1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Gaining weight....

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by dwelldon, Feb 18, 2014.

1. dwelldon

dwelldon Other · Well-Known Member

I was 13stone last summer, and now I am down to about 10st 7 which seems to have dropped from about 10st 12lbs at xmas.

What should I be doing to gain some weight as I aren't that comfortable with losing so much,

2. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What do you normally eat?

3. dwelldon

Well a typical day would be
    Breakfast porridge with berries
    Lunch - Sandwich / Soup
    Evening meal - Meat and veg

Nothing outside the norm tbh.

4. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There are other reasons why you may be losing weight, but from what you have posted, it's not a lot of calories.
    I would say eat more initially.
    You need to test what makes your bs rise, and avoid that.
    But anything else, unless you have a another medical reason to avoid it, eat.
    I prefer a balanced diet, others eat more protein, others eat fat (but you need to monitor bloods either way)
    If you eat more calories than you use, you will normally gain weight.

5. dwelldon

I really getting down about the whole thing. Its so hard and the nhs are on the whole *****.

Guess I will be eating more chicken breasts to bulk up

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

6. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. What is you typical blood sugar? Has it been going up as the weight has come down. How old are you?

7. dwelldon

No my blood sugar has been been single figures since dec 28th, apart from 2 occassions.
    I am nearly 41, I weighed 13 stones back last year, I think the problem is that I aren't eating enough calories pure and simple. The other problem is that I have avery quick matabolism as well.

Just got to work out what I need to eat more of without stacking my BG up

8. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

How tall are you? By doing some simple sums, I calculate you have a perfect BMI [25] for someone of 5 feet 4 inches.
    Hana

9. dwelldon

5ft 11in So my BMI is 19.9 according to the NHS site which is healthly.

My point is I don't want to loose more weight, I want to eat more to gain some but not sure what to eat without affecting my sugar levels

10. carty

carty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi dweldon
    It is a nightmare I struggle to keep my weight up and BGs down Nuts, seeds , cheese ,cream I get Jersey double ,dark choc ,test to see how much you can manage ,coconut oil to cook with and to eat if you can I exercise to try to build muscle I try to snack between meals but this is not always possible I hate HAVING to eat rather than eating for enjoyment so sometimes if I dont feel like a snack or a loaded plate I just have what I feel like and then I may feel hungry a short while later and then I will eat a piece of cheese and a handful of nuts.I also enjoy a glass of wine with my meal
    CAROL

11. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Thanks for the info. I had wondered whether you were a late onset T1 and not T2 as weight loss is an indicator. As your blood sugar is stable it looks like you have a good diet and perhaps could add more protein and fats?

12. 2christine

2christine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

well if you really want to gain weight do you want fat or muscle ,some fit training may help if its muscle,notherwise ,its cream cakes would be my choice lol.

• Like Like x 2
  13. dwelldon

I had the tests for T1 and they came back negative, which was a relief. The centre can't work me out as they have gradually reduced me down to just half a tablet of gliclazide.
    They said the weight loss is classic T1, but given the tests were negative they assume I am T2/Pre or even have had a virus in my pancreas as my levels have stablised. I think I need to up my calorie in take as I don't think I am eating enough as it were.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook