Extremely concerned and would really appreciate some advice.

Hopeful Alfie

Hi guys. I've just come back from a stressful day at work so thank you for the posts, they made me feel a lot better :). Since last Sunday evening I have stopped Symbicort (I shouldn't have been on it for so long on this dose anyway). Shelly I was thinking about going to a chiropractor also but I wanted to wait for the CT scan result first. Sunshinegirl I really hope that it was the steroid inhaler causing the elevated FBS and that it returns to normal.

I've booked my OGTT and hb1ac test for next Tuesday. The lady said to fast from 10pm and I should be there for 9am. She said they'll draw blood and I'll be given Lucozade to drink and tested 2 hours later.

Regardless of what the results will be I have decided to make changes to my diet to eat more healthy. I went to Asda after work today for some groceries and instead of buying white bread I chose brown bread. Crisps, chocolates and drinks were replaced by crackers, snackajacks, raisins/fruits etc and no added sugar Ribena and Robinsons. I'm also going to try and add non starchy vegetables into my diet.

Hopeful Alfie

Hi PLO. Although one should keep an eye on one's health, it is not good to read too much into slight deviations. Your symptoms certainly do not seem to be any great cause for concern, and even if you are sometime found to be pre-diabetic it is not the end of the world, as it is normally manageable. BUT it has not yet happened !! You must realise that your biggest problem is worry, so my advice would be to address this mainly. Worth finding out how to just relax. Good luck with the problems.

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi PLO. Although one should keep an eye on one's health, it is not good to read too much into slight deviations. Your symptoms certainly do not seem to be any great cause for concern, and even if you are sometime found to be pre-diabetic it is not the end of the world, as it is normally manageable. BUT it has not yet happened !! You must realise that your biggest problem is worry, so my advice would be to address this mainly. Worth finding out how to just relax. Good luck with the problems.

Hey Alfie. Finding this place with great knowledgeable people here has certainly alleviated some stress compared to how I was before! I think that is sound advice you've given. I'm trying to keep relaxed until my further test results, however only then will my mind truly be at rest! Thanks for your kind words.

Reactions: 2 people

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone. Just an update. So on Tuesday I went for an OGTT and HbA1c test. My blood was taken and I was given a whole bottle of Lucozade to drink and my blood was taken again 2 hours later.

I just received a phone call from the doctors today and he told me everything is normal and okay. I asked him for the numbers and he told me

OGTT - 5.1 mmol/L (fasting blood levels) and 6.1 mmol/L two hours after drinking Lucozade.

HbA1c - 25 mmol/mol and I used the units converter on this site to convert it to the equivalent 4.5 mmol/L and a DCCT-% of 4.4.

I am extremely happy with my OGTT test, especially the FBT value of 5.1. I don't have much experience with HbA1c so I checked on several websites and they all say it's a good value. However could I please still get peoples opinions on both of my GTT and HbA1c values?

Regardless of these results I have already totally changed my diet and I have started exercising more (stuff everybody should be doing anyway!). I want to thank everybody who replied here. You guys were really helpful and supportive. I obsess and worry a lot and you really helped me through a stressful period :)

DiamondAsh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Disregard for authority. Noise.
So very well done... You are firing on all four cylinders.... If you keep up with the eating plan you are on, you should continue like that and decrease your chances of future ailments..,. (within reason, of course)

PLO

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes