Good carbs bad carbs?

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
I'm just a little confused as to what's a good carb and a bad carb relating to diabetes. When I went shopping last night I wanted to buy things that were either sugar and salt free or low calorie things. So for my breakfast I bought Shredded wheat, Weetabix and Fruit and fibre with 1% fat milk. My initial thinking was that they portray themselves to be sugar free and salt free etc. However when reading the small print I see the carbs are 69% of which a certain % sugar's. Is this good or bad for my diet?

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i personally stay clear of cereals and low cal stuff as i find it send s my sugers up, try eggs for breakfast if u have the time, i have either eggs or greek youghut as i work early, it is hard to understand the labels on things but my rule of thumb is anything over 10g suger i avoid like the plauge xx good luck check out the forums lots of good advice

Reactions: 2 people

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
the sugar free and salt free is irrelevant really, the carb value is what you are looking for........

but even if it is a small carb value, everyone is different and some carbs work for some and not for others.........for example a lot of cereal can cause havoc for non insulin dependant diabetics.....

getting a blood glucose meter is a good idea so you can test to see what works for you.......

I haven't really made it any clearer, sorry.......:(

bullseye58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, rain,
the sugar free and salt free is irrelevant really, the carb value is what you are looking for........

but even if it is a small carb value, everyone is different and some carbs work for some and not for others.........for example a lot of cereal can cause havoc for non insulin dependant diabetics.....

getting a blood glucose meter is a good idea so you can test to see what works for you.......

I haven't really made it any clearer, sorry.......:(
Its ok I get your drift thanks.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just a little confused as to what's a good carb and a bad carb relating to diabetes. When I went shopping last night I wanted to buy things that were either sugar and salt free or low calorie things. So for my breakfast I bought Shredded wheat, Weetabix and Fruit and fibre with 1% fat milk. My initial thinking was that they portray themselves to be sugar free and salt free etc. However when reading the small print I see the carbs are 69% of which a certain % sugar's. Is this good or bad for my diet?
Bad carbs include white bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, cakes, biscuits. Cereals are mostly high in carbs as well as sugar. Concentrate on low carbs rather than worrying about calories or sugar.

Keep asking questions and you will soon be an expert.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
carbs that act slowly on your blood sugar level............that's the good ones......

you would think porridge was one of them, and for some it is, but for others its not........

test, record, test, record...........:)