Gaining weight....

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was 13stone last summer, and now I am down to about 10st 7 which seems to have dropped from about 10st 12lbs at xmas.

What should I be doing to gain some weight as I aren't that comfortable with losing so much,

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well a typical day would be
Breakfast porridge with berries
Lunch - Sandwich / Soup
Evening meal - Meat and veg

Nothing outside the norm tbh.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There are other reasons why you may be losing weight, but from what you have posted, it's not a lot of calories.
I would say eat more initially.
You need to test what makes your bs rise, and avoid that.
But anything else, unless you have a another medical reason to avoid it, eat.
I prefer a balanced diet, others eat more protein, others eat fat (but you need to monitor bloods either way)
If you eat more calories than you use, you will normally gain weight.

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really getting down about the whole thing. Its so hard and the nhs are on the whole *****.

Guess I will be eating more chicken breasts to bulk up

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. What is you typical blood sugar? Has it been going up as the weight has come down. How old are you?

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No my blood sugar has been been single figures since dec 28th, apart from 2 occassions.
I am nearly 41, I weighed 13 stones back last year, I think the problem is that I aren't eating enough calories pure and simple. The other problem is that I have avery quick matabolism as well.

Just got to work out what I need to eat more of without stacking my BG up

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I was 13stone last summer, and now I am down to about 10st 7 which seems to have dropped from about 10st 12lbs at xmas.

What should I be doing to gain some weight as I aren't that comfortable with losing so much,

How tall are you? By doing some simple sums, I calculate you have a perfect BMI [25] for someone of 5 feet 4 inches.
Hana

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5ft 11in So my BMI is 19.9 according to the NHS site which is healthly.

My point is I don't want to loose more weight, I want to eat more to gain some but not sure what to eat without affecting my sugar levels

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi dweldon
It is a nightmare I struggle to keep my weight up and BGs down Nuts, seeds , cheese ,cream I get Jersey double ,dark choc ,test to see how much you can manage ,coconut oil to cook with and to eat if you can I exercise to try to build muscle I try to snack between meals but this is not always possible I hate HAVING to eat rather than eating for enjoyment so sometimes if I dont feel like a snack or a loaded plate I just have what I feel like and then I may feel hungry a short while later and then I will eat a piece of cheese and a handful of nuts.I also enjoy a glass of wine with my meal
CAROL

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Thanks for the info. I had wondered whether you were a late onset T1 and not T2 as weight loss is an indicator. As your blood sugar is stable it looks like you have a good diet and perhaps could add more protein and fats?

2christine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well if you really want to gain weight do you want fat or muscle ,some fit training may help if its muscle,notherwise ,its cream cakes would be my choice lol.

Reactions: 2 people

dwelldon

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the tests for T1 and they came back negative, which was a relief. The centre can't work me out as they have gradually reduced me down to just half a tablet of gliclazide.
They said the weight loss is classic T1, but given the tests were negative they assume I am T2/Pre or even have had a virus in my pancreas as my levels have stablised. I think I need to up my calorie in take as I don't think I am eating enough as it were.