Pump Approved :))

H

Hooked

Well home connected with the saline in not all that bad and a bag full of stuff including homework for Monday set change Friday watch this space :) got a black animas vibe
Cool. I got a silver animas vibe; no choice of colour in my clinic! Have fun playing with it. :)

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
Yeah I will we never really got a choice there were 4 on the table all vibe and it was where u sat was what u got but I figured this out as I walked in the room for those that know me I would have been a laughing stock with a pink 1 im not a pink person happy with black would have been my second choice

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
blimey, we have it easy in Cambridgeshire, you can have them in any colour available

Reactions: 5 people

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi jackie100 they like you to have saline first to get used to wearing it it also needs a vial in it with liquid to allow you to use some of the features during training I have to log on and register with dials end rean a couple of guides on the pump and set change for Monday I have to do a set change on Friday and then we do another 1 on Monday when the insulin is Putin and ratios and Basals are entered

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi jackie100 they like you to have saline first to get used to wearing it it also needs a vial in it with liquid to allow you to use some of the features during training I have to log on and register with dials end rean a couple of guides on the pump and set change for Monday I have to do a set change on Friday and then we do another 1 on Monday when the insulin is Putin and ratios and Basals are entered
Was I unusual being put on insulin immediately then?!

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's just that when I spoke to the dsn the other day she said the pump would be fitted on the 30th and she said she would ring me a couple of days before so that I could start to drop some of my lantus beforehand in readiness so was assuming I was going on straight away !

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
You maybe are I have heard of others doing this if time limits them or ur pct maybe do it. a different way o quite like the few days to play before being allowed to cause damage to myself

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah I think I would quite like the idea of having a play first but maybe that's the way they do it oh we'll we shall see I just hope I don't mess it up lol

H

Hooked

Was I unusual being put on insulin immediately then?!

Type 1 diagnosed 1990
HBa1c current 8.3
Pump and CGM used (animas vibe)
No. You are just unusual. :p

I had two weeks to play with mine before "going live" with it. TBH a week would have been enough. Esp as I ran out of cartridges and insertion devices to play with at the start of my second week, lol. (Just got two home to try.) Was good to familiarise myself with how the pump works without fear of hitting the wrong button and buggering myself up.

phil55494

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am going through the feel the fear and just do it phase. Straight onto insulin. I suppose it all depends on the clinic, those doing the instruction and the person getting the pump.

Reactions: 2 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It was useful for me to have a week on saline because a lot of what takes getting used to about the pump is nothing to do with dosing and control. Dosing and control is the big challenge so it was helpful to get some of the other stuff out of the way before starting on insulin. I'm talking about stuff like where to wear the pump, how to change infusion sets, how to go to the toilet, how to sleep at night, fear of tangling tube and pulling things out, etc.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No. You are just unusual. :p

I had two weeks to play with mine before "going live" with it. TBH a week would have been enough. Esp as I ran out of cartridges and insertion devices to play with at the start of my second week, lol. (Just got two home to try.) Was good to familiarise myself with how the pump works without fear of hitting the wrong button and buggering myself up.
Addenbrookes gives us a week to play with it starting one Tuesday, then you go back the next Tuesday to go live.

Looking like October fro me with all my work commitments lined up.

H

Hooked

Addenbrookes gives us a week to play with it starting one Tuesday, then you go back the next Tuesday to go live.

Looking like October fro me with all my work commitments lined up.
You're a busy man! Are you not itching to get your hands on it like NOW?!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're a busy man! Are you not itching to get your hands on it like NOW?!
yes, but they won't get me in quicker. The problem is finding two successive Tuesdays.

For the September dates one week I'm on a gas plant in Yorkshire, then second week I'm due to fly to a gas plant in Algeria the following day - maybe not a good idea. For the October dates, I only have to cancel one job at a pharmaceutical site in Port Elizabeth.

I was not suppposed to be on a pump choice day until August, but I'm already booked that week as well. Trouble is that my calendar gets booked 6 months to a year ahead.

The only other consecutive Tuesdays I have free at the moment are last week of May, 1st week of June and I can't see anything happening that quick.

Jackie100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
We'll maybe I'm going straight on with no saline because I have been on the accu-chek aviva expert for the last 3 months and that is half the part of the accu-chek combo where your learn all the carbs part of it and it tells you most of what you need on the pump , I dunno I'm just guessing lol