Help me!

ChloeAlisha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had type one for nearly two years now, but over the last six months, I've really been struggling to get a grip on my BG levels.

Basically, I know that my long lasting is working because my morning figures are in between 4 and 7 mmols but my issue lies with the fact that my BG get very high, very quickly.

When I tested at lunch today, my reading was 21.1 mmols and that's not the highest its been. Sometimes I do forget to inject or reset, which I know that I shouldn't, but sometimes, I suppose I get too involved in what I'm doing.

I'm really worried about complications and serious health issues that can arise from high BG readings.

Any advice???

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

inhil1982

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
O.k right I do 1 until to 10 carbs. Its tjay what you do? It will take a couple of day for you busy to get set. I try and have the same things for about 3 days for breakfast and you can wotk out how much insulin if different?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Ok, if you forget or miscalculate your insulin, you are always going to have problems. I don't want to preach but it needs to become second nature.
Couple of things need to be considered, you mention your basal insulin is OK as you wake up on target but what are levels prior to bedtime ? Lastly, to get back on track, you need to keep a detailed diary of BG levels, carbs, insulin taken and any exercise. If you try to be as accurate as possible, you should start to see patterns in your readings which may need adjusting. It's not uncommon to have different insulin/carb ratios for different times of day or at weekends etc. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

devexity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been in the same situation for the last year, and totally failed to get a handle on it because I put it at the back of my list of priorities. I've just been signed off work by the doctor so I can stay at home, monitor and record everything obsessively, and try to get a much better sense of how my body works. A little humiliating that it's necessary, but it is necessary. Could you try something similar?

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
5 times a day, and I do carb count, however at times I get it wrong.

Everyone makes mistakes carb counting, it's in the nature of the beast. But with consistent highs after meals you probably need to increase your insulin:carb ratio. Or if the highs are not just after meals, it may be that your long acting (basal) injection is covering the night Ok but not covering the daytime properly. You might need to switch to twice daily basal injections for better basal coverage.

Post some numbers and times for BG, insulin, carbs during a typical problem day.

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One of the most useful things I have done recently is had a continuous blood glucose monitoring system fitted by my diabetes team. I had to wear it for 6 days, making a note of all my food, insulin, blood test results (to ensure the sensor was functioning correctly) and exercise. I then went back for an appointment today to discuss the results, and it was fascinating to see the consistency of where highs and lows were happening. If this is something your diabetes team offers, it is a really worthwhile exercise. It will give you a much clearer picture of where your highs and lows are, and if there is a pattern to them. It will also get you to focus on your injections and food intake, and just doing that can also improve control.

Reactions: 2 people