Why always doom & gloom with Diabetes?

wizardo

I was reading a topic "Symptoms of autonomic neuropathy", diarrhoea, constipation, lack of libido, infections, amputations, teeth problems etc. etc. You would think that by chance there just might be the odd benefit. For example why can't gentlemen with diabetes become muscular, suffer oversized penises and massive erections. Or ladies with diabetes, loose fat, and grow a 38" firm bust. You'd think that there might just be just the odd benefit. On a slightly more serious note, is it worth considering a dating section on the forum?

Reactions: 5 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well for me there has been a real benefit. I have changed my lifestyle for the better and I am sure I am going to live longer than I would have done as the slob I was (well until that same bus hits me no matter what path I took :bag: )

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
No gloom or doom with me neither.

I'm perfectly happy being diabetic.

I eat well. (I certainly don't do no 'carb counting'.) And my blood-sugar control nowadays is so good that I expect to have no long-term complications.

Smoking spliffs - with tobacco - will probably kill me.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carry on reading the forum, I think for all the tales of woe there are as many where people have turned the diabetes monster into a friend for life or at least an ally (sp??) - as we're actually in many ways healthier and possibly happier since we've turned our lives around after being diagnosed.

I've lost some much needed weight, reverted from my almost permanent zombie like state into a something resembling normal person again, and greatly improved my diet. I also have at least a 38" bust, but as it's old and rather saggy, I could well do without that, thankyou!! :D

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I struggled at first but that was worries with job etc but now I am fine with it ! I also have a 38" bust :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 7 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst I would say I'm not that over the moon about having diabetes, I'm at the place now where its just part of me, and carting my diabetic kit, hypo treatment etc is just the norm, no different from keys, wallet, phone. Big struggle at the start, just learning carb counting,meds etc, but am much more like I used to be pre diabetic days now. can't really see a plus side to being diabetic though lol.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

swine1

Hi.
I was doing some patient blood monitoring 10 years ago and decided to do my own. Shock horror I had the Big D Diagnosed type 2. I was not overweight had no symptoms at all and still don't to this day. Whenever I read or watch health related media, Diabetes is mentioned, its no longer an illness its a lifestyle. Its linked to every other illness from a sore toe to headaches. Now at 70 I still have no symptoms but I do have a very large P and a 38" Bust. Why don't they just give us a break? We are not all the same symptom its our lifestyle.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
At the moment, only 11 days in, I'm quite glad at being diagnosed T2 as it's given me the incentive to do the diet and exercise changes that I wanted to do but never had the discipline to do. I'm happy with LCHF and feel better in myself than I did a week ago.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I hardly ever think about being diabetic. I test my blood 3 times a day inject twice a day and that's it! My bloods are not perfect, im trying to cut down again on the sweet foods I adore, I will never low carb as I don't like the foods that are good for you. I'm never ill as many diabetics seem to be.

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got to say that although today has left me a little down, it's because of the confusing advice the nurse gave me. I'll admit it..I'm a slob who's let herself go. I'm very overweight and this is now the kick up the bum I needed to change my lifestyle. Even hubby is doing this too. He's got a few conditions that leave him struggling with mobility so he's put the pounds on. I'll have up and down days but given how ill the abscesses, etc, were making me..at least now I can work on it. I have to keep my humour. I like to think I'm a half full lass instead of half empty.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
I've been type one nearly 10 yrs and I must say that out of all my illnesses i like this one the best lol, i guess its because this is the only one i can do something about:)

Reactions: 6 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel better physically, mentally and emotionally since being diagnosed, changing to LCHF, quitting grains and getting my Vitamin D levels right than I can recall at any earlier stage of my life - the thought of going back to the way I was is more than enough motivation to keep me on the straight and narrow.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's not all dull & gloom, no one can say with any certainty that they won't get complications further down the road but much can be done to prevent them, as Brett says there's not a lot of positives but eating healthier than one might do without having diabetes and get regular blood checks has to be a bonus.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The way I feel is, why worry about something that we can't change. We have to accept and adapt and definitely not be beaten!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Happy with weight loss. Happy coz getting fit again. Happy coz caught quite early. Would like occasional day off. Hideous week- pranged car, 1st hypo involving paramedic (scary) and huge row with cow of a doctors receptionist and conflict ind advice from doc and hospital. Ate 3 chocs today and bs rocketed up to 9.8. Yes I know very sill but going on bike ride but last minute visitor so couldn't go. We don't normally have choccies but given as present and just wanted a couple before I let the kids have them. Usually upbeat but feel a bit down. Oh well, tomorrow's a new day! Lol!

SmileyB4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If diabetes has given me any benefits, it's made me who I am today. Unfortunately now that I've entered the '30 years' of having diabetes, I'm starting to feel less proud of the fact I have it. Because of the media and 'diabetes' being caused by bad diets and bad lifestyles, I no longer want to tell people I have type 1 diabetes. I always use to be proud that I'm healthy and I get on with life....

A shame really, but if I didn't have diabetes, I wouldn't have the strength or understanding I do have for my daughter. My testing kit and pump are now part of me. Appreciating every day that life gives me, it could always be worse!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On a slightly more serious note, is it worth considering a dating section on the forum?

LOL Oh, so that's what this is about...!?

I've known a couple of women in the past (Mainly "Goth" types.) that have taken too much of an interest in my diabetes control practices...
Only to work out down the line they get "turned on" by the blood letting & piercing involved..
"Start the car?!!"

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
LOL Oh, so that's what this is about...!?

I've known a couple of women in the past (Mainly "Goth" types.) that have taken too much of an interest in my diabetes control practices...
Only to work out down the line they get "turned on" by the blood letting & piercing involved..
"Start the car?!!"
B***er the car - RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
image.jpg

Reactions: 3 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
You got no idea.. I'm attempting to moderate due to the "mixed company" on here. But one of them had some "dark ideas" involving my D stuff that would make the movie directors Jennifer Chambers Lynch Or Tom Six flinch...!!
Hope you gave a false name nd address! If not, I would move! image.jpg