking. I test regularly for my own satisfaction. I'm not actually diabetic yet but am a high risk so want to learn how it works and how to control it etc. for my own peace of mind. Don't be suprised by the DNs. They are not all singing from the same hymn sheet, sadly. This forum is one of the best places to get up to date information. I think I'm right in saying that it's not an exact science, it is individual to each person. I've got more energy anyway now and I feel much better. But I'm not going to be telling my GP everything because I don't want her to criticise me or tell me that I'm being too cautious. I want to prevent Type 2, simple as. A lot of it is common sense when you know the basics and I think you have that in bucket loads, otherwise you'd have bought the meter in Boots at full price, but you knew better. You';ll be fine, enjoy the journey, you'll feel much better!

:watching:

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's great you decided to buy a meter, and hopefully you can get things under control, but if you look on the net most companies give meters away free,

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Roo14

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you everyone for your support - it's really appreciated. Crimsonclient, I did a search for free meters, but the only ones available wanted people who use insulin.

bumbles1952

I got an SD Codefree meter and 300 strips for £42.95 from Homehealth-uk. Excellent value 50 strips are £6.99 much cheaper than others I have seen. I have been using the meter for 9 months without any issues.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Thank you everyone for your support - it's really appreciated. Crimsonclient, I did a search for free meters, but the only ones available wanted people who use insulin.
I know it's a bit cheeky but if you want a free meter just click to say you're using insulin. They'll get their money back when you buy the strips. They can afford it lol !

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try Abbott for a freestyle, they give them to Type 2 and it doesn't matter if you are on insulin or not, I've had three from them now.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I got an SD Codefree meter and 300 strips for £42.95 from Homehealth-uk. Excellent value 50 strips are £6.99 much cheaper than others I have seen. I have been using the meter for 9 months without any issues.
I too have just purchased a CodeFree meter becuase the strips are cheaper.

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I too have just purchased a CodeFree meter becuase the strips are cheaper.
ALSO, the tubs are slimmer .. so I use those in all the cases... then they all zip up nicely ...

:joyful: