Blood result diaries

kelp84

Hi everyone!
I was wondering - do all ppl who consider themselves well controlled ( good HBa1c) use a blood monitoring diary?
If so you please share stories on how u keep it up? Mine never last more than a few days and I have tried lots of ways over the years ...
Thanks guys you really are an amazing source of knowledge xxxx

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Erm no tips. I just fill it in without thinking! Should refer to it for patterns more often though

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

kelp84

Erm no tips. I just fill it in without thinking! Should refer to it for patterns more often though

Do you carry it around with you all the time? What one do you use? Do u always note down what you are eating? :) x

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I use 3 phone apps ( on my iphone) to keep truck of my diabetes related matters, so I guess I do carry these always with me

- myfitnesspal - as a food diary and to help with weight loss. It has a very extensive database of food and a very useful barcode scanning feature.
-runmatic - to keep track of my exercise ( mostly waking). It has added advantage that it posts automatically exercise summary to myfitnesspal.
-glucosebuddy - to keep truck of meter readings, HbA1c scores, daily carb intake and daily exercise. The last two I enter manually from the daily totals in myfitnesspal.

You can get these, and other similar apps, on other platforms as well such as android etc

I find that the process of keeping a record of things helps keep me focused and disciplined.

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Garr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It just becomes a habit after a while, I use the logsheets from Integrated Diabetes,
http://integrateddiabetes.com/diabetic-logsheets/
I downloaded them, then slightly altered them to suit me. Tried to find an app for my phone so I could have them with me all the time but haven't found a decent one yet.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to have a tiny pre-printed diary that came with the glucometer and fitted into the glucometer case, so I just wrote in the date, time and reading and ticked pre- or post-prandial or fasting. Then I downloaded logs and folded one into the case. But I admit after I'd filled it up I'd write below the columns, around the edge and over the page because I didn't get round quickly enough to printing off another sheet. Now I've got glucometer that records all that itself, and I can download the records on my laptop and e-mail them to the doctor.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the moment I use an exercise book which I keep in the kitchen along with my BG meter. I write down BG readings and carbs, and will soon record calories, and I bought one of those pens with 4 different colour inks - not very sophisticated at the moment.lol.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I don't think it really matters what you use to record your data, the simple fact that you bother to log at all is usually a good sign that you are motivated look after yourself. It's also a very useful tool to look back on if you begin to experience unexplained lows or highs. There are many though that log everything but never actually use the sata, seems like a waste of time to me.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you carry it around with you all the time? What one do you use? Do u always note down what you are eating? :) x

I tuck mine into my diary so it's with me most of the time. I note down g of carb as opposed to actual food usually :) I'm using a DAFNE one at the moment

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the mysugr app on my phone - always with me and easy to put details in.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Many different and even better is that they suit the OP.
I use an XL spreadsheet for recording carbs, calls, protein, fast etc meal by meal; all BM reading recorded, big list of food item data, car a, calls etc and another for "meals" which is a total of different food items which make,up a meal (for me) not saying everyone will like what I usually eat, but it is recorded to help me see if there is a pattern to my currently crazy BM results. If any one would like a copy pm me your email and I'll send a copy.
Enjoy

jodysd6

I have tried many different ones, books that came with meters, ones given by diabetes clinic, a few different apps, keeping my own in a notebook, printing off data sheets from pumping insulin, smart charts books, and currently the one that comes with my current pump, which I am actually really liking and seems to fit me well. I think it's very personal and depends on what you need, at the moment mine has a lot of info without being overwhelming but is enough for me to spot patterns and make adjustments. Whatever way you do it though I think you do stay in better control just by the act of doing it, once I stop recording as much I inevitably also slip in testing, accurate counting etc and then control slips.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never use one unless my bg control goes pear shape, the meter I use records insulin doses, carbs, exercise and illness so it's good enough for me.

BramHall456

My doctor does not want to know when. I take my record book my mean average bg reading fasting befor breakfast is 7.00 mmols.dont bother during thre day.so trying to get a stable reading is impossible.hba1c is 6.5. How am I doing??.I have trouble with digestion on the metformin,a full feeling after my evrening meal. , not nice atall.so like the rest of us fed up to thre back teeth of diabeties got very very painfull neuropathy with it aswell (no cure).doctors try to ram pain killers down my throat but they make you ill as well.just wish at times I could get blotto. Any comments? bramhall 123

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never use one unless my bg control goes pear shape, the meter I use records insulin doses, carbs, exercise and illness so it's good enough for me.

Mine doesn't do that :(

iHs

I have always used a bg monitoring diary. Aventis (Lantus) do fairly good ones with plenty of room to write down stuff. Now that I use a pump, Accu chek do really good bg pump logbooks that have columns for carb, bolus, basal, correction bolus. I recommend the pump bg logbooks for all bolus/basal (MDI) users.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Noble head!
What meter do You use? Can u get the strips on the NHS?

It's the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert, the test strips for the Expert are just the same ones used for the other Aviva meters such as the Nano.

I got my meter from my DSN who guided me through how to use it and input all my information.