Coconut oil

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
LOL! It's not my favourite either but I do sometimes drink it. Why??? I dunno! :facepalm: :p

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
As everybody keeps mentioning putting coconut oil in coffee I have now tried this, and I did use my stick blender.

Bleuargh! That has ruined my day! Three mouthfulls of yuk was as much as I could take before I chucked the rest. Had to break my rule and have another proper coffee after midday to get rid of it the taste. Mind you I hate cream in coffee too, I rarely even put more than a splash of milk in it.

Nothing against coconut oil per se, but I think I'll stick with using it just for cooking.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Proper coffee, splash of milk for me as well I'm afraid.

Reactions: 3 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I used to drink "proper coffee" very strong and black, but following a heart attack in 2000 even a single shot started causing problems, so now I have to stick to decaf. I tried the real thing again before Christmas and was ill for 24 hours.... Unable to see or stand properly and incapable of holding a conversation. Very weird, lol

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only coffee I drink is fresh ground full roast espresso, usually a quadruple, first thing in the morning and thats usually the only coffee I have all day, apart from today because I was travelling this morning and didn't get my morning hit in before I left for home.

We just use one of our italian espresso pots on the stove as I like to grind the beans myself and cant be bothered with those electric coffee makers, people seem to spend forecer trying to keep those clean. I do also like to throw a handful of cardommon pods in the grinder with the coffee beans though, a trick I picked up on my travels!

Reactions: 2 people

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooer missus, over on reddit its being touted as good for the bedroom if you catch my drift.:eek:

Reactions: 6 people

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got used to it. The first time I used coconut oil in a recipe, I couldn't believe how NASTY was the result. I binned the cookbook in disgust. Since that outburst, I've tried coconut oil in other recipes and can nearly say it's ok.

A

AnnieC

Thanks everyone I have now used it for cooking.. a little for cooking some bacon and mushrooms a stir fry and roasted veg... I did not really notice any difference in flavour to when I cook in olive oil but in coffee I really don't think I could stomach that. Going to try it with the melted chocolate and nuts also the Almost Bounty bars

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks everyone I have now used it for cooking.. a little for cooking some bacon and mushrooms a stir fry and roasted veg... I did not really notice any difference in flavour to when I cook in olive oil but in coffee I really don't think I could stomach that. Going to try it with the melted chocolate and nuts also the Almost Bounty bars

Not sure about cooking bacon with added oil, but I've decided to try a bit of rice bran oil for frying if I need it, seems to be the best balance of fats, and gets good reports over smoke point.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Coconut oil sounds like something one should use to get a tan. :)

Many years ago I had a mate who wanted a tan. So we went to the local wholefood shop and bought quantities of coconut oil and sesame oil. (The sesame oil was to prevent wrinkling......:eek:)

Birling Gap on the Sussex coast was our destination and there was a nude sunbathing part where we used to go.
We got absolutely black in no time at all and I wouldn't recommend this today to anyone as I don't think it's safe somehow.....

Great all over tan though....:snaphappy:

Reactions: 4 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Many years ago I had a mate who wanted a tan. So we went to the local wholefood shop and bought quantities of coconut oil and sesame oil. (The sesame oil was to prevent wrinkling......:eek:)

Birling Gap on the Sussex coast was our destination and there was a nude sunbathing part where we used to go.
We got absolutely black in no time at all and I wouldn't recommend this today to anyone as I don't think it's safe somehow.....

Great all over tan though....:snaphappy:
The first time I ever used Coconut Oil was as a suntan oil. Way back in the late 1950s I went to the Channel Islands, got friendly with a few locals and it was their recommended suntan oil....it certainly worked! Like you I had a wonderful deep tan, and smelt great too.. Didn't know about factors in those days, lol.

Reactions: 4 people

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Can anyone help regarding cooking with oils? Today I have been out and bought coconut oil, organic extra virgin oil and rapseed oil all of which I was told were good for diabetics, however which one do I use and for what difference purposes in my cooking!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
may not be helpful but l was always told only use rhe olive and coconut oils all others rapeseed peanut sunflower etc are made with unhealthy methods and not to use them.
Olive was told here low heat cooking or direct to foods
Coconut again light cooking and direct
And think it was Thermomobear is the chef very up on oils ask them :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Olive oil actually has a high smoke point. I must admit, I though otherwise at first.
Rice bran oil is another good oil to cook with, again a high smoke point.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I was also told it was no-no because the oxidation process when heating extra virgin olive oil and the subsequent free radicals that can cause an inflammatory response in the body is something to be avoided.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Rice bran oil seems the best all rounder for cooking.

A

AnnieC

I did read up a lot about coconut oil and yes it is said to be good for diabetics although it is still said olive oil is the best. I use both but still use olive oil mostly but I never cook with virgin I just use the ordinary olive oil for that and keep the virgin for salad dressings,,,my favorite is virgin olive oil with chilli
I see rapeseed oiI is becoming the oil of choice for some of the TV chefs now.

jules65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you pick up Tesco's own brand Vegetable oil & read the ingredients you'll see it is in fact Rapeseed oil and far, far cheaper than buying the fancy bottle of Rapeseed!!