1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Coconut oil

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by AnnieC, Jan 26, 2014.

1. NotSoSweet2

NotSoSweet2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you all, your replies are really helpful as a relatively newbie I am always learning new things and this site is wonderful for getting advice and insight, new idea's etc.

2. NotSoSweet2

Douglas, where do I get rice bran oil from? Health food store?

3. MCMLXXIII

MCMLXXIII Type 2 · Well-Known Member

TESCO just under 2 quid

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

4. NotSoSweet2

Bargain, thank you for that info and plenty of Tesco stores around.

5. mistyweather

mistyweather Type 2 · Active Member

I have a dollop of unrefined coconut oil in my Oats So Simple lin he mornings. Going to have to give this up soon as I want to start the LCHF diet as soon as I come back from my holiday in a couple of weeks. Will have to find another way of having my daily dose. Another great use, sometimes for dinner I have peppers, red onions, courgette and carrot roasted with the stuff and a bit of balsamic. Love this and it doesn't seem to harm my sugars either

6. FatGenes999

FatGenes999 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I haven't missed a day of using coconut oil since I discovered that it helps to keep my GI tract in good working order, so we're talking about 1 and 1/2 years. Now I also use it as a source of fat to lower my BG. I usually have it 1:1 ratio with teaspoons of ground flax, or, sometimes in a warm drink, coffee, tea, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Beachbag

Beachbag Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 5
  8. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

That's good to know as I've just got some via Amazon - if I get it from Tesco instead it comes out of housekeeping money and not out of my own pocket! :joyful:

Robbity

• Like Like x 2
  9. Beachbag

:hilarious: "Every little helps" :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  10. mistyweather

Beachbag, do you use refined or unrefined. I have always used unrefined but I now see there is one called KTC but it is refined but a whole load cheaper than the one I have been getting. In your opinion is there much difference?

11. janewatt

janewatt Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello

Just seen your post.
    Have a look at link Beachbag gave above - it says:
    "If you want to enjoy the immense health benefits of coconut oil, then make sure to choose organic, virgin coconut oil… NOT the refined stuff."
    I guess that's why it's so expensive

Jane

• Like Like x 5
  12. mistyweather

Thanks, up until now, that is what I have done. Also, I have a dental appointment at the end of the week, I don't fancy it much but am going to try some "oil pulling" with it for a few days to see how I go.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Beachbag

@mistyweather
    :) Sorry, have been busy today so just got here!
    Jane has already pointed you in the right direction....I know unrefined organic is a LOT more expensive, £6 per 293ml for Groovy Food Company which is stocked in Tesco but it's the real stuff. Refined coconut oil has been bleached and deodorised and is pretty awful stuff..
    http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/refined-coconut-oil.html :nailbiting:
    Good luck with the oil pulling...a word of warning...DON'T spit it down the sink, it will solidify and clog the drain! Spit into a tissue.
    Rather you than me at the dentist! ;)

14. mistyweather

Yeah, I did get the Tesco one, once. Have you tried Coconoil? I found this on ebay. 460g plastic tub. Price ranges but can be bought 3 for £18 if you look carefully. This is with p & p too.

• Like Like x 2
  15. modesty007

modesty007 Other · Well-Known Member

As a coconut oil lover, yes eating, in coffee and cooking (especially high temps) I did a test of some UK brands and I like a good creamy taste, have a look, some of them like Groovy is not very tasty - http://lowcarbhealthyfat.com/2013/07/31/more-coconut-oil/
    For cold dishes like salads I use virgin olive oil and frying butter (grass-fed) or coconut oil. Stay away from those omega-6 rich and chemically produced vegetarian oils.

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook