1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Extremely concerned and would really appreciate some advice.

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by PLO, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hopeful Alfie

Hopeful Alfie · Active Member

2. Hopeful Alfie

Hopeful Alfie · Active Member

Hi PLO. Although one should keep an eye on one's health, it is not good to read too much into slight deviations. Your symptoms certainly do not seem to be any great cause for concern, and even if you are sometime found to be pre-diabetic it is not the end of the world, as it is normally manageable. BUT it has not yet happened !! You must realise that your biggest problem is worry, so my advice would be to address this mainly. Worth finding out how to just relax. Good luck with the problems.

3. PLO

PLO Prediabetes · Member

Hey Alfie. Finding this place with great knowledgeable people here has certainly alleviated some stress compared to how I was before! I think that is sound advice you've given. I'm trying to keep relaxed until my further test results, however only then will my mind truly be at rest! Thanks for your kind words.

• Like Like x 2
  4. PLO

PLO Prediabetes · Member

Hi everyone. Just an update. So on Tuesday I went for an OGTT and HbA1c test. My blood was taken and I was given a whole bottle of Lucozade to drink and my blood was taken again 2 hours later.

I just received a phone call from the doctors today and he told me everything is normal and okay. I asked him for the numbers and he told me

OGTT - 5.1 mmol/L (fasting blood levels) and 6.1 mmol/L two hours after drinking Lucozade.

HbA1c - 25 mmol/mol and I used the units converter on this site to convert it to the equivalent 4.5 mmol/L and a DCCT-% of 4.4.

I am extremely happy with my OGTT test, especially the FBT value of 5.1. I don't have much experience with HbA1c so I checked on several websites and they all say it's a good value. However could I please still get peoples opinions on both of my GTT and HbA1c values?

Regardless of these results I have already totally changed my diet and I have started exercising more (stuff everybody should be doing anyway!). I want to thank everybody who replied here. You guys were really helpful and supportive. I obsess and worry a lot and you really helped me through a stressful period :)

5. DiamondAsh

DiamondAsh Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So very well done... You are firing on all four cylinders.... If you keep up with the eating plan you are on, you should continue like that and decrease your chances of future ailments..,. (within reason, of course)

6. ShellyC23

ShellyC23 LADA · Well-Known Member

Well done carry on with this and hopefully your results will stay normal for years to come :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

7. PLO

PLO Prediabetes · Member

Thanks @DiamondAsh and @ShellyC23 ! All the best guys :)

8. DiamondAsh

DiamondAsh Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm glad you're not worrying so much now ... nice!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook