Vitamin D deficiency

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I went for my quarterly check-up a few days ago. As I mentioned in a post last weekend, the results were all OK (and thanks to those who posted supportive replies) except for vitamin D, which was 28. The doc said the level should be nearer 100, and 25 marks the point at which it's labelled "deficient".

He prescribed a vitamin D supplement, Colecaliferol 800iu tablets, with a dosage of 1/day and said he'd like to see me in 6 months.

I'm now wondering what to expect when the supplement kicks in. I'd been feeling generally below par and tired for a while but I'd put this down to the winter (I've never been a lover of the dark nights and cold weather). Now I'm hoping it's due to my vitamin D levels.

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, can you tell me what an increase in your levels did for you?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Tom!

I was told I was vitamin D deficient in December. I was tested because of low calcium and was told this is often caused by vitamin D deficiency. I was put on a course of strong vitamin D that I have to take once week. I can't say I've noticed any difference in how I feel, but I didn't notice anything before I was found to be deficient either. I have to go back for another blood test in March to see how the levels of both vitamin D and calcium are doing.

Smidge

desidiabulum

Hi. Like Smidge, I have Vit.D and calcium deficiency, also very low B12. I was really looking forward to the burst of energy I was promised once I started on the supplements and injections nearly 2 years ago ........ I'm still waiting! :(Some people clearly do get an energy surge -- fingers crossed that you are one of them. Good luck!

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I struggled for over two years with low mood, extreme tiredness, no energy. After doing my own research I got my Vitamin D levels tested. They came back as deficient.

I've been taking prescribed Calcichew D3 Forte twice a day since then (contains 800 IU Vitamin D3). This doesn't seem enough as at this level I still have some symptoms. I take an additional 2000 IU of Vitamin D3 standalone and another 200 IU in cod liver oil tablets. so 3000 IU in all.

This level of supplementation makes me feel ok and when I first started taking it (probably a month after starting supplementing) a colleague noticed how much brighter and how I had more energy, so for me it does work. I work indoors and don't have an outdoors lifestyle. I don't tend to wear sunscreen either (but I am aware of exposure and cover up instead of slapping on chemicals).

Not many people are aware that Metformin can deplete Vitamin B12 levels, so I also take a supplement for this. I stopped taking this for a while and noticed the difference to my energy levels - they weren't so good.

Other causes of extreme tiredness include:
  1. High blood sugar levels (although with your HbA1c probably not a problem)
  2. Underactive Thyroid
  3. Iron deficiency anaemia

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vitamin D is needed to metabolise calcium. Even if you eat calcium rich foods but lack vitamin D, you won't metabolise it. Calcium is vital. If you don't get enough in your diet, your body will extract what it needs from its own bones.

Fortunately the number one source for vitamin D is sunlight. If you are working down a mine all day or work night shifts, there are some good foods that diabetics can eat,

Sources-of-Vitamin-D.jpg

Personally, I think the NHS is failing in it's duty just prescribing tablets all the time and people with vitamin d deficiency in the winter months ought to be prescribed 2 weeks in the Maldives.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluebell13

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I was severely deficient in vit D (a reading of 14!) and felt awful with aches in my joints and feeling dreadfully low. My GP put me on Calcichew and wiThin 3 months I cannot tell you how much better I felt. Loads more energy and aches in joints all went. I was also much brighter and positive in myself as well. My GP told me to go out in the sun between Apr and Sep, at the hottest part of the day, for 15 mins uncovered to build up good stores again. I also take a supplement everyday now but especially in the winter.

I hope you feel better too - so good luck.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
my diabetic 10 yr old had a vit d deficiency her number was 7 she takes Colecaliferol 1000iu 3 times a day, she started thyroxine at the same time, the only things weve noticed is her being happier which could also be coincidence and her bones and joints which used to click all the time without pain have stopped clicking, not sure which meds did this tho

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Hi Tom,

I have a vitamin D deficiency and currently take Colecalciferol 1,000 units one a day for 3 months now and they really have helped me, the aches and pains have diminished considerably and I am now stronger and more upbeat as a result. I personally would recommend them to anyone who doesn't get out much and lets's face it not much sun these days. I hope you are feeling better soon :)

judy.suirane

Thanks so much for your posts about vitamin D deficiency. I live in Canada Nova Scotia where we had very little sun in the winter it's quite cold and miserable and I've been feeling the same as most of you. So I'm going to go on vitamin D tomorrow thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you decide to go onto vit d make sure you have a serum calcium check first because if you have high calcium taking vit d can be dangerous
CAROL

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
Hi Smidge o too found out last year o have vitD deficiency. Consultant suggested to my GP I should have 50, 000 iu's of colecalciferol per week as a 1 dose tablet for several weeks. However my GP refused saying that i did not need that much and offered instead a much reduced amount of 800 iu's x 4 per day. I went back and forth between Consultant and GP and 6 months after diagnosis of vitD deficiency I eventually got them. Omly been taking them for 5 weeks so haven't noticed any improvement as yet. Meanwhile I'll post here when I do or when I've had blood tested again(GP has sent me a blood test form to have it done now whereas my consultant wait at least 6 months as it continues to rise long after last tablet. Why oh why do my GP and consultant never agree with anything putting me as the patient piggy in the middle and leaving me more anxious than ever regarding all the different tests I've had done since first consulting my GP 12 months ago and still no further forward than i was then. Oh this waiting game is beginning to get to me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

judy.suirane

Started taking vitamin d 50001u per day also Krill 1000 units starting to feel better. Was really down and lethargic longest winter ever here in Nova Scotia Canada. I use the vitamin d drops in juice and love it! Krill is the new super omega three being 48x more powerful great for cardio and joints etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Vitamin D deficiency is common, particularly so in people with autoimmune diseases. I spend most of my summers outside working in the sun and still only had 48 when I was tested early autumn. This is few years ago and since I supplement with 5000IU per day during the dark months.

The safe upper limit for well people is 4000IU. I doubt 800 IU per day will make much of a difference.

I also doubt the usefulness of calcium if it is vitamin D deficiency you want to treat.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Vitamin D deficiency is common, particularly so in people with autoimmune diseases. I spend most of my summers outside working in the sun and still only had 48 when I was tested early autumn. This is few years ago and since I supplement with 5000IU per day during the dark months.

The safe upper limit for well people is 4000IU. I doubt 800 IU per day will make much of a difference.

I also doubt the usefulness of calcium if it is vitamin D deficiency you want to treat.

I would seriously urge you to read this link Totto
http://www.mayoclinic.org/vitamin-d-toxicity/expert-answers/faq-20058108

Quote from linked page re: Vitamin D toxicity:
The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause symptoms such as poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur.

Taking 50,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day. Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor and only for a short time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would seriously urge you to read this link Totto
http://www.mayoclinic.org/vitamin-d-toxicity/expert-answers/faq-20058108

Quote from linked page re: Vitamin D toxicity:
The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause symptoms such as poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur.

Taking 50,000 international units (IU) a day of vitamin D for several months has been shown to cause toxicity. This level is many times higher than the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for most adults of 600 IU of vitamin D a day. Doses higher than the RDA are sometimes used to treat medical problems such as vitamin D deficiency, but these are given only under the care of a doctor and only for a short time.
I have never seen or heard anyone recommend doses of 50 000 a day as a suitable dose. What it shows is that vitamin D is, contrary to older belief, safe in high doses. The dose is of minor importance, but what it actually do to your level is. I have to take at least 5000 IU per day to keep my vitamin D decent.

A link to EFSA on vitamin D: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/de/efsajournal/pub/2813.htm

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
EFSA said:
It was concluded that vitamin D at doses up to 275 µg/day does not lead to persisting hypercalcaemia or hypercalciuria in adults.

The link you provided merely speaks about small doses and only states that -see above as being safe.

Where as the link I referred you to says:
"The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a build up of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause symptoms such as poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur."

Obviously kidney problems are not something any diabetic would want to risk is it? But of course you can do as you like just as long as you are aware of the consequences of Vit D toxicity..

Last edited by a moderator:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The link you provided merely speaks about small doses and only states that -see above as being safe.

Where as the link I referred you to says:
"The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a build up of calcium in your blood (hypercalcemia), which can cause symptoms such as poor appetite, nausea and vomiting. Weakness, frequent urination and kidney problems also may occur."

Obviously kidney problems are not something any diabetic would want to risk is it? But of course you can do as you like just as long as you are aware of the consequences of Vit D toxicity..

"For adults, hypercalcaemia was selected as the indicator of toxicity. In two studies in men, intakes between 234 and 275 µg/day were not associated with hypercalcaemia, and a no observed adverse effect level (NOAEL) of 250 µg/day was established." http://www.efsa.europa.eu/de/efsajournal/pub/2813.htm

As 275 µg/day is the same as 11 000IU I am not too worried. I have however experienced what deficiency does and don't want to ever again. My dose of 5000 IU or 125 µg keeps my level of 25-OH-D3 at 100-115 and that works fine for me.

I want to stress that what is of importance is whether the dose you are on does the job or not. Some people need very high doses, others can manage on less. You need to test.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The units can be confusing. 4000 IU is the same as 100µg.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I was diagnosed Vit D deficient and prescribed tabs at 25000 IU a day for a couple of weeks to get my levels back up. The doc now says to take 250 - 500 IU a day. Irritatingly it didn't make me feel any different as my tiredness was down to something else.

The one to watch out for is B12 deficiency as normally that can only be sorted out by a course of B12 injections. I read that you need to take very high doses in tablet form, around 40000 (forty thousand) times the RDA for it to have any effect as B12 is broken down by stomach acid. If you are B12 deficient then go see your doc rather than thinking you can sort it by eating B12 rich foods like steak etc. You need to get your levels restored to normal via injections before a B12 rich diet will keep you topped up.