Coconut oil

A

AnnieC

I have read on here that coconut oil is a good one to use. I bought a bottle but now don't know how to use it.
I know this sounds silly but it is in a narrow neck bottle and is solid so how do I melt it to get it out of the bottle and do I use it for cooking like I would olive oil

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Ive got a couple of those bottles, you need to put it somewhere warm before you can use it. I normally put mine next to the slow cooker when its on. Today though im going to do my other method of carefully holding it over the steam as the kettle boils.

As to uses, use it to fry or cook, in your coffee, im making the almost bounty bars on the chocolate paradise thread with it today.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get Lucy Bee's coconut oil which comes in a jar - easy to spoon out if it's gone a bit solid.

Reactions: 4 people

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Speaking as someone who can not stand coconut unless l dug it out of the shell then it is bearable how the heck can you have the stuff in coffee???????????????????????????????????????

perrypeter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
oily foods
Coconut oil is great for cooking.I believe it has medium chain triglycerides which aid in glucose absorption by cells.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
It's lovely to have in coffee well mixed together with butter, also great for frying also deep frying, eating, baking, melt and mix with chocolate (at least 75%) app 50:50 pour into ice-cube forms or other small forms then fridge/freezer = healthy snack :)

Reactions: 6 people

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
I keep my jars of Coconut Oil in the cupboard right above the stove. Keeps them at an easily edible temp for a quick snack. I sometimes eat it right off of the spoon, and started doing this many months ago for my IBD. I use the Organic Virgin kind, and it is the only singular food that has controlled my IBD, so now I use it even more since I have the DB. The brand that I use has the full coconut flavor, which is the end result of how it's been processed. Wonderful stuff!

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's nice in the Rocky Road recipe with 85% chocolate, sugar-free marshmallows and almonds - on the low carb recipe thread. Holland & Barrett sell coconut oil in wide-necked jars.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
KTC Coconut oil at the Asian shop has gone up to £1 .89!!! It makes wonderful roast celeriac and swede also roast spud for husband I can eat it off the spoon good for gaining weight I have found very little difference between this and the H &B brand except the price
CAROL

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

KTC Coconut oil at the Asian shop has gone up to £1 .89!!! It makes wonderful roast celeriac and swede also roast spud for husband I can eat it off the spoon good for gaining weight I have found very little difference between this and the H &B brand except the price
CAROL
I paid £2.59 for a jar of KTC at an asian shop last week...going to try roasting the veg with it

A

AnnieC

It's lovely to have in coffee well mixed together with butter, also great for frying also deep frying, eating, baking, melt and mix with chocolate (at least 75%) app 50:50 pour into ice-cube forms or other small forms then fridge/freezer = healthy snack :)
Are you saying you actually have the coconut oil and butter in your coffee.. don't think I will be trying that... doesn't the oil anf fat float on the top of the coffee

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Are you saying you actually have the coconut oil and butter in your coffee.. don't think I will be trying that... doesn't the oil anf fat float on the top of the coffee
Not if you use a small hand blender.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As everybody keeps mentioning putting coconut oil in coffee I have now tried this, and I did use my stick blender.

Bleuargh! That has ruined my day! Three mouthfulls of yuk was as much as I could take before I chucked the rest. Had to break my rule and have another proper coffee after midday to get rid of it the taste. Mind you I hate cream in coffee too, I rarely even put more than a splash of milk in it.

Nothing against coconut oil per se, but I think I'll stick with using it just for cooking.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App