Insulin, needles and flying

andybob

Flying from Manchester to Belfast in a few weeks. Never flown before with Insulin and needles etc. How should I pack them will they go in the hold bag ok or as hand luggage? Hoping that there might be some seasoned travellers on here who can help.

Thanks
Andy

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I carry it all as hand luggage just in case your hold luggage goes missing. You can get a note from your doc stating the meds you require to travel with but I've never had to show it. The people on security don't even mention it. Enjoy the flight and make sure you take extra of everything !

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take mine in hand luggage and have never had a query. I do carry a letter from my DN in case.

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been told you should never put the insulin in your hold luggage as the temperature gets too cold for the insulin and it ruins it. Until then I always had some in hand and some in hold in case one lot got lost

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
agree with mrs b. I tend to put it in one of those seperate plastic bags like liquids but thats it.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup all in hand luggage.

If you're travelling with a friend / family pop a spare meter, insulin, needles etc in their bag. That way if one bag is lost you have a spare of everything

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
ALWAYS carry your insulin and meter/needles etc in your handluggage .
If insulin is placed in hold it can get so cold the insulin CAN freeze !

Reactions: Sani Thomas

lizbet9

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
All in hand luggage and I put a spare kit in my husbands bag, I get a letter from my diabetic nurse stating that I am diabetic and have to carry certain items also put in a copy of your script xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

babyboscher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Have all in hand luggage. Have a letter from nurse stating that I'm diabetic and need certain medication with me at all times. Although have had bag searched and been questioned because airport security do often reject reading the letter I have

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Take it in the hand luggage and a doctors note just in case. Saying that, I have never ever had my needles etc questioned in an airport, even in Australia!!

suzyl57

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I went to India in October and had mine in my hand luggage with a letter from my doctor. No problems at all.

vivienannmott

The one thing I know always take is a sharp box as you cannot put them into the house waste. Also take little pads of alcohol wipes too. I went to the states and there in some states they have a machine in the supermarket where you drop all your sharps in but they do charge you for disposing them

stephenmblake

A group of 10 were at heathrow to go to New York with BA. As I was advised I told the check in desk I was carrying needles and they shouldn't be a problem and noted it. All went well through security where I again advised if the needles and they said as long as you have a medical letter then ok. They didn't want to see it.

At check in 9 of my party including my wife had successfully gone through but the alarm went off when my boarding pass was scanned! They asked me about my needles asking how many I was taking in board, 12 I replied to cover my trip should my hold bags go astray. They told me I can only take 8 on board!

I was told to sit at the side whilst checks were made and after about 20 mins she came back to me and said that she can't get the definitive answer so I better continue on board! I met my wife and party who were obviously very concerned.I felt as if I was a criminal. I also said I understand all about security but I can't be the first diabetic to fly with you! No comment came back.

Once in my seat I was approached by a stewardess asking for me to hand over my needles stating that if I need them then to press the call button and that she would return them at the end of the flight.

We landed and no one brought me my needles and kit back so I asked another stewardess who knew nothing about them. I had to go the back of the plane and find them myself!

No problems at JFK and I advised them as I did in heathrow.

I complained to BA who apologised and offered a £50 voucher. I want after any form kf compensation but wanted to highlight what fix ethics are treated like.

I no longer advise anyone in airports and simply carry the necessary in my hand luggage and dill in future plead ignorance. This is really not the right thing to do but I am not prepared to be treated the same again.

I

Kailin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Flying from Manchester to Belfast in a few weeks. Never flown before with Insulin and needles etc. How should I pack them will they go in the hold bag ok or as hand luggage? Hoping that there might be some seasoned travellers on here who can help.

Thanks
Andy

Hi Andy,

It seems like you have received great suggestions from the forum already. I myself am insulin dependent 12 years and have been flying my whole life.
So I wanted to share my experience with you.
First you don't need to announce to anyone ever you are carrying diabetes related equipment and medication. If asked, answer what it's for (I tend to say 'I'm diabetic, I can't survive without it!'). If you want to be on the safe side get a letter from GP stating you are diabetic, medications and traveling.

Never ever put any medication in luggage due to that luggage can delay, get lost and cargo hold can freeze (insulin freezing bad idea). I carry my stuff in a kit in my carry on, if it doesn't fit in one carry on, get another carry on. I've always explained when asked what was inside ( again 'I'm diabetic, I can't survive without it!') and have been to allowed carry an extra bag. I do this as I am away for weeks at times and need a larger amount of meds.
I noticed others mentioned partners carrying an extra kit, that's a fab idea. I travel alone, so I ask the GP to give me an international prescription for needles and throw away insulin pens (for example novo rapid flexpen) just in case I need it. Like if I lose, forgot or broken my pen, which has happened to me before. It really difficult for me in foreign countries to get a pen that would fit my cartridges. Glucose monitors & needles are more easily to purchase and replace.
Major airlines carry a 'sharp box' to dispose of your used needles. Just ask the air hostess for one and return box when done. If they don't have one, I would suggest keeping it in a Tupperware box, if you like.

Airports/customs and airlines are more understanding nowadays as they have more awareness of diabetes then they used to. It should be friendly we are like every other passenger except our pancreas are pens and needles.
Prepare well and you have nothing to fear.
Have a safe trip and hoped this helped.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Going to be cheeky and add a topic related question

I will be travelling myself in the summer and will be away in a hot country for 30 days, my insulin pens last 28 days ( only about 21 days of actual use) so my question is how do I take more insulin to last my full duration, obviously I will take more pens but what about the temperature rise, it is a 12 hour flight, is it ok to use a frio wallet and then at my destination put insulin back in the fridge for storage, or just try and buy some insulin there after my first pen has run out..?
Appreciate some advice thx

nelmes

Going to be cheeky and add a topic related question

I will be travelling myself in the summer and will be away in a hot country for 30 days, my insulin pens last 28 days ( only about 21 days of actual use) so my question is how do I take more insulin to last my full duration, obviously I will take more pens but what about the temperature rise, it is a 12 hour flight, is it ok to use a frio wallet and then at my destination put insulin back in the fridge for storage, or just try and buy some insulin there after my first pen has run out..?
Appreciate some advice thx

I use Frio packs to carry my insulin when I'm away. They contain a jelly like substance, that is recharged by water, and keeps the contents cool enough for insulin to be ok. They aren't very cheap to buy (abgout £25 for the largest size) but well worth it. I use a small one in work, as the officec can get very hot in the summer

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Thanks for info, just was not sure if you could frio insulin from fridge for about 20 hours then back in fridge at destination, due to the heat rise and then back again :)

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
I’ve been on a lot of flights and been stopped once for a stupid reason nothing diabetic related but no ones ever questioned about my diabetic needles but we carry a letter in case and also I keep the needles with the insulin which is in liquids bag so there for security know it’s to do with your medical stuff